pump action rifles and scopes?

redneck101

i have heard from 2 different people now that the scopes on pump action rifles move around alot more than a bolt action etc... i dont get it they are the same thing and the pump has nothing to do with the scope it doesnt make sense to many anybody else got one and can iget a opinion? i have a model 760 by the way opinions or first hand expereinces please?

Originally Posted By: redneck101i dont get it they are the same thing and the pump has nothing to do with the scope it doesnt make sense to many

Wow. That is one long sentence. But if you take your time and come up for air, I think you'll find that you already answered your own question.....

I have a 760 in 30-06, scope has never moved yet. I have shot 500-600 rounds through it, scope is always right on.

Quote: heard from 2 different people now that the scopes on pump action rifles move around alot more...I would suggest that you know two people that don't have their scopes mounted properly...

There have been a lot of Deer taken with pump action rifles with scopes mounted on them and the owners only take them out during Deer season...

That semi famous deer hunting family from Maine likes the pump rifle, that may be reason enough to get one. As I recall they like open sights, at least while their eyes were good.

My good friend owns two... one is Remington 141 in 35 Remington that has a period Lyman scope on it that was mounted on the gun new in 1943. It hasn't moved or been adjusted since then. The other a Model 760 in 3006 with an early Leupold VXii 3x9. Probably shot a1000 rounds thru it. Hasn't moved or had to be readjusted. This guy doesn't fool around with scopes.

I can see/understand that some shotgun models don't do well with a receiver mounted scope, but I'm not aware of any pump rifles that have that design (modular, barrel is somewhat "floating").

The pump rifles I played with had some cheekweld issues, requiring a riser. Maybe that's why your buddies don't like them? Floating your face over the stock is a great way to hurt your accuracy.

Quote:i have heard from 2 different people now that the scopes on pump action rifles move around alot more than a bolt action etc

Any chance these guys work at the LGS? About par from the coarse. Don't sweat it or even try to understand it. Just chalk it up as if they had said "grass is blue" and move on.

Originally Posted By: Hunter GathererMy good friend owns two... one is Remington 141 in 35 Remington that has a period Lyman scope on it that was mounted on the gun new in 1943.

This is the best pump action deer rifle ever produced, by FAR, IMO. Better than the pumps those Benoits and Berniers are fond of. Not that their 760s suck, they just aren't in the same league as a 141 IMO.......

Originally Posted By: redneck101i have heard from 2 different people now that the scopes on pump action rifles move around alot more than a bolt action etc... i dont get it they are the same thing and the pump has nothing to do with the scope it doesnt make sense to many anybody else got one and can iget a opinion? i have a model 760 by the way opinions or first hand expereinces please?

Those people you spoke with that offered that information don't know ________ about the topic at hand. Fill the blank with the appropriate expletive.

Originally Posted By: 2muchgun Originally Posted By: Hunter GathererMy good friend owns two... one is Remington 141 in 35 Remington that has a period Lyman scope on it that was mounted on the gun new in 1943.

This is the best pump action deer rifle ever produced, by FAR, IMO. Better than the pumps those Benoits and Berniers are fond of. Not that their 760s suck, they just aren't in the same league as a 141 IMO.......

His is a very nice one in excellent condition for a 70 year old rifle. He still hunts with it at least once a year. The scope is a bit challenging but fun.

I took a couple of deer with mine about 8-9 yrs. ago and haven't used it since. It has an old Redfield on it.

They don't make pump guns of that quality any more. They stopped making it because it was too expensive to produce. When you think about it, these rifles are a STEAL at the $400 or so you can pick one up for.....

I had a very nice 760 BDL .270 many years ago. That rifle was not only pretty, it was accurate enough to see some fun on groundhogs, not to mention the many deer it dropped. I never had any problems with a scope on it.

Of the probably hundreds of 760 "PA Machine Guns" I know of in operation in this state, I dont know of any that have the issues you ask about. 760 scope mounting bases and rings systems are VERY similar to those of bolt guns, so I see no connection in the comments. Your friends need either better mounting systems, or LockTite and a screwdriver along with the knowledge to use them properly.

I have several thoughts on your posit. The Rem 760 is a higky sought after rifle in ME/VT/NH for good reason - it has taken alt of deer. The Benoits, from VT - they like to hunt in Maine, particularly have boosted that action for a long time and the locals love it. If you find one in the rack around here it is most likely heavily used.

Your friends scope rings are possibly inferior/incapable of holding the scope due to design/quality/mounting.

Take your pick but, I will say the 760 pump action is not the root cause of poor shooting/scope performance.

T2G

Originally Posted By: muskrat30 That semi famous deer hunting family from Maine likes the pump rifle, that may be reason enough to get one. As I recall they like open sights, at least while their eyes were good.
In the past they used both open and peep sights.These days the Benoit's are using Trijicon scopes.
http://www.benoitsbigbucks.com/order/FORMORDER3.html
They look great for hunting most anything but the price is out of my range.

Back