Accuracy question

Ernest II

If the rifling looks good in a barrel how much would that mean towards if the gun will shoot decent? Stupid question I guess but like the question asks , If you clean a barrel on a new /used gun and the rifling looks good would you think the gun would be capable of shooting say a 4 to 6 in group at 300 yards? And wouldnt that be accuracy enough for hunting? I know we all one moa or less but Im thinking out to 300 1 and a half moa would be ok. Correct me if Im wrong.And any help appreciated.
Thanks
Daryl P.

Are you buying a used gun ? If so ask to shoot 1st and then see how you like it. what caliber ? Take it to a gunsmith too, get another opinion, I would think at least a 2 moa at 300 ?? good rest , good day, no wind, etc. good luck

1.5 MOA is fine for hunting. I think the most important thing is knowing your rifle. At 300 yards alot more than accuracy come into play like gravity and wind drift. Not that accuracy isn't important but 1.5 MOA is not terrible. Shoot shoot shoot and get to know the rifle and get comfortable with 300 yard shots. Of course try reloading and try to get your recipe to sub MOA. Any newer rifle is fully capable with the right load. If nothing works i'd have a gunsmith check out the rifle.

Originally Posted By: Ernest IIIf the rifling looks good in a barrel how much would that mean towards if the gun will shoot decent? Stupid question I guess but like the question asks , If you clean a barrel on a new /used gun and the rifling looks good would you think the gun would be capable of shooting say a 4 to 6 in group at 300 yards? And wouldnt that be accuracy enough for hunting? I know we all one moa or less but Im thinking out to 300 1 and a half moa would be ok. Correct me if Im wrong.And any help appreciated.
Thanks
Daryl P.

You can buy cream-puffs that are dogs on target, and beat up rifles that shoot like crazy.

There is nothing you can see when looking at the bore, except if the gun hasn't been cleaned... which tells you nothing.

It is rare that someone will let you shoot it.

So, you judge by the overall looks and how it seems to be taken care of - cross your fingers and dive right in.

^^^ This. One of the most accurate 1911's I have owned only had two grooves still discernible down the full length it was shot so much. Some of the roughest looking machine mark laden bores might be the most accurate, whereas a mirror polished bore might not shoot worth a hoot.

The only reference I really give the bore is checking for ringing, dings to the crown, and how well kept it looks. If it's for sale and filthy, then the guy probably hasn't treated it well.

If it's in good shape and you fall for a lemon, you can take heart that you can probably pass it on for about what you spent. Them's the breaks for buying used, or even new really.

Well Im not going to worry about it now. I swapped the brother in law the 06 back and got his new unfired Model 70 Coyote Special heavy barrel in 250. Now I need to find a 06 I like. The one I traded him back was just to rough.Looked like it was not taken good care of but at a glance it looked ok.
Daryl P.

I had a model 77 Ruger in o6 and it looked like some one threw it out of a moving car but it was a good deal for what I wanted and ended up being one my favorites .

I've always paid attention to the crown to see if it had the edges of the rifling abused, they should look sharp, not worn from improper cleaning and abuse, no nicks. Action tight and smooth, not sloppy and loose feeling.

Back