remington 7400

Limomaker

Well I can't afford another gun right now, but I'm taking time to shoot the ones I have got. Got a few questions though. I have been shooting IMR4350 at 41.5 with a 100 grain interlock in my 700 and it does real good. I have a 7400 in 243 that is very useable to hunt with using factory 100 corelokts.

I am wanting to try to reload for it also but I'm a little leary of loading for a gas operated remington. I ended up with this one because of a 30-06 that went south by the death chatter, whole nuther story.

Any ways I am going to try to find some other loads for the 700 because I want an excuse to to shoot and secondly because I want some back up loads for when I can't find any 4350. The powders I have that may work is H4831sc, IMR 4831 and some Varget. I only have 100 grain interloks to use and want to stick with 100 grainers for now. Anyone have any pet loads or suggestions for a load I may try in each gun?

Thanks Ackley, I hear you on the IMR 4350 thats what I am currently using, at 41.5grains. Got a couple of pounds I have been loading for me and a buddy's 7-08. Just wanting to experiment for a back up, using some of the powders I had on hands. I hate being tied to one specific load at times like these. I also was wondering about a lighter load for the 7400.

Well just for the record i tried a round of IMR 4831. Started with 41.5 and stopped at hodgkins 43 max. In the 700 My best group was three in the same tear and a 1/2 inch flyer. Later on I couldn't repeat it but stated in an inch or so. Going to move out to 200 tomorrow and check it out. I don't see how you guys shoot all these wonderful groups consistently. My 3x9 isnn't the greatest I suppose for load development at long ranges

Btw 41.5 and 42 grains were grouping not so bad and seemed real soft. I may try them out in the 7400.

Limomaker, 7400's can be very accurate. Slow powders can be problematic on gas operated guns, do not ask me why.

Medium/slow burning powders can be more consistant day in and day out, especially in cold weather.

Keep the copper out of your barrel, keep the chamber clean, and keep a new magazine in the glove box incase the one you are using gets a little dinged on the mag lips which causes jams.

You are on the low end of the powder charges for what is accurate in the 243 with 4350, the next higher pressure node is around the 42.0-42.5g range with a Win primer with Rem brass.

Keep the copper out of your barrel, Montana Extreme Copper killer and their plastic brushes is the easiest way!

Good luck

Back