Ultimate Night Vision
Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#2503689 - 06/01/13 09:12 PM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: JohnMcGowan]
JohnMcGowan Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Alabama
Check this out!!!!

I was going to Brookwood Mall today to get my hair cut. I live right off of GreenSprings Hwy on Berry Road if any of yall know where this is. Anyhoo, I left the house at 1:15p for my 1:30 appt and about 500 yards from my driveway on Berry I saw what I thought was a dog go across Berry Road. Keep in mind all this is residental area. As I get closer to where this animal crossed the road I look to the left and there is Mr Wiley Coyote standing in somebody's driveway looking right back at me!! I pull of to the left side of the road to watch him, he stays around for about 5 seconds and he hits some woods that separates two properties. He was a very pretty grey color and I'd estimate him to be a good 25 lbs.
Im feeling sorry for the folks that lets their pets roam free. Not 100 yards from where I saw the coyote I see a big white kittycat walking down the road. Im willing to bet that it wont be long before I hear of "my pet has disapaeared, has anyone seen it? "
John

#2503720 - 06/01/13 10:16 PM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: JohnMcGowan]
str8blkcoffee Offline
Predator Master

Loc: SE Alabama
I had seen something similar but where I live I'm more in the country than city although we are inside the city limits. I was driving down the road at about 230 in the afternoon and sitting on the side of the road was a big ole coyote. This was across from a neighborhood.

We live in a subdivision and we regularly hear howling behind our house. Of course we border the county and nothing but woods, fields, and a few creeks and ponds behind us.

What I need is to get off my butt and buy the tax stamp...

#2506237 - 06/09/13 04:21 PM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: JohnMcGowan]
AlabamaYoteHunter Offline

Hey guys! I'm from West Alabama and I just started coyote hunting last year. Ive been having some trouble calling them up this summer. I know they are with their pups right now. But when is the best time to call for coyotes in Alabama? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Edited by AlabamaYoteHunter (06/09/13 11:14 PM)

#2506396 - 06/09/13 11:44 PM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: AlabamaYoteHunter]
JohnMcGowan Offline
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: AlabamaYoteHunter
Hey guys! I'm from West Alabama and I just started coyote hunting last year. Ive been having some trouble calling them up this summer. I know they are with their pups right now. But when is the best time to call for coyotes in Alabama? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!!

Hi AYH, welcome aboard!
Im be no means an expert, but I look at yote hunting like going bass fishing, anytime I can go is a good time smile . Im not trying to be a smart arse, but Ive been on a few outings and didnt call up anything that we know of, but I take this outings as a chance to gain some experience and try to learn something new each time I go out. Basically, the more you have a chance to go, the better your chance of seeing something or better yet, dropping the hammer on one, know what I mean? As a buddy or mine puts it, you aint gonna kill nothing by sitting on the couch.

Where in W Al are you located at AYH?
John

#2506441 - 06/10/13 07:03 AM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: JohnMcGowan]

Thanks! I try to go as much as I can! I'm slowly learning! I've called in a couple of bobcats and one coyote. I'm just having a little trouble this year! Hopefully when fall rolls around I'll have some luck! I'm located in Jefferson on the Tombigbee.

#2506503 - 06/10/13 11:31 AM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: JohnMcGowan]
JohnMcGowan Offline
Seasoned Member

I'd say that you are not neccesarily doing anything wrong, just dont get discouraged if you go on a couple of stands and dont see or call up anything and keep after them doggies :),.. been there done that.
What sounds are you using to bring them in? You may want to change up the sounds some here and there so as not to educate the yotes that may be seeing you but you dont see them. Give them a little varity of different sounds and loudness.
If you've already called in some bobcats and a yote, you are already ahead of the game. Just remember that nothing is guaranteed each time we go out.
Im not sure where Jefferson is but when my dad was still living , we would go down to the Tombigbee hunting club located on Hwy 11 in Boligee each Saturday and deer hunt.That was some years 40+ ago when I was a young lad. You have you some prime real estate down there for some critters( Im jealous!!,LOL ) , keep at it and I know you will get to drop the hammer on one soon.
John

#2506528 - 06/10/13 01:01 PM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: JohnMcGowan]

I've been using a Johnny Stewart electronic call. I've used a cottontail distress, rodent distress, and bark/howls. I think I might try a fawn distress since they are starting to be born. I'll also start with the sound low and work my way up. I don't want to spook anything.

We are pretty lucky at my land! We have big deer, tons of hogs, turkeys, lots of varmits, and a lot of predators!! It's a hunter's dream!

#2511015 - 06/24/13 06:37 AM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: JohnMcGowan]
KiYi711 Offline

Loc: Alabama, St. Clair County
Hey guys,

New to PM and just getting into predator hunting. Glad to see so many in Alabama on here. I just started predator hunting at the end of deer season and looking for any advice or tips to help be more successful. I've got a flextone echo ecaller and a few mouth calls but still practicing with those. I'm shooting a Savage model 10 .243 and an AR.

I've managed to get permission to hunt several nice pieces of private property that vary in size and I know each have been known to have a fair amount of coyote activity. I've only been out a handful of times since I started before I decided to stop to let them rest during pup season. I did manage to call in a nice black coyote on my first trip to about 175 yards and rushed my shot and missed him. After that trip I was absolutely hooked.

I live in Leeds and hunt all over St. Clair County. Anyone else live or hunt close to me? If anyone is interested in meeting up for a hunt please let me know. I'm sure I could learn a lot from some of you more experienced hunters. I haven't run into anyone in my area that really targets predators and seem to have plenty all to myself around here. Any advice or tips such as what sounds you guys like or which sounds seem to work during certain times of the year or any other advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm working on getting permission for a few more pieces of property and plan to get back after em around dove season.

Thanks

#2511067 - 06/24/13 10:46 AM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: JohnMcGowan]
JohnMcGowan Offline
Seasoned Member

Welcome to the forum KiYi.
Yes Sir, I'd be interested in going with you on a hunt if you wouldnt mind. I have a Johnny Stewart E-caller, a Mojo critter as well as a couple mouth calls for distess and howls and have been out several times and called some in but have not dropped the hammer on one yet.
I have sent you a pm with my contact info too.
Thanks,
John

#2516073 - 07/08/13 11:01 PM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: JohnMcGowan]
JohnMcGowan Offline
Seasoned Member

BAM!!! I did it,... I got my very first kill Sunday down in Greene County!! A 30 pound female. I also dropped the hammer on another one Sunday that was larger, Im guessing he was a big male but we couldnt find him but I know for a fact I hit him, he was spinning round and round biting himself in the hindquarters then he ran off into some very thick cover after I shot him. We had already came across one cottonmouth so I didnt want to venture too far into the very thick swamp cover to go after him.It would have been a long ride out of the woods to the hospital to treat a snake bite, know what Im saying?

Can anyone help me/tell me with how to post pics?

Sunday was about 200% humidity and it didnt seem to affect the yotes any . I called in a total of 4 dogs Sunday, killed the female first at around 8:00am after calling for about 15 minutes , shot at one of two orange looking young dogs that were traveling together about 3:00pm, then hit the big one that ran off around 3:30 pm. I am SOOOO PUMPED I cant stand it!!! LOL I have killed my first yote !!
John

#2530955 - 08/12/13 05:55 PM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: JohnMcGowan]
JohnMcGowan Offline
Seasoned Member

just checking in to say hello and to see what is going on out there in yote land?
I may have a hunt lined up this coming weekend up in Winston County, will know more toward the end of this week.

Anybody going out and seeing anything (?) , although I know its pretty hot out there during the day.
Let me hear from you .
Thanks,
John

#2533909 - 08/19/13 10:49 PM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: JohnMcGowan]
DeadRightThere Offline
Predator Master

How'd that hunt hunt go?

#2533936 - 08/20/13 12:16 AM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: JohnMcGowan]
JohnMcGowan Offline
Seasoned Member

DRT,
I didnt get to go as the gent I was going withs daughter had a church retreat that Saturday, she wants to go out wth us when we do go, so we have rescheduled to try it again sometime soon.
Hows it going with you? Doing anything to cull the yote population smile ?
John

#2534254 - 08/20/13 09:43 PM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: JohnMcGowan]
DeadRightThere Offline
Predator Master

Mr. McGowan,
I know how it is. Hard to get everybody lined up at the same time. None of my regular hunting buddies want to go because of the heat. I think they're right, I've been a couple evenings this week with no luck. Just about burned up. Gonna try Saturday morning for a couple hours. Looking forward to cool weather.
DRT

#2534744 - 08/22/13 04:21 AM Re: Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !! [Re: DeadRightThere]
KiYi711 Offline

Loc: Alabama, St. Clair County
Hey fellas,

I haven't been hunting recently but have been doing a good bit of scouting and acquiring new land permission. One good thing about being a night shift police officer is I've been able to ride the boundaries of some of the places I have permission to hunt and I'm pleased with what I've seen. They love to move at night and I've seen several good looking yotes and several smaller ones. Probably this years pups. During the day I get out and occasionally walk some of the properties and have seen lots of sign. I've also noticed a lot of fox activity. Even managed to see a few red fox. And I've heard that if you have fox you have coyotes. Couple of other places I got permission have several rocky outcrops and the landowners reported seeing a few bobcats so I'm really looking forward to getting after em soon.

I haven't forgot about you John. Just been real busy. Definitely have to get together soon.

Good luck guys,
Happy hunting.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Kino M 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.