Next ?? - Preparing a rifle for cold weather

John/Alaska

I'm curious as to what you other cold weather guys do to get a newly acquired rifle ready for use at the chilly temperatures??

Now mine (rem 7 223)has to perform down to 40 below. I degrease and thats about it. Only failures has been the bolt failing to slide after a shot. So far no firing pin problems

Now my rem 870 pump SG has problems jamming shells when loading. Me thinks tolerance problems. When this happens I shoot one at a time not loading the tube.

Okay what do you guys do???? I have a few other things I do but lets trade!

I wipe the gun dry just like you said. Then I lubricate with remington synthetic clp. Its rated to 30 below I believe. I used this stuff on a whitetail hunt in PA once where the temp dropped to 20 below and mine was the only rifle of 4 to work. I also use a remmy model 7 but in .308 for all my AK hunting. I use this stuff on my 11-87 and lube it good. So far I have used it in temps down to about 10 deg with no problems, cycles fine! The stuff is pretty pricey but a bottle last me about 7 months.

Hay John so how does the search for wolves down your way go, as for cleaning the rifle I do it every nite if for no other reason to get the condensation out of the barrel I have been useing that Kroll oil and it works really well I have not had a problem with the rifle sticking at all from the start have a good one >>>

Well as for me, after long experimenting, for lube I use TW-25B ... and for rust prevention I use Corrosion-X --- best stuff in the world! (check their website)....it works AS ADVERTISED; Period.

To double check ur rifle in cold wx (say -20 to-60 below, whatever), after lubing or leaving it dry w/ dri-slide or whatever your method is, put a round in the chamber (pull the bullet and dump the powder in you live in the city and fire only the primer), leave it outside all nite or at least say 6 hrs. on the coldest nite, then go out and fire it. Make sure it goes bang.

To avoid the condensationn problem, I ALWAYS leave a guncase outside my door when I leave -- when I return, I put my rifle in that cold guncase and then close or zip it, and bring it in the house and lay it on the floor. That way the rifle warms so slowly there is no condensation problem.

Your rifle is your precious companion.

Back