Best way to de-activate a primer....

Originally Posted By: 2muchgunWell, I was going to state that I would think it would take a long time to completely deactivate with WD-40, then I read that. Good read, never seen it before.

I must admit, I've never heard of anyone doing this, but apparently it has been discussed.

That said, I have no idea why someone would want to actually do it given the other faster/easier alternatives, so I'll bow out now
grin.gif

I don't know why it keeps coming up, and I can not, for the life of me, understand why someone would say that the anvil will shoot out the front of the barrel. It keeps amazing me, the lengths people will go to fabricate some BS and tell it with a straight face.

I have punched well over 20,000 primers in my life (never did one go off) - usually because I bought a bunch of primed brass with some unknown or undesirable primers in them that were not suitable, so I punched them.

It has never been a big deal, but now it seems like punching primers is a life and death issue and comes up every few weeks (along with the 223 vs 5.56mm thingie
smile.gif
).

Can I get my 2 cents in?
A few years ago on witch board I don't remember We set about to find the truth about killing primers. I did as others WD40, KRoil, motor oil, water, soapy water, and I don't know how many creations we came up with. This was done in primed cases, several for each solution, and fired in a gun at day week and 2 week intervals. Guess what, they all fired.

In almost 50 years of reloading I have had one primer not fire and have no idea why it didn't and with competition shotgun plus a whole lot of varmint shooting I would not try to guess how many rounds I have put down a bore. Other than the once in a while, long while of reloading a spent primed case never had prime problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LEN
Can I get my 2 cents in?
A few years ago on witch board I don't remember We set about to find the truth about killing primers. I did as others WD40, KRoil, motor oil, water, soapy water, and I don't know how many creations we came up with. This was done in primed cases, several for each solution, and fired in a gun at day week and 2 week intervals. Guess what, they all fired.

I LOVE the benchrest guys that say you can't touch the primers with your bare hands, because the oil on your finger tips will kill the primers.

Those boys need a new life.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43I would be more concerned about de-activating the WD 40 in the cartridge case so it didn't de-activate the powder when you reload the case.

That was my first thought too. How would you clean the case thoroughly enough after the fact? Boiling water?? Run it through the tumbler??

Originally Posted By: Greg_MeyerOkay.... A primed case(s) no powder or bullet... what is the best way to de-activate the primer so it can be decapped?

bombsquad.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Don QuixoteJust deprime as usual, and wear safety glasses. If you decide to shoot them, be cautious, as the anvil can still be propelled out the end of the barrel. Do it outside in a safe manner.

The anvil CANNOT be propelled out the end of the barrel - where do you get this stuff??

The internet! It can't be on the internet if it isn't true!

Originally Posted By: BroncoGlennOriginally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Don QuixoteJust deprime as usual, and wear safety glasses. If you decide to shoot them, be cautious, as the anvil can still be propelled out the end of the barrel. Do it outside in a safe manner.

The anvil CANNOT be propelled out the end of the barrel - where do you get this stuff??

The internet! It can't be on the internet if it isn't true!

Where did you hear that???

On the internet!

My first out loud laugh of the day!!

It takes a sharp hit to set off a primer, such as a firing pin or hammer. A slow steady push with your decapping die will not set off a primer. BTW An anvil CANNOT get shot out of the barrel. The anvil's feet are against the bottom of the recess on the brass, plus an anvil will not fit thru the flash hole. Lets end this discussion for good.
cursing.gif

Originally Posted By: peterjc

"Lets end this discussion for good."

cursing.gif

Naw... it's too educational to drop now. It's just getting good!!

Originally Posted By: predyotevarmintOriginally Posted By: Greg_MeyerOkay.... A primed case(s) no powder or bullet... what is the best way to de-activate the primer so it can be decapped?

bombsquad.jpg

Now th
thumbup.gif
ats the best one I've seen in a while. Awesome!!

Like others I have punched many a hot primer out of cases. My first attempt I took a big coffee can and cut the bottom out and put it over the press as a shield when punching live primers out. Didn't take me long to just wear my glasses and be sort of gentle with them.

Take them out and berry them in the back yard.

DAB

Originally Posted By: DABLike others I have punched many a hot primer out of cases. My first attempt I took a big coffee can and cut the bottom out and put it over the press as a shield when punching live primers out. Didn't take me long to just wear my glasses and be sort of gentle with them.

Take them out and berry them in the back yard.

DAB

I take them out, and if they are usable for some other purpose, I use them again.

Back