Legal shooting times

Outwest1

well Stu, i don't know if you're the one that started this ask "the game warden" forum but i'll start it off. first off i have all the respect in the world for an honest + ethical + hard working warden. one of my best friends was a warden all his career. he was one of the finest men i've ever known. so that's where i'm coming from.
not long ago i had a former warden tell me with a laugh that he use to send one of his officers out in the marsh to shoot a shotgun before legal shooting time just to entice hunters to start shooting early so they could write tickets! now i'm not saying it's right to shoot before Lst just that it's not right to try and entice someone to break the law either! what's a wardens opinion on that?
my 2nd question to any federal warden?
how can it be legal to plant a 100 acre field of corn, build a dike around it for the sole purpose of hunting waterfowl over it when it is flooded, which is not a "common" farming practice, yet if a guy throws out a cup of corn in front of his blind he's baiting!
ok Stu, lets see them respond to those!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: jglynnbust his balls the 1st week!! lol

jglynn, go back and read Stu's first post:

Originally Posted By: Stu FarishDisclaimer:
Some of the things we would like to see the forum accomplish are as follows:

Provide a friendly environment for members to interact with game wardens to foster a better understanding and spirit of cooperation .

The forum wasn't set up for "ball busting".
Any questions or positive comments that you'd like to contribute will be welcome, and we will do our best to help.

Originally Posted By: Outwest1well Stu, i don't know if you're the one that started this ask "the game warden" forum but i'll start it off.

Outwest1, Stu is the webmaster. He set up all of the tech stuff and got this forum up and running for us.
Fursniper and I will be the moderators. We'll do our best to answer your questions, or refer you to a source where you can find the answers you need.

Thanks for the questions!

Originally Posted By: Outwest1
not long ago i had a former warden tell me with a laugh that he use to send one of his officers out in the marsh to shoot a shotgun before legal shooting time just to entice hunters to start shooting early so they could write tickets! now i'm not saying it's right to shoot before Lst just that it's not right to try and entice someone to break the law either! what's a wardens opinion on that?

I think the former warden was pulling your leg, and you fell for it hook, line, and sinker!
grin.gif

Honest sportsmen aren't enticed into violating the law.
That would be like putting out a decoy deer in the forest. A person can decide to shoot or not. The decoy has nothing to do with changing the intent of the person to break the law.
An early shot in the distance in the marsh isn't going to make a violator out of a legal hunter.

Originally Posted By: Outwest1
my 2nd question to any federal warden?
how can it be legal to plant a 100 acre field of corn, build a dike around it for the sole purpose of hunting waterfowl over it when it is flooded, which is not a "common" farming practice, yet if a guy throws out a cup of corn in front of his blind he's baiting!
ok Stu, lets see them respond to those!

Fursniper and I have discussed this one. Neither of us were Federal F&W officers, and neither of us worked busy waterfowl areas in our employment as state wildlife officers.
I do know, from occasionally working areas where dove hunting was popular, that the Feds have very specific regs on planting crops in hunting areas.
If you'll send me a pm and tell me exactly where you live or intend to hunt I'll get you the contact info for the Federal Agent in charge of that area. I'm sure they would be glad to give you very specific answers to all of your questions.

Thanks for getting the new forum kicked off!!

outwest1 the few times i have hunted wy. i have found th wardens and biologists to be some of the nicest people and the most help to hunters i have ever met. i have met legend wardens in ca. and others. they have tough jobs and most do it well.

just to set the record straight i did'nt intend to bust any balls, the 1st question you could be right, don't think he was joking, but maybe. the 2nd question is something that has always irritated me, not that i have no intention of baiting, just that when i watch a huntin show + they're hunting in standing "flooded" corn it makes me wonder isn't that baiting?
+ yes i will pm you to get a contact # thanks

Back