Calling Lynx

SCOTT

I was wondering what have you guys found to be the best tactic for hunting lynx. Usually I look for fresh tracks and start calling, and I stay on stand longer and call more. But so far no luck. Any ideas?

Scott

Scott -

With lynx you have to be patient. Also you will probably "feel" them before you see them. By feel I mean that feeling that something is watching you. They can be very hard to spot. If you had the "feeling" but didn't spot him after you break your stand, circle it. Chances are you'll find out that you had a critter watching you! Can get kind of erie.

Another thing - right here we have had a down cycle (where as fbks & west have had a lot)and there just haven't been many around. Most of them seem to be around town and not back in the hills.

Well my experience on cats ... any cat ... is that they come in slow and watching, as described above ... to include a Mountain Lion called in in AZ. after 23 minutes of calling. 1 round of .17 remington w/ 25 gr. Hornady hollow point took it out at about 60 yds.

The thing that I notice about cats is that you usually do not see them come in .... so frequently they just "appear" .... like the appearance of a ghost. Nature of the beast.

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I will just have to be really patient. Maybe stay on stand a little longer.

Scott

Back