Lightforce confusion - need help choosing!

SouthTXBowhunter

I finally decided to get a SL170 variable power to replace my old SL170 that was stolen, only to find out that there aren't ANY available and that Lightforce won't even give an ETA on more arriving in the US! Same thing with the 240 Blitz variable power. UGH!!!

So, It's got me in a quandary whether to just get another SL170 or bite the bullet on a SL170 HID light? This is where I'd like some advice - is the HID really worth the money? I could almost buy 3 regular Lightforce lights for the price of one HID model. Before I drop that much money, I would like to hear that it's "the cat's meow" from some people that have used both. Does anyone have one or use one?

Is the ballast heavy/awkward for scanning?

What's the run time on a UB1280 and is it significantly improved over the run time of a SL170 on the same battery?

Would YOU spend the money on the HID, or just stick with a standard SL170?

Lightforce is old technology. Unless you really need super bright white light for spotting hundreds of yards or filming at night, I'd go with a modern LED light like an XLR-100 or XLR-250 or similar.

Lightforce has the best designed reflector out of any incandescent lights, and if you're going to stick with those, get the 170, they do get out there very well. I really don't think you need HID. As far as your battery question, it all depends upon usage and how high you'll be turning it up as far as dimmer control. There are UB1210's that are a tiny bit bigger physically (not by much) that will fit into a Lightforce battery pack and give you 2 extra amp hours of time. I'm sending you a pm.

Regards,

John

I used a standard 170 for years and also used a 240. The problem with any of those Lightforces is the electrical shorts in the cheap wiring. It literally took buying 4 Liightforce lights to be able to have at least one working at any given time. I probably "bought" three more Lightforces for the money I spent having an electrician fix all the shorts. On at least 2 occasions, I had the light go out as I was pulling the trigger. I threw all of them in the trashcan and gave my batteries away and bought an Olight SR90, which is brighter and has given me no trouble.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGLightforce is old technology. Unless you really need super bright white light for spotting hundreds of yards or filming at night, I'd go with a modern LED light like an XLR-100 or XLR-250 or similar.

I hear ya, but I also use a big spotlight for deer counts.

Originally Posted By: john1951Lightforce has the best designed reflector out of any incandescent lights, and if you're going to stick with those, get the 170, they do get out there very well. I really don't think you need HID. As far as your battery question, it all depends upon usage and how high you'll be turning it up as far as dimmer control. There are UB1210's that are a tiny bit bigger physically (not by much) that will fit into a Lightforce battery pack and give you 2 extra amp hours of time. I'm sending you a pm.

Regards,

John

The problem is, I can't find a 170 with a dimmer control- they're out of stock everywhere. If I want a dimmer, I'll have to jump to a 240 and that seems awfully big. Otherwise, I'll have to go with a basic (non-dimming) SL170. Which would you get?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: john1951Did you get my pm?

John

If your pm had anything to do with a dimmer, shoot me one too.

I have a ligthforce 170 walkabout, but I never use it now that I got a XLR-250 hunt pack.

These are the lights I use for deer spotlight counts. Plenty of light, and very durable.

http://www.able2products.com/Update/08_0335_v1.htm

Replacement bulbs can be found at most auto parts stores like Auto Zone or O'Reilly's.

These are sealed glass bulbs like an old car headlight. Red Dykem will quickly turn it into a red light.

I had a red bulb and white and just changed them out depending on what I wanted to do.

Back