Baiting

Originally Posted By: dog driller6mm06, glad to see you get some action -- hope you get it - nice looking dog.

danny k, nice going -- what is the gun you used ar? caliber?

i have not had much action, although i know they are around by the tracks. i have been using baitsicles to supplement the bait i have. they love them -- they don't just eat them -- they steal them. I normally have put baitsicles out with a rope or cable froze down in the bait. the last 2 i put out get a couple nights action and then the whole thing disappears. i have one ready to go out --dry dog food meat trimmings, bacon fat. along with a garage door cable in the middle. that should slow them down. wind has been howling 30-40 mph and sub zero for 2 days solid -- not the kind of weather i want to go calling in. Gun is a Stag left hand ar in 5.56/223 caliber

Yep, ol' 6mm06 is on the prowl. Hope you get him tonight.

dog driller. Have you tried freezing the baitsickle with a piece of pvc pipe in the center of the 5 gal bucket? Then you can drive a steel rod in the ground and slip the pvc tube and sickle down over the rod or pipe. That should anchor it firmly.

Dannyk, a left-hand Stag is the same rifle I use for calling.

danny k - double up how do you like your LH Stag? I have a real interest in them but did not know anybody that has one. read real good reviews on them. please tell me about them. have you shot the 6.8 spc?
double up i have not tried the pvc approach it sounds like it would be worth a try. i had been using 5 gal baitsicles but found they took to long to freeze down, so i went to 3 gal. seems to freeze faster. having the pvc in the center would help freeze the center faster having the cold air getting to the pipe. thanks

Originally Posted By: dog drillerdanny k - double up how do you like your LH Stag? I have a real interest in them but did not know anybody that has one. read real good reviews on them. please tell me about them. have you shot the 6.8 spc? I have not shot the 6.8. I have two stags in left hand 5.56 a model 6L which I really like, but a little heavy for snowshoeing, its been my bear, deer, coyote, etc. gun topped with a 6.5X20 50mm scope. I bought the shorter one with the collapsable stock and fitted it with a 3X Burris prismscope, nice and light. The short barrel one came with a chrome lined barrel and took a long time to break in, but its now my go to gun for any snowshoeing or distance walking. The 6L is my favorite for the scaffold blinds where I can set it in sandbags, very accurate.

Chamberlain went off last night, he scurried back and forth from the brush to the bait, stopped for a split second and I rushed the shot. Missed him! Pretty upset with myself today, almost had to take the day off from work and seek counciling.

DD, I really like the Stag. I have the carbine model. I have a 3x9 Bushnell on it and it's still pretty light, but more importantly it's quick and with the collapsible stock it's easy to adjust for different clothing amounts in calling situations. It's about a 3/4 moa rifle overall which for a 16" chrome lined barrel isn't bad. It's plenty adequate for calling where shots are under 200 almost always. Mine is also standard 5.56/223. I did put a Timney 3 lb trigger in it and that helped a whole bunch with accuracy. Can't help you with the 6.8.

Waiting for 6mm06 to post his hunt and coyote pictures from last night. You guys are going to like this.

Maniah, it happens to all of us. Been there and the only worse feeling is to cripple one and not get it. He may be right back on the bait tonight.

Anyone tried the nikkon coyote special? Heard mixed reviews. Gun came in brush camo with a matching scope but its a cheap bushnell. Would like to upgrade the glass but want to keep the brush finish and the coyote special is all I can find in that pattern.

My Chamberlain went off as well last night at 1:05, was up and at the gun practically before I was awake. Almost forgot to open the window!
Saw a very skittish yote in the scope, really didn't think it was going to stay around for a shot, but managed to squeeze one off just as she was taking a bound back to the woods. Mainah, I had the same feeling in my stomach - as I couldn't be sure of how good a hit I made (just knew it jumped, and ran off without any spinning or yelping). Waited til dawn, and went down for a look - no blood whatsover, only a few yellow drops in the snow, and a million tracks in the several days old snow.

Just started doing increasingly larger half circles away from the bait, and about a half hour later I came across her. Never saw one drop in the snow, felt thankful I managed to recover at all...

doggone_zps05f8fae6.jpg

Moon was slightly less than half, with lots of clouds, again happy for the Night Vision, really changes the game. Was hoping for a video of the shot on the game camera, but it never picked up any activity.

Last edited:

Jeff, that 3-legged coyote just seems to have vanished. I haven't seen her since.

Well, it all finally came together last night. It's been 5 1/2 months since I have killed a coyote. It's been really slow here all winter.

This one hit the bait (calf) two nights in a row, so I decided to not risk waiting another night as I had originally planned. We had a weather forecast of high winds and rain after midnight for last night, so I went to the cabin in hopes the coyote would show up before the storm. It did. At 8:10 PM I squeezed the trigger.

Lefty, I know how you felt when that one ran off. Mine did the same. That's a first since all the others dropped on the spot. This one (female) went maybe 20 yards, so recovery was easy.

After I got the coyote, I packed up and went home none too soon. The winds whipped up and the weather began. We actually got a wet snow instead of rain.

Crop1Coyote.jpg

Crop3Coyote.jpg

Crop4Coyote.jpg

Here's a video I put together from trail camera videos and stills. Just click on the photo to see the video.

Good job David. The video of the shot was icing on the cake. I thought you might do good before the front with that much food on the ground. It seems she was getting comfortable with it. I wonder if tripod will show back up now that she is gone for the easy meal?

I don't know about Tripod, Corey. Haven't seen her in a long time.

But, a neighbor phoned two nights ago stating he heard at least three coyotes and maybe four, howling practically in his back yard. His place can be seen in the distance from our farm, so there are some coyotes in the area. Maybe Tripod is among them. I just hope they decide to be neighborly and come over to my place for a visit.

Haha, nice work on the video. Guess I have to work on my camera angle more, and also play around with movie length and interval setting. I'd really like to get a movie of a shooting.

Glad you broke the dry spell. That's a lonnnnng time to go without any action.

Dog Driller, the rifle is a Dtech 6x45. It has a stainless 20" HMC contour barrel that has a moly-type coating. I shoot 75 gr. Sierra hollow points. The scope is a Gen 1 ATN Spartan 410.

I hope you are right about the beginning of a hot streak. But, I never have that here. In general I shoot a coyote over bait every 2-3 months, but this time it really challenged me. I worked hard for this one.

Today I skinned the coyote out. It's more of a silver / light gray color.

CoyoteSkin-1.jpg

CoyoteSkin2.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a pretty coyote.I shot 5 coyotes last winter off bait. Four were males one female was last. The males are looking for a territory to claim late feb. and march,and you never know when they will show up. shot one 11:40 am. and one 9:30 am. others were late p.m.I bought a XLR250 this year and love it.Just got a dakota 3000 today,cant wait to set it up.Wierd though, I thought I was getting a chambelain.Do any of you use night vision and if so what kind and how much is the cost?

I just looked back a few pages and read the posts on night vision, pretty expensive.I dont think their legal hear.I have turned on the XLR250 and have had time to shoot,and then other times they run to quick.fox usualy dont care, bobcats could care less,but you can never get a tag here, and thier everywhere.Im convinced we have P.E.T.A. members in our D.N.R. 100 cat tags this year and 14000 applicants.We have eons more cats now than when you got a tag every year.I have a leupold 3x9 vxr with fire dot.best illuminated reticle ive seen with 8 settings. really helps get on target quick.

Back