new to it

akhntr

Hey guys,
Just stumbled onto this site, glad to find it. Been looking for a site with alaskan predator hunting info and its hard to find, so im pleased to finally find one. Im new to predator hunting,and reading the posts here have given me some great ideas to get started. I have been out a few times calling with an electronic caller using the rabbit and crow tapes, and a diaphram howler, but with no success yet. Im sticking to areas where I find lots of rabbit tracks and yote and lynx tracks,where you can tell they have been chasing them around. Is it best to get set up before light and begin calling at sun up? Or is closer to evening before dark a better time, or does it even matter?
Im hunting heavily wooded areas where it would be difficult to see anything coming in at long distances, this seems to be where im finding the most tracks and sign. I have spotted some coyotes while not hunting, in some of the flat tundra areas around here, but dont see any rabbit tracks or other sign that they would be after,except for maybe moose. what calls or techniqes would be best in these areas.
Any veteran kenai peninsula predator hunters out there that can give a new guy some advice?

Welcome to the board. The Alaskan members are growing in numbers and thats good. Read all you can and use the search on the top.There is alot of good folks and info in here. Rimfire and I talked about hunting the Kenai area this winter. Did you get much snow down there? Well keep me,them, us and the others posted on how you do.

Welcome AKHNTR!

Glad to have someone from the Kenai to help round us out. I would be interested on hearing reports of hunting conditions down your way. Been meaning to make a road trip one of these years. I hear there is a decent Lynx population down there.

Anyway, welcome and please don't by shy. No question is a stupid question.

Well havent had a chance to get out again yet since the snow has fallen. Randy asked what the conditions were like on the peninsula so I thought I would post. We have about 5 inches on the ground now,and temps in the teens to low 20s should be eisier to find where the dogs are roaming. Have 2 weeks off starting tomorrow and plan on spending a lot of that time out trying to call something in. Saw a coyote yesterday while driving to work, he was chewin on some road kill on the side of the road. Good luck fellas!

Back