huskemaw vs. leupold

StinkPickle

so im in the works of building a custom rifle and huskemaw sells a pretty nice scope for like 1,300 bucks with that turret where you just dial in the range. I was thinking of just getting a nice leupold with mil spec turrets. what is your thoughts on this?

Originally Posted By: StinkPickleso im in the works of building a custom rifle and huskemaw sells a pretty nice scope for like 1,300 bucks with that turret where you just dial in the range. I was thinking of just getting a nice leupold with mil spec turrets. what is your thoughts on this?

The Husky is a Turkey!

You can get "Dial the range" turrets with the Leupold "CDS" scopes. Leupold has a life time guarantee, and they will actually be here for your lifetime...

The Husky is a fly-by-night outfit that peddles over priced junk, and in 10 years, will be history.

For $1,300, you can buy some of the best optics available, like the top end Leupolds and the Nightforce scopes.

What they said, I also Like Vortex PST FFP for about 900 bucks.
Use the rest to buy a good rangefinder, then dial it in.

NF and Leo are great scopes if you want to spend more.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: StinkPickleso im in the works of building a custom rifle and huskemaw sells a pretty nice scope for like 1,300 bucks with that turret where you just dial in the range. I was thinking of just getting a nice leupold with mil spec turrets. what is your thoughts on this?

The Husky is a Turkey!

You can get "Dial the range" turrets with the Leupold "CDS" scopes. Leupold has a life time guarantee, and they will actually be here for your lifetime...

The Husky is a fly-by-night outfit that peddles over priced junk, and in 10 years, will be history.

For $1,300, you can buy some of the best optics available, like the top end Leupolds and the Nightforce scopes.

^^^^What he said. For the $1300 you can get a new Leupold or a used Nightforce. I also like the PST as stated below, the scope is repeatable but I find the glass a little lacking compared to my MK4 and NXS, not to say the PST wouldnt do it all. It just seems not quite as good of glass.

A buddy of mine has an older model Huskemaw (maybe five yrs old) and comparing next to my NXS this summer, it was not comparable IMO to say the least. Not to say that he hasn't killed plenty of game with it, but as others stated, there are better scopes for the money. If the NF do have a downside, I would say it is the weight, but depending on your application may be just fine. I would be looking at a Leupy or a NF.

....oh and Leupold will build a BDC turret for any scope that will accept one. Just send them your info.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokin BarrelA buddy of mine has an older model Huskemaw (maybe five yrs old) and comparing next to my NXS this summer, it was not comparable IMO to say the least..

not defending the huskemaw scope because ive heard nothing but bad reviews about them, you cant compare a 2000 dollar scope to 1300 dollar scope,... with that being said i would have the leupold with cds over the highly hated huskemaw

Originally Posted By: berger-kingOriginally Posted By: Smokin BarrelA buddy of mine has an older model Huskemaw (maybe five yrs old) and comparing next to my NXS this summer, it was not comparable IMO to say the least..

not defending the huskemaw scope because ive heard nothing but bad reviews about them, you cant compare a 2000 dollar scope to 1300 dollar scope,... with that being said i would have the leupold with cds over the highly hated huskemaw

Agreed....but his $1500 Huskemaw to my $1600ish NXS is a somewhat fair comparison IMO.

thanks for the replies. had a hunch the huskemaw was crap. as soon as i found out it was made in japan. will look into nightforce and a high end leupold.

Originally Posted By: StinkPicklethanks for the replies. had a hunch the huskemaw was crap. as soon as i found out it was made in japan. will look into nightforce and a high end leupold.

I have to throw in my two cents. Don't knock glass just because it's "made in Japan". One of my favorite Nightforce scopes says that right on it. I think it's the number 3 question on the Nightforce website under FAQ's...

http://nightforceoptics.com/faqs/

Personally, I tried a Huskemaw and was not impressed. I'll stick with my NF's, my one SB, one Kahles, and all my old Leupolds.

Above all, go out and SHOOT them! Check the tracking all the way out and all the way back! No matter what the name/place of origin on the outside says; some scopes track, and some don't!!! I saved for several years for my first Schmidt Bender and sent it back three times because it didn't track! It was supposed to be one of the best, and wasn't even close. I love it now, but I've got a couple Leupolds, and a Kahles that track perfectly and I bought all three used. (One of them had been used HARD too)!

Originally Posted By: StinkPicklethanks for the replies. had a hunch the huskemaw was crap. as soon as i found out it was made in japan. will look into nightforce and a high end leupold.

nightforce is made in japan

I tried a Huskemaw for a while and was not impressed, for $500 it would be a good scope but at $1300 its way over priced. You can get an excellent high end Leupold MK4 or even a Swarovski with ballistic turrets for the same price.

Originally Posted By: berger-kingOriginally Posted By: StinkPicklethanks for the replies. had a hunch the huskemaw was crap. as soon as i found out it was made in japan. will look into nightforce and a high end leupold.

nightforce is made in japan

The NF 3.5-15x50 F1 is made in the USA.

From the NF website:

Some of our optics are engraved with "Made in USA" while others are engraved with "Made in Japan." The country of origin for the source of the primary core components of the optics requires the appropriate “Made in” designation.

We have worked with the premier Japanese firm since our earliest days, as they have proven time and again to be industry leaders in optical design and manufacturing. It has always been the Nightforce Optics goal to build and offer the best optics in the world. With that said, all of the final assembly and quality assurance testing to guarantee Nightforce Optics standards is conducted at our factory in Orofino, Idaho. All service, modifications and warranty work is performed in our Idaho facility as well.

Last edited:

????

Where did the Japan prejudice come from?

Japan makes some of the best optics and lab glass on the planet.

Originally Posted By: StinkPicklei've grown up being told not to buy japan; thats all.
plus i would rather support usa.

Now this is just a sense of humor coming out here, but I grew up with my dad telling me you never wanted to live in a house a black family had lived in, he heard it from his dad. I think my dad is a bigoted racist idiot and so was his dad. At some point we pay attention to reality.

Back