Ghillie suit awareness

.17 Predator

Thought I would pass this along. I think ghillies are the ultimate in concealement for calling,BUT most of the commercial stuff comes from China and is heavily treated with a flame retardant that is pretty bad stuff. Bromides/Bromine are considered highly toxic and possibly carcinogenic. I received mine in snow camo--put in on and about gagged from the smell. A little research will tell you all you don't want to know. I sent mine back, got a refund and was glad to have it gone. I can't imagine washing it with my kids clothes and having them contaminated.

Originally Posted By: jerry malbeckBuy a Rancho Safari . Made in U.S.A.

What Jerry said. I use mine all the time and the only thing I smell is............the sweet smell of success.
thumbup.gif

Any ghillie suit made from jute fiber(burlap) is going to smell and since they are flammable they must be treated with a retardant. If you had bought one made from synthetic fiber, there would have been no smell.
It would have weighed 1/2 as much.

Originally Posted By: jerry malbeckBuy a Rancho Safari . Made in U.S.A.

I just checked this site out and I'm wondering why I never heard of them. The suits look awesome.

Originally Posted By: James MizzellAny ghillie suit made from jute fiber(burlap) is going to smell and since they are flammable they must be treated with a retardant. If you had bought one made from synthetic fiber, there would have been no smell.

^^^ This...

Also keep in mind, MOST baby/toddler and children's clothes, bedding, etc are treated with flame retardants. It ain't just a stinky ghillie that's bringing it into your house. Whether they're "safe" or not depends on which state you live in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArrowStarcid:6433C8FC-4808-4C67-BC53-545875B8DF3A/photo.JPG
Rancho safari suits rock!

lol I just checked them out. I love the dog ghillies! lol

Sorry for the delay, mine came from All Predator Calls, and when the problem was explained they courteously refunded the price paid---no problem with the company just the Chinese product and their methods of fire retardant.

Originally Posted By: James MizzellAny ghillie suit made from jute fiber(burlap) is going to smell and since they are flammable they must be treated with a retardant. If you had bought one made from synthetic fiber, there would have been no smell.

This suit was synthetic and I would imagine they are as if not more flammable than juke. It had the most obnoxious smell and the research on bromides wasn't pretty.

.17 Predator how long ago was the snow camo suit purchased? I'm very happy our customer service promptly refunded you order when you expressed concerns, after all, we want you to be happy with any product you purchase from APC.

However, I would have to respectfully disagree regarding the statement that the stuff that comes from China is "heavily treated with a flame retardant that is pretty bad stuff. Bromides/Bromine". That is simply not accurate. We sell 3 different manufacturers (Red Rock, Mil-Spec, Camo Systems Jackal) of ghillie suit lines and import 4 lines of our own from China and Taiwan. They are constructed from polypropylene string. Polypropylene is a synthetic material, an by the nature of its chemical composition is considered fire retardant, mildew and moisture resistant. They are not treated with any compound to increase fire resistance as there is no need to.

Synthetic thread is safer than jute thread since it is inherently fire resistant. Jute thread is made from plants, so jute ghillie suits are often treated with a fire retardant for safety precautions. Additionally, the military is increasingly using synthetic string materials such as polypropylene for making their sniper ghillie suits.

Hope that helps

AP

Back