Got Some 22DTi/6mmDTi/25DTi/6.5DTI Data Post Here

Originally Posted By: venaticI have shot 4 whitetail does with my 25 DTi predator load just recently and none have gone more than 20 yards and two dropped in their tracks. The load is 28.7gr of N133 with the 85gr Nosler BT. Speed is right at 2900fps and it is a good load for knocking down coyotes but I have gotten almost all pass-thru's on broadside hits. Bobcats have had quarter sized exits and fox... not too pretty.

I figured the 85 BT would be a tad too long but that is what I get for thinking. Glad it worked. I will probably stick with the 75 vmax and 70 BK's since that is what I have a stock of. I tried the Boron Nitride plating but could see no advantage s of yet! hanks for the new load
Good shooting
Greg

Originally Posted By: venaticI have shot 4 whitetail does with my 25 DTi predator load just recently and none have gone more than 20 yards and two dropped in their tracks. The load is 28.7gr of N133 with the 85gr Nosler BT. Speed is right at 2900fps and it is a good load for knocking down coyotes but I have gotten almost all pass-thru's on broadside hits. Bobcats have had quarter sized exits and fox... not too pretty.
Venatic --- what is your OAL with that bullet? Thanks is advance!

This post is related to reloading the 25 DTI, but more to do with powder/gas system when using Lever Evolution Powder.

I recently installed a MGI Mid length regulated gas tube on the 25DTI. I have a medium heavy barrel with a .875 diameter gas block. The past weekend it was quite cold in northern MN (-16 degrees below), and I ended up setting the set screw for the gas regulator at 1 3/4 turns. At this setting it feed, shucked, reloaded and held back on on empty magazine. Cases piled up nicely 3 feet from me. Also, there was no evidence of any swipes on the cases or pressure signs. The load I used was the same as I have posted before with the 100 grain Sierra BT. Lever Evolution is like Superformance in that it has a longer peak pressure duration. Something that mid length and carbine length gas systems do not like. A rifle length system would most likely not have the issues (unlocking too soon).

BTW --- the installation instructions say to open the value 2 1/2 turns and then open more as needed to lock open on an empty magazine. I had to go the other way. ALSO, this really only applies to the use of Lever Evolution Powder, not the other types such as H4895, Tac, ect.

Thanks Siringo! I have some more of the 32 grains of LR loaded up but havent got to shoot it and give it it a good check for swipes.. THe last time I tried that load with 100 grain Hornady SP bullets and #41 primers it shot ave of 2700 with no swipes that I remember and no flat primers. My barrel is .750 at the gas block, just an observation. I think temp was about 50 degrees, when I reshoot with the 7 1/2 primers I will check for swipes again to be sure! Thanks for the good info on the LR and heavy bullets!
Greg Harrison

Fun to work with this. BTW ---- I tried the Hornady's and they did not shoot as well as the Sierra's.

My next adventure is I have a box of 117 grain Round Nose! I have to wait for it to get warmer though.

We'll guys I'm not a whole lot of help but here's a pic of my last loads for my 25dti...

100yrds
75 vmax
30gr H322

IMG_20130201_115501_866.jpg

I need to get a cronny!!

Originally Posted By: venatic
orrbull48 said:
.25 DTI
OAL 2.270
31.2g of H4895
Sierra 87gr sp
have not done any chrono work yet....

Hey I told you that 87gr Sierra bullets would shoot.
thumbup1.gif

Good Shooting!!

yes sir, thanks for the help. If I cand find any Im gonna try some of those 87speers with N133 next....

25 DTI and 117 Grain Hornady Round Nose

I had some of these bullets that I planned on playing with when the weather got warmer. Seems that is never going to happen here in Minnesota this year. May 2nd and it is snowing today!

Anyway, my 25 DTI as I have posted before has a MGI adjustable gas tube on an 18 inch barrel. All of the loads listed below are with LeverEvolution and I SERIOUSLY CAUTION using anything listed below without an adjustable tube or block ---- because the port pressures are significantly higher than other powders.

In general, the 25 DTI does not have enough case capacity to do much with these bullets and I would consider them only "woods" bullets for ranges less than 100 yards. Although, the velocity of these loads are a couple hundred feet per second faster than a 25-35 out of a 24 inch barrel.

USING LEVEREVOLUTION AND WINCHESTER SMALL RIFLE PRIMERS. OAL = 2.20 INCHES.

(Outside Temperature during test = 10 degrees)
28.0 Grains - 2310 fps -- 3 shot group = 1 1/2 inch
28.5 grains - 2325 fps -- 3 shot group = 1 1/4 inch
29.0 grains - 2416 fps -- 3 shot group = 1 inch
29.5 grains - 2440 fps -- 3 shot group = 3/4 inch
30.0 grains - 2493 fps -- 3 shot group = 1/2 inch
(outside temperature 45 degrees and extremely windy. Not good for shooting groups)
30.0 grains - 2553 fps -- primer flattening
30.2 grains - 2567 fps -- primer flattening/slight crater
30.4 grains - 2580 fps -- primer flattening/cratering
30.6 grains - 2592 fps -- primer flattening/major crater
30.8 grains - 2616 fps -- primer flattened/heavy crater/swipes ---HOT< HOT< HOT

The groups sizes above varied between 1 1/2 inches and 1 inch. Since this bullet would only be used for deer at ranges less than 100 yards --- that is totally acceptable.

NOTICE THE VELOCITY INCREASE FROM 10 DEGREES TO 45 DEGREES. ALSO THE FIRST LOADS MAY HAVE BEEN USING REMINGTON 7 1/2 PRIMERS. THE WINCHESTERS GIVE ME HIGHER VELOCITY.

My pick would be something between 29.5 grains and 30.0 grains. CAUTION ---- USE THIS DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK.

A little more shooting today to confirm some results --- plUS it was really nice weather --- finally.

25 DTI, Winchester Small Rifle, Adjustable Gas Tube.

32.0 grains of LeverEvolution (OK)
Average Velocity -- 2817 fps
ES -- 17 fps
SD -- 7 fps

32.2 grains of LeverEvolution (Warm)
Average Velocity -- 2840 fps
ES -- 31 fps
SD -- 12 fps

32.4 grains of LeverEvolution (Hot)
Average -- 2854
ES -- 44 fps
SD -- 18
-------------------------------------------------------
90 grain Sierra Gameking Hollow Point

33.6 grains of LeverEvolution -- 2.19 inches OAL
Average Velocity -- 2986 fps
ES--34 fps
SD --13 fps
------------------------------------------------------------
117 grain Hornady Round Nose

29.8 grains of LeverEvolution -- 2.20 inches OAL
Average Velocity -- 2513 fps
ES -- 34 fps
SD -- 13 fps

ACCURACY WISE THE 32 GRAIN LOAD IS MOA OR A LITTLE LESS. ALL THE OTHERS ARE SLIGHTLY OVER, BUT THESE ARE FOR SHOOTING DEER, NOT FLIES.

Now on to some varmint bullets with clean powder.

Thanks as always for the new load date. You are a little more adventuresome(braver) than I am. With the 90 grainer I tried 33.0 LVR for 2900.
Thanks again!
Greg Harrison

I must have a slow 25DTI ! The best I can do with 75 Vmaxs is 3060 with 33.7 grains of TAC. 31.2 grains of H322 gets me about the same velocity.
32 grains of LVR only gets me 2720 with the Sierra SBT 100 grainer. 33 grains of LVR and the 90 HPBT Sierra goes around 2900. 100 grain Nosler Partition and 100 grain Interlock shoed about the same velocity as the Sierra SBT. Could not locate Win SR primers at this time.
I will list some others when I find my notebook. These are BN coated bullets. All are shot with 7 1/2 primers, 18 inch barrel, temp was about 85 degrees.
No serious swipes noted and primers still showed rounded edges with no cratering.
Goes to prove all rifles are individuals!

Thanks for the load data guys!
Greg

Without reading back to see what all speeds everyone is getting that actually that sounds about right to me. My main load of 85gr Nosler’s is running 2900fps so dropping 10gr bullet weight and getting 160 fps gain sounds reasonable.
Think about it this way in the 250 Savage they dropped the bullet weight to 87gr to get 3000fps and that’s burning more powder from a longer barrel. I realize they were keeping pressures a little low but hey they still do on factory ammo.
cool.gif
Pretty efficient little round.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: venaticWithout reading back to see what all speeds everyone is getting that actually that sounds about right to me. My main load of 85gr Nosler’s is running 2900fps so dropping 10gr bullet weight and getting 160 fps gain sounds reasonable.
Think about it this way in the 250 Savage they dropped the bullet weight to 87gr to get 3000fps and that’s burning more powder from a longer barrel. I realize they were keeping pressures a little low but hey they still do on factory ammo.
cool.gif
Pretty efficient little round.

Venatic,
I really did not mean to be complaining. You are right , it is a really efficient. I had read where some others had 2800 on the 100 grainers and mine just won't do it. But 2700 is plenty and the deer won't even notice it. I might have asked before but why did you decide to use the 85 grain BT? just curious! And thanks for all the data you have provided!
Greg

Back