Simple fix for crimped brass

.17 Predator

I am aware there are other methods but I found that my case chamfer tool would relieve the crimp but was really slow work. A trip to the local hardware store for a 1/2 countersink for screws turned out to be perfect chucked in my battery drill. A few seconds and the crimp is alleviated and the primer goes in with some resistance. Anybody see any problems?

Just watch your fingers!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: .17 Predator I am aware there are other methods but I found that my case chamfer tool would relieve the crimp but was really slow work. A trip to the local hardware store for a 1/2 countersink for screws turned out to be perfect chucked in my battery drill. A few seconds and the crimp is alleviated and the primer goes in with some resistance. Anybody see any problems?

Not sure about this tool, but I have a chamfer tool
holder that chucks up in a drill. Brownell/Sinclair
International sells them. Chamfers case mouths,
or crimped primer pockets. I also have a VLD chamfer
tool head that can chuck in a drill. Probably more precise
chamfering in a drill press, but a hand drill will work.

Squeeze

I personally don't like removing any material that holds in the primer. I have used a Dillon primer swage for thousands of round of .223 and never had any problems. It just smears the brass back into the pocket.

Just be careful not to remove too much material as with a decrimping tool it bottoms out automaticly where as the countersink just keeps cutting.

Originally Posted By: patncorJust be careful not to remove too much material as with a decrimping tool it bottoms out automaticly where as the countersink just keeps cutting.

Thanks, I will be careful of that, the swagging tools were out of stock like everything else is when I ordered the brass. So far so good, I give them a few spins and it seems to be enough.

Back