Okay I'll Start - Hand Calls In Cold Weather??

John/Alaska

How do you guys handle your calls when its 30 below and you are sitting in your stand for 30-45 minutes? For me I use both open & closed reed calls. I usually have atleast two of the same call with me and atleast another call not counting the others in the truck or sno go staying warm. One in my pocket keeping warm and one in my hand. The open reeds seem to work best but still can freeze. Just curious?

Story time:
Several years back I won in the Az Predator Posse's first hunt a proto type call made by Al Lux. (I wasn't in attendance) Anyway the thing is a beauty and real sweet to blow. First time I used it I brought in a beautiful cross fox.I had taken the precaution of taping the month piece to prevent my lips from freezing to it. Anyway temps dropped and I went to use it and my poor old tongue froze to the tip of it. Kind of bad sitting there in the middle of nowhere with this bright red metal thing attached to your tongue! Ended up having to put a plastic tube that extended well beyond the mouth piece. And yes it was Ouch!! when I pulled it off!

John,

I usually carry about 5 calls with me. I to carry n extra or two of my favorite call. I either keep them on lanyards close to my body or in my pocket witha hand warmer. I generally get one or two good series out of one before I swap it. I also turn the call around and lightly breath into the other end between series just to keep it warm. I'm glad hear I'm not the only one that has the open reed calls freeze up on me and with a quickness sometimes. Right now the calls I carry are the Dan Thompson PC-1, Johnny Stewart AP-3, Sceery AP-5 and a squeaker (All subject to change)

I have one of Al's calls that he sent and it game with a little piece of rubber hose on the mouth piece to protect from the "Christmas Story, Triple Dog Dare syndrom". You wouldn't by chance want to trade that Red Lux call for a new one would you? I could add that red one tape and all to my collection? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Todd

i have some problems with the open reed calls freezing on me but i'm usually able to pull the reed up with my tongue and get them blowing again i do however carry two to three AP-6s on me because they freeze up on me sometimes.

Hay John how is life treating you just got in and going back in a few days me I put the calls on a short lead and stick them in my jacket sleave that works preaty well and with them tied to your wrist they are allways there well you all have a great day also Thanks CAS for getting this Alaska or great white north section started>>>

I usually carry one 2 calls with me. I have them on a lanyard around my neck and the call not in use is inside my parka. I have only had a problem with freezing a couple times. When the call did start freezing up on me all I did was turn it around and slowly blow warm air through it and it would work fine. Of coarse most of my calling is done down here in Southcentral and I don't see the -30° temps some of you other fellas see. I have been up near Paxson a few times when it was -20° to -30° and didn't seem to have any problems. Maybe I am just lucky and have a dry breath.....

Alaskan Yoter -

Nope that proto type Lux call is too sweet to let go of. Actually I put it in a "safe" place last year and now can't find it!! I'm sure its tucked in with some of my gear someplace! Yeah getting my tongue froze to the tip was fun! Actually I was expermenting with the call trying to "researh" in for cold weather so the stuck tongue was a result. A slighly longer extension tube solved that. I also wrapped it in duct tape so my hands wouldn't stick to it. I don't like wearing gloves that much.

As to calling when its 20-40 below out usually the humidity is very low and freeze ups of my calls drop as compared to when calling a above temps. But on along stand they they all do.

Hey John,

I use to play musical mouth calls, but that got old so I invested in a Phantom caller. The coldest I've used it in was -15 deg. with no problems.
I'll be doing some calling this weekend. If you want to get to together, send me an email or post a message.

Randy -

Not a chance that I'd let go of that call. By the way I found it just after I last posted. It was buried under last years junk that I had left in my truck.

Scott -

Glad that you are still in Tok. I just got back from being out. I ended up chasing caribou the whole day and did no calling. Went up to south fork beyond chicken. Them bou have gone! So I'll get back to calling for a while. Just built a new wolf call and wanted to try it. Oh well there is always next week. Good luck

Hey all!! I have had problems with them freezing in snowwy cold days! The solution I found was a scotch Bellows call.you use the bellow instead of blowing stopping any freeze up in really cold weather!It is now my fav. call! Good luck!

Hi Scott I know this is a old post but you said you had a Phantom caller. How do you like it? Have you called any thing in with it? I have one to, but have not gotten anything with it. I`m working with the mouth calls most of the time.

I have had this freezing up problem myself, and have found too that if you blow into the other end slowly inbetween calls it will help. The only call I have is the P.S. OLT Model NO. T-20. Would like to pick up some more, what others are a good brand? And where can I find a SQWEAKER! Every where I look they are sold out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Originally posted by Alaskan Critter:
[qb]Hi Scott I know this is a old post but you said you had a Phantom caller. How do you like it? Have you called any thing in with it? I have one to, but have not gotten anything with it. I`m working with the mouth calls most of the time.[/qb]
Hey Alakan Critter,

So far I love my Phantom Caller. I like having the option of running the speaker out away from me. I Called in two Coyotes last week, they winded me and left. Had another one bark at me, but never came in. Didn't get a chance to hunt this weekend, had to make a run to Anchorage.

Scott

Thanks for the reply. I`m glad the Phantom works up here. I was having my doubts about it. I like how small the caller is, just wish it had more sounds on it. Still going to work with the hand calls also.

Back