Questions on the 338 win mag

roode301

I am looking to trade into a rem 700 sendaro in 338wm and need to know if it is any good for say 1000 yard or so. I know it is a great hunting cal but how about long range shooting. Thanks Guys.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. You can use any slug the .338 Lapua uses.

Just looked at Hodgdon's reloading data which shows:
.338 Win, 275 gr Speer - 2564 300 Gr Sierra HPBT - 2441

.338 Lapua, 275 gr Speer - 2761, 300 Gr Sierra HPBT - 2667

So, the Lapua gives 200-220fps more velocity. Thinking another way, the .338 Win starts a 275 gr slug at almost the same velocity as a .308 Win does a 168 gr Federal Gold Medal Match and no one sneezes at that.

Just ran the numbers on the JBM site and at 1000 yds, the Sierra HPBT still has 1406 fps/1318 ft lbs, still adequate for elk. Don

Last edited:
Seems a bit much for me(recoil/blast), just personal preference. I top out with the 300 WSM, that's usually more than enough.

Not sure why anyone would choose either of those bullets for said task, as both are poor choices given the alternatives, IMO.

As for the 308 Win comparison, the 308 SUCKS beyond 800 yds and is in no way even close to one of the better 1000yd cartridges IME.

What will this 338 be used for? Paper? Competition? Prone? Bench-rested?

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunNot sure why anyone would choose either of those bullets for said task, as both are poor choices given the alternatives, IMO.

As for the 308 Win comparison, the 308 SUCKS beyond 800 yds and is in no way even close to one of the better 1000yd cartridges IME.

What will this 338 be used for? Paper? Competition? Prone? Bench-rested?

He didn't specify what he wanted to do at 1000 yds. If he's just shooting paper, not many slugs with better BCs than the 300gr HPBT Sierra. I didn't do any shopping for hunting slugs but even there, easy to get some high BC expanding slugs.

Of course I know the .308 is marginal beyond 800 but it's a standard that many people know. Don

If it were me, I would run 250gr Bergers. Can be pushed faster due to lighter weight. Better for killing critters also, I would imagine. Although I haven't done it with said bullet. Less recoil also. It's a win/win IMO.

Then you have the 300gr Berger with even higher BCs.........

Originally Posted By: roode301I am looking to trade into a rem 700 sendaro in 338wm and need to know if it is any good for say 1000 yard or so. I know it is a great hunting cal but how about long range shooting. Thanks Guys.

I've got 338mag it's one of my elk rifles and if I was looking for something for LR 338 I might look at the 338 Edge. I think it's lot easier working with that type case capacity vs 338mag.

I like the 338mag case and I've been shooting 30x338mag since the mid 80's. Gunsmith that does my work has few customer that are shooting 338 Lapua for the tactical match down at the NRA center and I think there shooting 1/10 twist barrels for the 300gr Bergers.

With bullets in the range of 210 to 250 grains, the 338 Win Mag has and will continue to be an excellent one cartridge hunting round for anything from deer to much larger animals in North America, including Coastal Brown Bears.

If you want to punch paper at long ranges with it, there are suitable bullets for doing that. However, keep in mind that due to contruction differences that a good long range target bullet might not be a good medium to long range hunting bullet.

Back