Rookie

trappnman

When I was a young pup, I tried to call fox using a Herters cottontail squeaker. I took a grand total of one fox. Flash forward 35 years, and I have thought about trying calling again. Today is my first time on this forum, and it just might be the kick in the butt that I need to try it again. I have some rookie questions: 1) I don't own a rifle larger than a .22, and don't really need one. Most of my potential calling area would be in fairly heavy timber/marsh areas. Would a full choke shotgun be the gun of choice in this terrain? 2) Electronic calls seem so easy, and I am sure that there is a technique to using them successfully- but I like things simple and would like to use mouth calls. 3) Do you recommend using a couple of different kinds of calls at each stand, or just one? 4) While I know that naming brands is very subjective but what are a couple of good (foolproof if you will LOL) calls for a beginner to try. I understand a lot about where to choose locations to call, but am unsure of the correct procedure to use while on a stand. Any advice to limit my beginner mistakes would be appreciated. thanks trappnman

------------------
Your American heritage- Fur Trapping, Hunting and Fishing

Hooowdyyyy!!!

Welcome to our humble home.

I’ll let someone else get to your questions since I’m feeling a little “green around gills” and not up to lengthy answers right now.

We’ve got the best of the best here and they’ll steer you in the right direction.

I hope you become a regular here at Predator Masters. We’ve got a bunch of real nice folks and we all seem to get a long rather well too; which just makes it that much better....
wink.gif

------------------
pmcatsig.GIF

http://www.predatormasters.com

For the terrain you describe a full-choke 12ga would probably be a good gun to use. Your effective range will have to be determined by the load and choke combination you are shooting.

Using different calls on a stand will vary by each caller you ask. You can use several different sounds but most people seem to use one. Unless you are using coyote vocalizations on your stand in conjunction with prey distress sounds. This is a whole topic unto itself.

I personally like Sceery calls. All are great with the AP-6 & AP-7 being my "favorites". Dan Thompson makes a great line of calls also. Just about any commercially made predator call will call coyotes when blown withing earshot of a coyote.

While on a stand, keep movement to a minimum. Also pay attention to the wind. How you play the wind is really up to you. When selecting a good site for a stand, make sure there are coyotes in the area. I have hunted with several guys that complain on and on about lack of success and niether of them scouted the areas they hunted at all. They just hunted areas that looked good, but really had no idea whether or not a coyote is there. Scout first and find an area that actually has coyotes there.

Coyote vocalizations and wind direction can really open a can of worms (Sorta like the call lure post, hehe). Ask more specific questions about those.

Hope this helps.

Buenas Dias Trappr.

Are you gonna try for fox again, or the omnipresent coyote? Both of these little critters can make out a lousy call from a mile away. My recommendation is to go out and buy a few calls, like rabbit in distress, so on and so forth, practice practice practice, in other words, tick the ol' lady off. Tons of calls on the market, I just buy what catches my eye and sometimes comes my way free. Guys on here are experts on calls, check out the forum for those.

I use a shotgun on occasion, and (reaching for the flak vest...) .17 Rem and a Rem 700 22-250 depending on what kind of mood I'm in. #2 in 3" would work quite well for fox, I use #4 for coyote. Working timber I use something quite smaller in a shotgun, an ol riot gun I've had for years, allows me freedom of movement. A 22 is just a little small for "me". Fox and coyotes are tough.

Just like coyote, fox can pick out movement quicker than your wife can see lipstick on your collar. The fox and coyotes in my part of the country have a unique ability to see me blink. I use total camo, but then I'm in the open a lot. Like Utah mentioned, I'm a firm believer in scouting, no use setting up hoping for game when they're a mile away.

Welcome to the forum, lots of great folks on here. These guys know their stuff.

Bob

Trappnman, Welcome to our home. We try to get most questions answered if we can. Sometimes it may take a while as we might be arguing about BMPs or "human scent" on the trapping forum. You know how that goes. Anyway, to your questions. Gosh, you can hammer me three places now. LOL!

1) I don't own a rifle larger than a .22, and don't really need one. Most of my potential calling area would be in fairly heavy timber/marsh areas. Would a full choke shotgun be the gun of choice in this terrain?

A full choke shotgun will kill some coyotes for you but there will be some that hold up just outside of shotgun range. For those you may need a centerfire in either .17. .222, .223, .22/250 or similar caliber. I know fur is a concern for you so I would stay with one of the smaller calibers.

2) Electronic calls seem so easy, and I am sure that there is a technique to using them successfully- but I like things simple and would like to use mouth calls.

Ed Sceery makes a great line of calls. I prefer the AP6 and the AP7. The open reed calls are more versatile and usually take a little more practice as well. Rich Cronk makes a nice howler.

3) Do you recommend using a couple of different kinds of calls at each stand, or just one?

I would recommend using just one distress call to begin with then if you start howling, then use both. Where you have fox and coyotes it's best not to howl for obvious reasons.

4) While I know that naming brands is very subjective but what are a couple of good (foolproof if you will LOL) calls for a beginner to try.

Foolproof would be Ed Sceery's closed reed calls. Tell him where you are from and the primary prey species in your area and he can help you out.

5) I understand a lot about where to choose locations to call, but am unsure of the correct procedure to use while on a stand.

Limit your movements. I call a short sequence then wait 3 minutes then repeat. You need to have some visibility but still be somewhat concealed to break your outline. Hope this helps! Wiley E

trappnman:

I'm just up the road from you and if you want get in touch with me. I have a fist full of hand calls and electronic that you are welcome to look at and try. I also use long guns (center fire rifles) and we could try a combo scattergun/rifle and call in a few to "expreiment". Let me know if you want too....

.....good hunting

Trappnman,

We farily close to each other and
I've have used the "circe" and "tally ho" brand calls to bring in fox and coyote. I would think your choice of a 12 ga. would be quite sufficient unless you were going to hit the open areas on the ridges above Lake City.
Hey, wait a minute.. I thought they only Water Skied in Lake City??? LOL.

Chuck

trappnman & CRhodes:

Why don't we try for an early Sat morining coffee someplace in the middle for intros, discussion, amd maybe some planning???????

Owatana, Rochester, Red Wing, Cannon Falls, etc??????

Well I would have posted a long one for you but it seems to me my friend that everybody here has done such a great job in answering your post I have nothing more to add. And wecome to Predator Masters.

------------------
Jason's Gun Room
Quality Custom Gunsmithing

shotgun- that sounds good- Red Wing would be good, or Cannon Falls- my plate is full until June, but then I have some free time trappnman

------------------
Your American heritage- Fur Trapping, Hunting and Fishing

Back