Missouri Night hunting

RJM Acres

Any Missouri game wardens here ?

Trying to figure out the reasoning behind landowners not being
able to use lights for night hunting on our own properties.
Same for agents of the landowners. I do predator control for
quite a few farms and ranches in my area.

Way to many coyotes and dogs killing calves, goats, etc. and
that usually happens at night.

As it stands now, we're supposed to call and get help from the
local DNR folks or wildlife damage control folks. That takes
time and usually doesn't do much good.

I was going to ask the same question.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresAny Missouri game wardens here ?

Trying to figure out the reasoning behind landowners not being
able to use lights for night hunting on our own properties.
Same for agents of the landowners. I do predator control for
quite a few farms and ranches in my area.

Way to many coyotes and dogs killing calves, goats, etc. and
that usually happens at night.

As it stands now, we're supposed to call and get help from the
local DNR folks or wildlife damage control folks. That takes
time and usually doesn't do much good.

Here is what a Mo Dept of conservation agent responded in another forum

The question:

I have a question regarding Artificial Lights and hunting in Missouri. I have been advised both ways and wanted to get it straight from the state. I saw a thread that addressed lights but not landowners. I read at http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/Documents/2116.pdf on page 15 “Artificial Lights may be used only to hunt bullfrogs and green frogs, or to hunt raccoons and other furbearing animals when treed with the aid of dogs. Using lights or any other night vision or thermal imagery equipment to search for, spot, illuminate, harass or disturb other wildlife is a violation of the Wildlife Code. This rule does not apply to landowners on their property.”

May I, as a landowner, on my property, not on a roadway, use an artificial light to shoot nuisance coyotes who have been eating my chickens?

The reply:

The answer to your question is No. Landowners may not use a light to hunt coyotes.
(B) Artificial Light. No person shall throw or cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight, or
other artificial light on any highway or roadway, whether public or private, or in any
field, woodland, or forest for the purpose of spotting, locating, or attempting to take or hunt any game animal, except raccoons or other furbearing animals when treed with the aid of dogs, while having in possession or control, either singly or as one (1) of a group of persons, any firearm, bow, or other implement whereby game could be killed.

The landowner exemption is for landowners checking on their property and livestock.

My opinion: You should contact your local agent and ask for permission to use a light on predators destroying livestock on your own land. I can tell you for certain that if you do get their blessing or offer to look the other way, that it will not apply to property you do not own.

Well, I sure don't agree with that law.
Livestock owners need to be able to protect their property.
I wonder how it would play out in court.
In these parts, I'm guessing if you were on your own land it
would probably get dismissed.

Originally Posted By: RJM AcresWell, I sure don't agree with that law.
Livestock owners need to be able to protect their property.
I wonder how it would play out in court.
In these parts, I'm guessing if you were on your own land it
would probably get dismissed.

Methinks you are most likely correct, or a very minimum fine. It wouldn't hurt to contact your area agent and see what he says on the subject. Some of them are more understanding than others

I inspect dairy farms in S. Mo. and had a farmer at West Plains who was checking his cows about 20 or so years ago with a spotlight and rifle. The coyotes were killing calves. Then got to eating them as the cows were giving birth. Then got to eating the hind end out of the cows while they were giving birth. The MDC saw him one night from a plane. The guy on the ground gave him a ticket for spotlighting. He fought it in court for about 3-4 years and ended up losing. Even had vids of the coyotes eating calves during the birthing process. The game wardens WILL ticket people for this, farmer or not. I do not agree with it either. I think farmers should be exempted IF they call the GW and let him know prior.

The only way to legally hunt coyotes at night is under a moon on the snow with a mouth call. No light or electronic call. I have done this, but how often do we get snow here with a full moon?

Bad law.

Hard to let the GW know ahead of time.
Those predators don't give advance notice when they are going
to go after calves or goats.

Originally Posted By: BaldknobberI inspect dairy farms in S. Mo. and had a farmer at West Plains who was checking his cows about 20 or so years ago with a spotlight and rifle. The coyotes were killing calves. Then got to eating them as the cows were giving birth. Then got to eating the hind end out of the cows while they were giving birth. The MDC saw him one night from a plane. The guy on the ground gave him a ticket for spotlighting. He fought it in court for about 3-4 years and ended up losing. Even had vids of the coyotes eating calves during the birthing process. The game wardens WILL ticket people for this, farmer or not. I do not agree with it either. I think farmers should be exempted IF they call the GW and let him know prior.

The only way to legally hunt coyotes at night is under a moon on the snow with a mouth call. No light or electronic call. I have done this, but how often do we get snow here with a full moon?

Are you sure you can't use an e-caller at night? I thought you were allowed to use an e-caller if you wanted but of course no electronic/artificial lights can be used. I think that portion of the law changed a few years ago but I could be wrong.

I'm making some inquiries to find out the whys on this.
Makes no sense to be able to use dogs and lights on coons
but not other predators.
Makes no sense that landowners can't check their own property
with a light and a gun either.

Kind of goes against the state law on defending your property.

I know that Indiana has a specific section for Nuisance animals. Perhaps your state has one as well.
smile.gif

This law mainly exist because missouri is a big deer hunting state, and we dont need people spot lighting the deer.
This is what i was told by the missouri department of conservation.
Me personally i think its crap.
But we cant run hounds durying day light hours of deer season either.
Poachers dont care what the law says there gonna do it anyway.

My first fight will be for landowners or their agents being
able to get out and protect their stock at night without
getting arrested or hassled for using a light and a gun.

I moved to MO from IL 1 1/2 years ago. MO has great gun laws, but terrible hunting laws. The only thing they care about is deer and turkey hunting of which I could care less about. IL had a 24/7 predator season from 10/15-2/15, NV & Thermal OK. MO has no predator season, no night hunting, no NV or thermal. My Gen 3 D740, Gen 3 PVS14 and LS64 are useless. I own 466 ac that is nothing but work, that is useless to me. It is for sale, I'm moving on.

Originally Posted By: cmatera I moved to MO from IL 1 1/2 years ago. MO has great gun laws, but terrible hunting laws. MO has no predator season, no night hunting, no NV or thermal.

I would have to disagree with you on the hunting laws. Mo is one of the most friendly Gun AND Hunting states in the nation.

What do you need a season for? You can hunt coyotes year round here except for a short window in the spring. That beats out a 4 month season in my book.

Your wrong about night hunting. You can hunt at night in Mo just with no artificial light. I have called a bunch in and killed them under the moon light. Change up your equipment and get it done.

No NV or thermal when you have a firearm on you or persons with you would be correct.

Back