Best way to de-activate a primer....

Greg_Meyer

Okay.... A primed case(s) no powder or bullet... what is the best way to de-activate the primer so it can be decapped?

I have heard that filling the case partially with WD-40 and let it sit for 24 hours...

i have always just run it back through the sizing die.even shot one just to see how loud it would be.they don't have much power so as long as there is no bullet to push aganist the lands you could shoot it.

Originally Posted By: Widow maker 223Deprime it like normal.

+1.... I just ware safety glass when I do it, just in case. But I have never had one go off..Jason

Carefully just decap it in your die. Or if paranoid or curious, chamber and shoot it. Quiet enough if could be done in a closed room in town, but wear hearing protection. Neighbors will never know unless you live in a thin walled apartment.

Just deprime as usual, and wear safety glasses. If you decide to shoot them, be cautious, as the anvil can still be propelled out the end of the barrel. Do it outside in a safe manner.

Originally Posted By: Don QuixoteJust deprime as usual, and wear safety glasses. If you decide to shoot them, be cautious, as the anvil can still be propelled out the end of the barrel. Do it outside in a safe manner.

The anvil CANNOT be propelled out the end of the barrel - where do you get this stuff??

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Don QuixoteJust deprime as usual, and wear safety glasses. If you decide to shoot them, be cautious, as the anvil can still be propelled out the end of the barrel. Do it outside in a safe manner.

The anvil CANNOT be propelled out the end of the barrel - where do you get this stuff??

+1 I have an C press set up with a RCBS depriming die. All it does is deprime. Wear safety glasses and catch your primers. Get rid of them in a safe way.

Never had one go off re-doing or should i say having to re-size and deprime a case of any kind. How long have you been re-loading?

Originally Posted By: Greg_MeyerOkay.... A primed case(s) no powder or bullet... what is the best way to de-activate the primer so it can be decapped?

I have heard that filling the case partially with WD-40 and let it sit for 24 hours...

What? Wd-40? Never heard of such a thing. Just decap it. Do you have a decapping die? Just don't slam it, and you'll be fine. I've never had one go off. Although I must say, decapping live primers is not something I've had to do very often.

If they are crimped in military primers, you may have some go boom, or you may want to fire them......

Originally Posted By: Don QuixoteJust deprime as usual, and wear safety glasses. If you decide to shoot them, be cautious, as the anvil can still be propelled out the end of the barrel. Do it outside in a safe manner.

I take it you excessively ream flash holes.

Let me clarify... I have been reloading off and on for 40+ years... And, in that time I have had to deal with a live primer in a case 3 maybe 4 times in the past. I always just chambered and fired it. But, my question came about from a conversation with a friend. He asked what we do with the situation and he stated that he used WD-40 sprayed into the case then de-primed. Hence, my question. It sounded plausible, although I have no first habd knowledge or experience. Two people in the past had warned me about spraying WD on live ammo. Both were in positions where I did not doubt them, the Instructor/Armorer for the Police Academy I attended and the other was an instructor at the S&W Armorers school. So, when I heard this suggestion from my friend I decided to ask here. Sounded like a plausible, idea. Question still is; what will deactivate the primer ?

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Don QuixoteJust deprime as usual, and wear safety glasses. If you decide to shoot them, be cautious, as the anvil can still be propelled out the end of the barrel. Do it outside in a safe manner.

. i the vice president???????????? do it on your porch

I would be more concerned about de-activating the WD 40 in the cartridge case so it didn't de-activate the powder when you reload the case.

Originally Posted By: Greg_MeyerLet me clarify... I have been reloading off and on for 40+ years... And, in that time I have had to deal with a live primer in a case 3 maybe 4 times in the past. I always just chambered and fired it. But, my question came about from a conversation with a friend. He asked what we do with the situation and he stated that he used WD-40 sprayed into the case then de-primed. Hence, my question. It sounded plausible, although I have no first habd knowledge or experience. Two people in the past had warned me about spraying WD on live ammo. Both were in positions where I did not doubt them, the Instructor/Armorer for the Police Academy I attended and the other was an instructor at the S&W Armorers school. So, when I heard this suggestion from my friend I decided to ask here. Sounded like a plausible, idea. Question still is; what will deactivate the primer ?

Not much.

Stu Farish wrote this some time ago, and to say the least, it blows a lot of wive's tales out of the water... (which I love to do).

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/killprimers.shtml

Well, I was going to state that I would think it would take a long time to completely deactivate with WD-40, then I read that. Good read, never seen it before.

I must admit, I've never heard of anyone doing this, but apparently it has been discussed.

That said, I have no idea why someone would want to actually do it given the other faster/easier alternatives, so I'll bow out now
grin.gif

Back