Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2465117 - 03/18/13 09:43 PM whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property
wvyotehunter68 Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: wv
I got the property posted and got a gate on the only road that goes into the property. But the gate don't help much.people have shot and cut the locks when they want in.

#2465434 - 03/19/13 09:47 AM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: wvyotehunter68]
DesertRam Offline
Director/Moderator

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
Infrared game camera set up over the gate/lock? Is photographic evidence of this nature admissible in court?

#2465436 - 03/19/13 09:51 AM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: DesertRam]
Diogee Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: State of confusion
I can't expect any expectation of privacy when someone is trespassing.

#2465440 - 03/19/13 09:54 AM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: Diogee]
SkyPup Offline

Loc: Florida
Game cam video is prima facia evidence in courts here for trespassing and/or poaching, while photographs are not...

Blood -> The Ultimate Biofuel
You can not argue with a sick mind.

#2465473 - 03/19/13 10:44 AM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: DesertRam]
fw707 Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Roadside watermelon stand
Originally Posted By: DesertRam
Infrared game camera set up over the gate/lock? Is photographic evidence of this nature admissible in court?

The admissibility of photographic evidence would probably depend on the judge hearing the case. I would think that most judges would welcome photographs and video.
Have you contacted your conservation officer? If not, give him or her a call and advise them that you have a recurring problem and signs and locked gates haven't been effective.
If you find somebody on the property get all of the information you can get, such as vehicle descriptions, license numbers, and any personal info that's easily obtained. Call the CO as soon as possible, give them the information, and be available to go to court and testify and assist in the prosecution in any way you can.

There's a difference in folks that accidentally stray onto property with unmarked boundaries, and chronic trespassers that cut locks and fences.
Warnings don't work on the chronic offenders. They need to be dealt with by the court systems.

Carl Sagan

#2465550 - 03/19/13 12:21 PM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: wvyotehunter68]
wvyotehunter68 Offline
Seasoned Member

I havnt contacted gw yet but I am next time there's a problem. I have a relative who's a cop that hunts with me sometimes I would love to.catch him or them when hes hunting with me. Here in wv u can arrest anyone that's trespassing on your property the landowner can. Plus its in his jurisdiction. I've tried the infrared cam they just shot it numerous times with a shotgun . It destroyerd the whole camera, card and all. Don't no how they found it I had it hid really good. Always thought about making my own gate so that I can make it impossible to shoot or cut the lock since I'm a welder. My buddy did this and hasn't had a problem since but it was a pretty pricey job. I no I'm going to be haveing more problems shortly since the turkeys are gobbling. I think I might try stakeing the place out Here soon.

#2465551 - 03/19/13 12:22 PM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: wvyotehunter68]
wvyotehunter68 Offline
Seasoned Member

Thanks for the ideas guys

#2465563 - 03/19/13 12:44 PM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: wvyotehunter68]
DesertRam Offline
Director/Moderator

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
Be careful if you stake the place out. If these guys are cutting locks, fences, and destroying other personal property, they may not be totally against a personal confrontation with you. Things can get ugly in a hurry when parties are armed. Just look out for yourself. smile

#2465576 - 03/19/13 01:04 PM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: DesertRam]
fw707 Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Roadside watermelon stand
Originally Posted By: DesertRam
Be careful if you stake the place out. If these guys are cutting locks, fences, and destroying other personal property, they may not be totally against a personal confrontation with you. Things can get ugly in a hurry when parties are armed. Just look out for yourself. smile

Excellent advice!
Leave the confrontations to the LE folks.

In a lot of states destruction of property, like your camera, would bump a simple hunting without consent violation up to a criminal trespass charge.
Trespass is a more serious offense and carries a higher penalty.

A good solid pipe gate with a box welded over the lock attachment would be a big expense and a lot of work, but it would go a long ways in correcting the problem.

Carl Sagan

#2465584 - 03/19/13 01:22 PM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: wvyotehunter68]
Fursniper Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: AZ
Another idea is to contact a local security alarm business and inquire about getting an intrusion sensor installed by the gate.

Edited by Fursniper (03/19/13 01:34 PM)

Make time to create a conservationist.

#2465586 - 03/19/13 01:28 PM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: wvyotehunter68]
Tbone-AZ Offline
PM senior

Loc: AZ, Phoenix
Maybe a motion sensing solar light, i would get a cheap one, since they may shoot it.
But a light might be nice for you and let them know it's being monitored.
I also saw somewhere they had fake security camera's for $10. Just hang a fake idea under the light and that should do it.

#2465753 - 03/19/13 05:29 PM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: fw707]
wvyotehunter68 Offline
Seasoned Member

Fw 707 that's the kind I was thinking a bout building. My friend has it . It stopped his problems.

#2465754 - 03/19/13 05:31 PM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: wvyotehunter68]
wvyotehunter68 Offline
Seasoned Member

Im thinking about the fake security camera idea. I already have a sign on the gate that says smile for the camera.

#2465756 - 03/19/13 05:34 PM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: DesertRam]
wvyotehunter68 Offline
Seasoned Member

These guys don't cut fences atleast bobwire. They drive through them I saw this on another guys property in the area.

#2465877 - 03/19/13 08:40 PM Re: whats the best way to keep people from poaching on your property [Re: wvyotehunter68]
Fursniper Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: AZ
What would also work is a seizmic sensor. It is a sensor that is buried a few inches underground so it cannot be seen and transmits a radio signal or calls a cell phone number when ground vibrations are detected. Seizmic sensors can detect the difference between a vehicle and an animal and are primarily used by the military, law enforcement, and commercial security companies. Try contacting a local security alarm company to see what they have available to help you.

Make time to create a conservationist.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.