Wolves 3, coyotes 6, red fox 2, frogs ..pathetic.

Redfrog

The title says it all. My son and I went north for some hunting/fishing for a few day. Lots of snow on the ground, but the temp was a perfect 30F with light breeze and beautiful blue sky.

Some areas had coyote sign and some had wolf sign. The first stand I howled for coyotes and went to a Sceery AP6. Nothing came in. Usually I only stay on stand 15 minutes, but because of the thick bush and snow,I stayed 1/2 hour.

Next stand, wolf sign. I brought along my new Tom Talker, custom made, super duper, extra special. great looking howler, just for such an occasion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I howled, and waited, howled and waited, no response. I went to my Brad H, custom made, super duper,extra special, great looking, antler call, which I had brought along for just such an occasion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I played my "I'm a young fawn with my guts being ripped out, have you seen my momma?" and waited. No response. After 30 min. We packed it up, got in the truck and drove 300 yds. to the end of the road to turn around. As I was making the turn, my son looked down a cutline and began talking in tongues. I thought at first from his colorful speech, it was Tourette's Syndrome. Turns out the lad had seen a wolf trot across the 20 foot opening 150 yds. out. There were two wolves. From their tracks, they were almost into our stand, when we decided to quit. They just trotted off as we packed up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

One other stand produced a grey ghost out about 450 yds. crossing a cutline never to be seen again.We were now staying at least 45 minutes on stand. We got no vocal response from wolves, but I'm convinced that the howler was their motivation to come in.

When we found coyote sign, we called for them. They were much more vocal in response to my Rich Cronk, custom made, super duper, extra special, great looking, cow horn howler. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The first stand that we got a response at, produced 2 coyotes that came onto the cutline about 200 yds. out. I just got one in the scope, when he hit our scent. no shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Awesome looking coyotes.

The whole trip went about the same.6 coyotes total came in and we got no shot. A pair of red fox came in on one set. No shot. it sure is different hunting the heavy cover. It makes me appreciate how hard some of you work for your coyotes. I usually have time for a coffee from the time I see them till they are in gun range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW the fishing was no better. Think I'll try again in a week or so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Back