# of coyotes litters???

bhw

Gang,

Help me out here, please. Our local newspaper keeps runing articles stating that coyotes have 2 litters of pups each year. Everything I have researched has mentioned 1 litter in April/May

Am I missing something?

Female coyotes come into "heat" once a year near the end of winter. Active sperm production in male coyotes coincides with this time. I can't imagine where your local reporter gets his information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

NASA,
My Momma once told me that what you read in the newspaper is true. I guess Momma ain't always right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rich, my Daddy was a skeptic. He said "Don't believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

While were on this subject, is it true that the number of pups in the litter will depend on certain things like the number of coyotes in the area, available food supply, and other things?

There have been several studies done in regard to litter size. I hope Mike Granger can jump in here on this one. I think the older bitches have larger litters. Average litter size in my area is five or six pups.

An abstract:
A coyote population model is proposed from current estimates of density, reproduction, food availability, population structure, and mobility. Densities of 0.5 to 1.0 coyote per square mile are frequently suggested, with occasional estimates of 4.0 or more per square mile.

Reproductive rates fluctuate as functions of the proportion of females that ovulate, the average number of ova shed, and in utero viabilities. Average litter sizes of 4.3 to 8.9 seemed to be inversely related to population density.

Studies of captive coyotes indicate that 35 percent may experience estrus in their first year, the remainder not becoming sexually mature until 20 to 22 months of age. In Kansas, Gier (1968) reported that in some years less than 10 percent of this age group becomes sexually active but that when rodents are abundant, as high as 70 percent of the short yearlings may breed.

This is in reasonable agreement with estimates that under conditions in South Texas, about 50 percent of the population normally breeds, producing average litters of 4.6 to 5.2 young.

Age structure of unexploited populations suggests a 40 percent annual mortality for coyotes over 1 year of age, with relatively high survival rates between 4 and 8 years of age.

On the basis of field examinations of coyotes recovered from standard coyote-getter lines in high density areas, it appears that juveniles comprise about half the full populations. In southern New Mexico, Rogers (1965) found that pups comprised 53 percent of the fall population.

Nasa pretty much nailed it. Sorry for not jumping in sooner. I was in Belize, looking for coyotes...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IMG_0988.jpg

Back