Moose Hunt

Here is a moose I took with the help of Redfrog in Northern Alberta, Canada.

fabd1c9f.jpg

Thanks Redfrog

Greg
I'll add my 2 cents.
The guy with the cap is PM's very own Greg Bernetic. Greg and I, along with a trapper friend, went hunting last week for bears and moose. Actually because of the area we hunt, {game rich and isolated,} we only hunted a few hours to get a bear and a moose, and a few days working to get them home.
This was Greg's first moose and he called it in himself. The rack is just under 40 " with 15 points. There are several larger moose in this area, but we weren't being too picky. This young bull is gonna make excellent eating. I'm impressed!! Great job Greg.!!

We made two stands on a cutline with no success. These cutlines run for miles through the bush and muskeg. They can be travelled once the ground freezes, but are sometimes difficult when it isn't frozen. Verrry boggy.

After two blanks, we set up on a cutbank about 300' above the Firebag River. {The Firebag has very good Walleye and pike fishing} From our vantage point above the bend in the river we could see a lot of the surrounding area. With 150 yds. between us, Greg started calling. He sounded awesome! 10 minutes into his "Baby Oh!Baby" cow moose serenade, This bull walked out to the river's edge. Unfortunately it was the edge on the other side of the river.
We had about 45 minutes of daylight left. Greg had to make a decision. Shoot and work in the dark field dressing until midnight, or try again tomorrow if the bull wouldn't cross the river.
I ranged the bull at 180 yds.
Greg took the shot! Fortunately we had checked our rifles on arrival and they were zeroed. The bull walked 50 feet and dropped.
Then the work began. We took the Quads and beat it back to the junction of the river and the bush road. Gary {the trapper} had a fiberglass cartopper stashed there. Using the quads, we took the boat overland to our stand. By then it was dark. Using our flashlights and a couple of ropes we lined the boat down the bank. Paddled across the river and dressed the moose.
We were back in camp by 11pm. having a Pepsi. All in all another great day in the Great White North.
We spent the next day and a bit quartering and floating the bull out. Great hunt/ great friends. It doesn't get any better.
The pics of the bear are in being developed and I'll post them when I get them.

BTW this could have been your hunt on the bear raffle if you win. Course you gotta buy a ticket to win.

Back