Coyote at 400y & Deer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish a few of you non believers would show for a hunt or two up here in Feb. Youd leave here with a different outlook on coyoteshootin Me and two other guys got over 140 coyotes last season and 66 red fox I personally killed 56 that I entered in a contest in Itzen Mn. (Weibke Fur) please feel free to call them.these were during Jan ,FebSome were killed as close as 5ft. and one at 624yd running straight away,not as hard to do as a broad side running Dont figure everybody lies on these sights as a prairedog at 1500 or 2000 yd seems awful far even to me,But Ill bet somebody can do it. And Mr Ill reimburse your plane ticket if Im lying And youll??????????

Well, theres 1760 yards in a mile. Half of that would be 880. 880 yards equals 2640 feet.

A good quality, hot .223 55 Gr. bullets get 3200 FPS at the muzzle. The fall off is as follows...
At 100 - 2870fps
At 200 - 2520
At 300 - 2200
At 400 - 1910
At 500 - 1640
At 600 - 1407
At 800 - 1072
At 1000 - 925fps

The same load will drop as follows
At 100 - +1.4
At 200 - 0.0
At 300 - -6.9
At 400 - -20.9
At 500 - -45.0
At 600 - -81.4
At 800 - -213.7
At 1000 - -464.3

Your wind drift will be 106.1 inches at 800 yards and 179.9 inches at 1000 yards. You're energy has fallen off to about 75-100 Ft-lbs. The bullet is taking a while to get there, I can't find reliable data on just how long but its signifigant. Well thats my input... If you have an exact load by brand just let me know. If someone has some of ballistic software we can work out the leading required for these shots.

Seems to me Willy said "Call", What ya gonna do?
By the way, jrb, I love that song, on yer sign off.
Carl

I know the ballistics also any good reloading manual has them as does RCBS software,no one is disputing this.That .223 round was reliable enough to consitantly kill a man at 700 meters what makes you think it wouldnt kill a coyote with 100foot pounds of energy.Just maybe you should make those phone calls and when that dosent satisfy you I have some other proof of these shots happening from time to time.Not just with .223s I personally use a 25/06 most days.Again I say just because you cant or havent dose not mean it cant be done or isnt being done on a regular basis.Your just missing out because you think you know all there is to know.

One thing my loads are just a little hotter and 50 grain bullets I believe it was 27gr.of TACdont have all the data here I also believe it was over 3400 fps.closer t 3500 again not positive. Also I said that the lead dosent really get defined as you are using where the bullets hit to compesate.Boy are you guys hard to explain stuff to.But Ill also bet you havent killed 5 coyotes in the last year.You can have the Post back Im done so you can buddy talk. But you could never compete here.See Ya

Well willie I dont doubt ya.Has anybody seen calling all coyotes 2,by Randy Anderson.There where some awsome shots on there.While it may not be considered long range I have popped a few dogs on the run in 250 yd range and deer as well with my 243.Had a buddy do the same on one over 300 yds on a dead run with his model7,in the 243.after they busted us.I dont know if I'll ever get the chance around here to push it further because we dont have that kind of open space here.You know that saying,beware of the man with one gun,because he more than likely knows how to use it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Oh yeah waylon is tops!

Willy, I'm not really from Missouri and I know how many yards are in a half mile lol. I can even tell you how many feet and inches if you wish. You're right though, I don't have that many toes and fingers lol. I watched my buddy shoot a coyote on the run so far away I couldn't even see it. I asked where he aimed and he told me something like 15 feet in front of it and 8 or 10 feet over the top. I don't know how far away that would be with a 243, but I saw him do it. So Wille, we know it can be done. When you're talking that kind of range you have to except a little friendly feed back don't ya think? PS, don't hate me please, but I'm from California, Good Hunting and God Bless.

Danny and Joe, dont get me mixed up with the guy that made the 900 yard claim. I didnt say it, I just questioned it. Sounds kind of out there to me in more ways than one, read the posts I put up. Ron

Muddy Fork
I use the .243 and love it. The 243 will also work great on Deer.

I load the Hornady VMAX 58 gr. I can't remember the powder right now, but the muzzle velocity is 3900+ FPS.

The 243 is a great all around gun in my opinion. I am not knocking any other rifle or caliber, so don't start slamming me guys. I just think that if I had a choice, I would again get the 243 as a multple use rifle.

I've always wondered why these guys take it so personal when you put up ballistics information. That info is pertnant to the conversation and helps us get a grasps of how far your leading, drifting and how high your aiming to perform such a task.

If you say you often kill coyotes at 900 yards at a run, then it happened... if for no other reason than you say so. Especially in the way you described of waiting and watching for snow tufts... then adjusting. Nobody asked for references or compaired hunting abilities. Just like you say "You don't know what I can do" maybe you should heed that advice on comparing kills? I'd guess that kill number would be lucky to fall in the middle of the pack here at PM.

Also you're correct in your assumption that your riflery skills aren't the best in the world... I occasionaly speak to a two time national champion and he's no slouch. I personally just don't consider a situation where your leading 30-40 feet and 14-18 feet over their heads so much Skillful as Lucky.

Guys that shoot asprin out of the air with a .45 ACP and cigarettes with a bow & arrow at 75 yards will be the first to tell you HOW they do those things. Those are trick shots... tricks they practice thousands of times. A stationary prairy dog is the same thing... that is something you can practice as long as you can afford ammo. Situations like running animals are not so easily duplicated for practice... thats why even experts have low success rates at those things.

I've seen "calling all coyotes two"... good flick. I also have Eyes Front, another good film with some amazing moving shots in it. I've spoken with many hunting TV personalities and magazine columnists... they'll tell you about the 10 misses they took out in editing before showing some of those hard shots. I personally guide and video hunts for professional hunters and I know first hand how it works.

There is also no doubt that the best riflemen and coyote callers are NOT on television shows; they're in the backwoods of Virginia and Wyoming or something and they're HUNTING. Now it'd be a shame to find some way to take the ballistic information personal and run away from this conversation... maybe you could tell us what kind of groups your getting out of that .223 at a stationary target at 900 yards. I know guys that have their guns set up for 1000 yard shots on a target range... where do you have yours zeroed?

You have no Idea do you ,sounds like you read alot,same here,But its not as much luck as you say.I know your type and because you havent or cant. That means it cant be done.Guess what else its only a six power scope "flycrap on paper" youll say. that also tells me how many you have not looked at.Middle of the pack,I hardly think so.I bet your very near the bottom ,possibly an armchair wannabe with a two coyote limit.This # thing dosent mean much.No one claimed to be better than anyone, But I know Im better than you jbr You say wait for snow puffs,Idont remember waiting and Ill say it again,There are a lot of guys doing this stuff. One fellow I know wont shoot under 500yd.thats not paper and just because your good on paper dosent make you a hunter or a varmit shooter.My guns all shoot

Well there you go again. I'll try this one more time. Make sure you read this very well... reread it if necessary.

You know my type do you? Then why would you insinuate that I can't shoot a rifle or hunt down a coyote? It only makes since that you would be using a low powered scope; probably just as easy with open sites. If you're watching for snow puffs you really don't need a scope... in fact with the lead and drop you have to adjust for you couldn't use very much magnification at all or the dog wouldn't be in view. And you say you don't have to wait on the snow puffs? Just how fast are those bullets hitting the ground 900 yards away? From a semi-auto one could launch about 4 bullets before the first one touched down from a .223 at 900 yards!

Why wouldn't a person shoot under 500 yards? Just no sport in chump shots like that or is their scope jacked up so high for 2,000 yard shots they can't do the 500 yarders?

I passed no judgement on anyone. If you slow down and reread you'll find that I acknowledged that you frequently kill coyotes at 900 yards on the run... I asked you for more information such that my friends and I can work toward your level of shooting.

Step back, relax and reread the posts. I'm not being confrontational with you... I'm asking you legitimate questions and posting pertinant information. Turning this thing into a personal slam fest will do your credibility no-good. I'll ask you again, how often do you shoot 900 yard targets on paper? What do those groups look like? Where is your gun zeroed in? No you don't have to explain anything to me... no you don't have anything to "prove" to me but I'd like to understand more of the facts.

On the flip side... if you are just an instigator blowing smoke then feel free to continue with the personal attacks and relenquish all dignity you have on this site.

Oh, and I'm concealing a lot more steel than usual if I'm up to 275. I go maybe 230 with all clips loaded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Willy, don't take what guys say personally. This is a talk forum for everybody to voice there opinions be they right or wrong, that's what this is all about. Hey Willy, I can get these guys going by saying I've made 400+ yard shots at bobcats and coyotes, but I did it AT NIGHT lol. Good Hunting to you Willy, just relax and have some fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh you wouldn't get me going about a 400 yarder. I claim to have killed a dog at 460 yards with a 30-06... good thing I got that on tape /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can pull of some pretty good shots myself, but I can't make the claims we're hearing here... hopefully I'll be enlightened soon though.

JRB and Willie,
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Maybe it is time to lay this to rest. Neither of you will be convinced until you meet in person.
I know the kind of terrain Willie is talking about, and the skills that come with practice. I also know about ranges and what rifles do.(a little bit) Both of you have very good points.
I will say:
I have seen some incredible shots made with real crappy rifles. and seem some real easy shots muffed, with good rifles. (and done a bit of both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif )
What say we all hold our opinion on this until we can prove or not?? Keeping in mind individual incidents prove nothing.
Just my 2 bits
Carl

i would be willing to bet i could come close to hitting a big coyote at that range with a semi auto and a full belt of shells. it has some skill yet can be done by the average hunter if you think about it. with a 223 the recoil is little and you could lay down quite a few shells in a general area before the 1st hits. so you figure once you get an idea where to put the shot you lay 4-8 shells in that area and see what happens. i believe it yet i don't know how many times you could acomplish this with only 10 shots

Thanks for the input guys,Heres what Im shootin and like I said,2-3 times a season Ive seen it happen 1/2 mile fence. I use a ARS mini 14 with a muzzlebrake the size of a small sausage there is no recoil or not enough to matter alot more coyotes go down in the 500 -600 even 700yd range and its not as hard as you might think If you read all the posts the last one I shot on the 1/2 mile fence was 2 years ago from this last winter.Again when we got lots of soft snow them coyotes are a lot slower and also Im not the only guy who seen these shots some had three or four witnesses,there just laughing about this and saying forget it. Any of you guys like to stop up in feb.send me an e-mail and come on,guarentee youll never forget it!Just figure on a couple of days.week days are better than Wkends if we got snow. We still get some without it. This is no guide service just huntin.

Ballistic charts and drop tables can be thrown out the window when it comes time to shoot a running coyote. They have their place- stationary gun and stationary target. It does not matter if you are looking down the rib of a shotgun or through the scope of a rifle, what is perceived as three foot of lead and one foot of elevation to one person is not the same to another.

Running shots are learned from experience. Your brain is the best computer on the planet. Once you have made a long running shot, that sight picture is etched in your mind. The next time you have a similiar situation, you will remember what it looked like through your scope and try to duplicate what your brain is telling you.

One of the easiest running shots is straight away, slightly uphill, and at any practical range. The rest of the running shots, broadside to quartering away, require a hold on the head and I just worry about the up part when the shot starts getting to 400 yards.

Randy

Jrb,Like here we go again.I shoot about 2000-2500 rounds during the snow season and a few at gophers,woodchucks ,pidgeons,even a few sparrows,Once in a while I even put some paper up during summer months.But I dont practice I just shoot a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back