Question about 223?

AKwolfslayer

Hi guy's, New to the forum here and have a question on my .223. It's a Ruger M77 Mark II stainless .223 and I have shot four different types of ammo through it from 25.00 a box to 4.99 a box. With the spendy stuff I have a shot pattern of 5 in a 8" dia. at a 100yds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif . With the 4.99 a box stuff (PMC 55Gr.) my shot group is 5 in a 3" dia. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif ??? Why would this gun like the cheap ammo and is this PMC 55Gr. FMJ any good for yotes, fox, and wolves? I bought this gun cuase of the sale, this 223 with a Leupoled 3-9 vari xII, sling, and bipod was only 625.00. Couldn't pass it up! My first choice was a 220 swift, but they are hard to find and the ones I have found are spendy. Thanks for any info, and if you alaskan's have a E-mail listing or phone listing, I am willing to join, I live in wasilla and am looking at getting back into the varmit seen.

P.S. I have nailed two fox this year so far on a Kodiak deer hunt, one buetiful cross, and the other a dark red with silver tips! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have found some Rugers to be very picky about what you feed them also. I would glass bed it and put a timney trigger in it to help accuracy and then try to work up a load for it that I will shoot. What factory ammo did you try other than PMC? I have had a couple of .223 rifles that realy liked the winchester bulk pack 45gr HP before. My DPMS Panther will shoot those almost as well as handloads or black hills ammo. You might also want to check the rate of twist on your rifle and shoot heavier/lighter bullets depending on rate of twist.

It's been awhile since I have shot the other brands, the only one I can think of was the Hornady var-II 50gr Hollow point's. They were about $20.00 a box and they were the worst! Had bullets fying all over the place at 100yrds. The PMC is cheap and afordable but is it a good load for the game? Seems to me a FMJ would not be the best bet. Know any stores that have a good selection of .223 ammo? And what's the highest grain you can get? I do not reload, so if there is a person in alaska that would like my empties you can have them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For hunting you want a bullet that expands and expends it energy in to the animal and causes great internal damage. FMJ bullets are not what you want to hunt with . They just poke holes in and out and will probably leave you looking for a lot of wounded game. Go with a HP, softpoint, or balistic tip style bullet. The FMJ also tend to ricochet on missed shots where as the BT style bullets are less likely to ricochet due to the design of the bullet.

I think as a Coyote and wolf rifle you will be fine with the 223 but with Fox and Lynx you will spend more time fixing the hide than they are worth.I used a 223 for many years and tried every factory and hand load I could get my hands on and still to much hide work I went with a biger 17 wildcat and a 224 Clark and have not had any more hide problems.

As to group size I think beading will help a fast no coast way to check is do the slide the dollar between the stock and barrel the wood may have warped a bit if you have no tight spots then you will need to check a lot of ammo to see what your gun likes the best just my 2 cents have a great Sunday >>>

AKwolfslayer,
The front screw which holds stock to barrel may be too tight. Try loosening both screws a few turns. Now tighten rear screw first, just sort of tight though, not REAL tight. Now tighten front screw til it is snug, then back off 1/4 turn. I also suggest that you come over to firearms section and ask Jack Roberts about it, as he is our expert on firearms. As far as ammo, I would stay away from full metal jackets. I would also stay away from any bullet marked "SX" or "blitz", because the varmint type bullets can blow up on surface if you hit any bone. The folks at Black Hills shooter supply have some good ammo at medium price. I suggest bullets in 50-55 grain weight for coyote and bobcat size critters. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just a thought,the expenceve stuff is usually
a boat tail design with a small meplate .......
some guns just hate it and demand a flat base
bullet like pmc. My gun realy loves 55gr V-max
from Hornady and I have taken coyote,fox and also brush wolf from 20yd-535yd (ranged) and I can tell you for methay work great, hope this helps .........ps. reloading is addictive and you can give your gun what it wants to shoot not what you can find at the store . pss.my gun shoots sub m.o.a and has 2 1st place trophys .

Jonathan

I have the same rifle but in blue. Mine likes XMR 2015 and 52 gr Sierra HPBT's. It shoots the Hornady 55 gr SP's too. My rifle didn't like the barrel freefloated and needed some pressure on the barrel.

My rifle is a finicky SOB and will now shoot 1 MOA. I won't buy another Ruger. I'll stick to the CZ's and maybe a Tikka.

One may want to check the rate of twist on your gun also. My 223 rem at a 12 to 1 twist and is only recommended to under 55 grain. A 12 to 1 has a harder time stabilizing any thing over 55 grain. My rem likes the cheap American Eagle made by Federal in 50 grain flat base hollow point. A faster rate will make the bullet explode more violently in a 8 to 1 than a 12 to 1. There is a post on this some where. Any way I hope you luck with your gun

Back