Alabama ROLL CALL for coyotes, please check in and say HI !!

JohnMcGowan

Hi gang,
Im new to the forum as of today and just wanted to say hello to everyone and to see who all may be from the Great State of Alabama? I have just gotten into coyote/predator calling as of a few months ago and I have to say that I am hooked
thumbup1.gif
I called in my first coyote back in December down in West Alabama and I only had my hand made into a fist to blow into to make a high pitched squealing sound and within 3 minutes I had a black yote that had come from over 200 yards away come to check out what the sound was. I didnt have my gun with me as I was up in a tree stand just looking around but the yote came within 60 yards of my location and sorta just squatted down on all 4s to figure out what was going on. He stayed for about 40 seconds and he never saw me and figured something just wasnt right and then retreated the way he came in. After that I was determined to hunt those critters.
I have a Les Johnson Ruffie dog Jr open reed call and I practice with it everyday, even driving to and from work
laugh.gif
. I also have a Johnny Stewart PM4 digital remote caller with several different sound cards such as the dying cottontail, baby cottontail, coyote pup distress, and several others that should fill the bill. I also have several crow sound cards for it.
3 weeks ago I was able to call in 2 yotes early one Saturday morning just North of Birmingham but I wasnt able to get a shot on them. One of them had spotted me before I spotted him out about 100 yards in some tall sage brush so I got busted that day, but I was thrilled that I was able to call in something just the same, so that was worth the trip right there!
Im going on a dedicated predator hunt the whole weekend of the 22nd down at a hunting club in W. Alabama and Im pulling the trigger on something!! LOL It will be a two man team of hunters and me and my hunting buddy have been practicing every chance we can get before the 22nd of this month. Wish us some luck!! I will have my Ruger .270 bolt action as well as a 12 ga with #1 buck loaded in it. My hunting buddy is a member of this club and I am going as his guest, but should you ever need a coyote partner, please give me a shout.
Let me hear from you , where you're located, where you hunt,how you do your calling, etc....
Thanks!!
Oh yeah, I forgot to say,....ROLL TIDE!!!!
John

Alabama Roll Call
I am from southwest Alabama. Where do you live in Alabama. I have been hunting predators for six years. If you are interested in getting together for a hunt let me know.

redhat

Gentlmen, I apoligize for the delay , I didnt know that you two had responded.
First question, how do I set it up so that I can get an email or notification that someone has responded to my posts?

Redhat , Im up in Birmingham, Homewood actually. I would certainly like to connect and get together with you and try to go after some critters!! Where do you live at ? You have lots of coyotes? How do you hunt them, etc..?

Yotekiller04, this will held be at a private hunting club down in Forkland,Al located right on the Tombigbee . Whats you location and tell me all about what you do to get them coming your way?
Thanks fellows!!!
John

I am from Silas Alabama about 1 1/2 hour drive south of Forkland. We have some coyotes but the woods are harder hunting (thick)compared to the Forkland area. I have a friend that lives about four miles from Forkland. I do hunt in that area several times a year. The coyotes seam to be larger in that general area than in my home area. When hunting I like a cross wind and a cloudy day. I use hand calls and a Foxpro Fury. My rife of choice is a AR-15. What do you think about the hay art on the side of Hwy 43 near Forkland? I enjoy looking at the hay art to see if new art is added from trip to trip.
I don't know about the setting up of the e-mail.

I'm in Hamilton Alabama and hunt just about everything when time permits. I use a FoxPro Firestorm caller that works great. I'd like to sell it and get a more sophistcated caller I've called in a bobcat coyote and crows so far and can really get into it when weather is not soo hot!

Hi Les and fw !!
Thanks for your replies.
So does up there in Hamilton have lots of yotes? I would imagine so, it seems they are nearly everywhere now, its just strangley odd and funny how they seems to disappear when I want to go hunting for them, LOL

FW, so did the bama yote do any damage to your truck when it tried to carjack you at gunpoint?
wink.gif
I hope not anyway.

RED , how are you doing these days? Seeing any signs down there around your place?

I havent been out hunting since last month when I went to the coyote hunt down in Forkland. All I ended up killing all weekend was 2 dang crows!! Out of 17 hunters fow that weekend, not one soul saw or called in a coyote all weekend!! The bad weather and lots of rain may have had something to do with that though.
John

Im up in Cullman and work in BHAM. I see yotes pretty often on my ride to work and see them in town in both Cullman and Bham. I will be looking to get more yote hunting when turkey season is over and the woods arent covered up.

John I suppose coyotes around Hamilton are like everywhere else. U have most luck where you can hear them at. Looks to me like hunting in the open places out west and up north is easier. I been busy not getting to do much hunt'n lately.
Do you guys know of anyone that would like to buy a FoxPro Firestorm (as new condition) with 147 sounds? I put it in classifieds but it got deleted cause I had not posted enough since I just started on PM. Anybody ever used the FoxPro mixed sounds? They appear to be a good idea to try but I don't know.
Let me hear from everybody
Les

Originally Posted By: JohnMcGowan

FW, so did the bama yote do any damage to your truck when it tried to carjack you at gunpoint?
wink.gif
I hope not anyway.

John

Nope, but the truck sure did a lot of damage to the yote!
thumbup1.gif

Good to hear these Bama boys gettin on board.I live in the far north of Alabama.Seeing the yotes around the fields but haven't been able to go.I need to get on these turkey killers before season starts.

Welcome aboard firecapt and thanks for checking in.
Keep your eyes peeled up there in Huntsvegas for them Northern Alabama yotes and holler back at me if you need any help clearing them out please.
thumbup.gif

I'll sorta be up your way next month up in Harvest, Al as I'll be up there pylon racing rc planes at the fullscale airstrip in Harvest the last Saturday of April. Come on by that day and chat and watch the racing if you are able to.
John

Hi John,

I live in North Alabama around the Florence area. I've been coyote hunting for about 8 years now. When I started out hunting I used a couple of different hand calls but for the past year and a half I use a Foxpro Fury. I shoot an AR-15 most of the time when I hunt but also use a shotgun every now and again. Welcome to the forum. If you ever have any questions send me a message. Be glad to help. Good luck and good hunting!

Ha yote perisher
U finding coyotes around big fields or in thickets somewhere? Do you hunt around the Florence Lauderdale county area? Reason I ask is I graduated from UNA in 1991 and worked while I was in college as a furniture delivery person for Mangum Furniture. I am pretty familiar with the Lauderdale area. I love the TN river fishing below Wilson dam!

Hey Les,

Yeah, we mostly try and call them out of the woods into open fields. Hunt mostly the eastern half of Lauderdale Co. I'm also a UNA grad (2007). You hunt the Florence area much?

I dont get to hunt much of anywhere but Marion and Lamar Countys. I lease land in Marion where I live and work and my family has land in Lamar where I'm from. I was wondering if you had to hunt the thickets like most of my Lamar County land is? I have more pastures in Marion County so that makes it a little easier. In my time riding in the furniture truck I got to see much of Lauderdale Co and as I remember there were lots of fields in east Lauderdale.
I have an as new FoxPro Firestorm I need to sale if you know anyone interested. I need to get $330 plus shipping or I can meet someone half way between here and there. I have bought a Fury 2 that has not come in yet.

No I don't hunt the thickets much. There are a couple of places where we hunt close cover but prefer to be in open fields calling them out of the woods and creek bottoms.

Yeah there are quite a few open pasture areas around east Lauderdale Co. Just always trying to gain access to new areas.

Good luck with selling the Firestorm. You will love the Fury. It's a great e-caller. Pick up either a Jack Attack decoy or the newer Fox Jack. They are both great decoys to use with the Fury.

Glad to see some Bama folks on here. I'm pretty close to Mr. Carr. I'm barely in Fayette County just north of the Tuscaloosa county line. I've had pretty good luck so far this year, 3 coyotes and a bobcat since Jan. 1st. All mine have been on log road intersections in thick 7 year old cutover. I haven't called since Turkey season has come in but had one come to my box call. I took him with a load of 5 shot at about 20 yds. all my others were with a rifle. I'm new to this forum stuff but would enjoy sharing and getting any help from ya'll. ROLL TIDE!

Back