wind direction

mrcoon

when setting up do you guys always consider wind direction? should you always set up and use a cover scent? around my area i am using skunk cover and blowing distress cottontail call, but they seem to not respond like i think they should. could they be edgucated to the point i need another type of call?

Knowing the wind direction is important.This topic is known to ruffle a few feathers because of the differing opinions on the subject.I like to call with the wind at my back.Most coyotes like to circle down wind to get your scent,so if the wind is at my back I can feel fairly confident that I know which direction the coyote will come in from.I also stand a very good chance that they won't sneak in from behind me.I know that there can be variables involved that make it hard to call with the wind at your back but as a general rule I try to keep it at my back.As far as skunk scent goes.That is the only cover scent I use and it has worked great for me.just my opinion though.And lastly about the call I use the Sceery open reed call and the Sceery variable call,because I can make a number of different sounds and the coyotes seem to love them
smile.gif

You should always be aware of the wind direction. I'm not saying you should never call downwind, but just be aware of which direction the wind is blowing and be able to cover this downwind side. Many coyotes will try to circle downwind to get the scent. Make sure you stop them before they get directly downwind or the game is over. Stop them by barking very loud with your voice or by loudly saying the word 'whoop'.

No Nebraska,
You gott put more feeling in it like "WHOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPP"
It works every time.

But seriously I have learned that more coyotes come in from down wind.Not all mind you but "more" so never completely disregard an area or sure enough you'll get ambushed.

Later,
Justin

Mrcoon, Yeh wind direction is very important. I call in the open country in the Dakotas. I always try to have the wind in my face. When the wind switches to my back and I have coyotes circle a long ways out there, they usually wind me and leave without offering a shot within decent rifle range. I usually locate my coyotes and usually know the direction they will approach from.

Now with that said, I believe that there are circumstances that allow calling with the wind to be effective. Ed Sceery and I had this discussion which led to me learning why calling with the wind can be advantageous in certain situations.

In heavy cover, coyotes will try to circle you. They are also not as quick to leave when concealed by that cover. Your sound will carry farther particularly in heavy winds. In some areas, your scent will rise allowing calling with the wind to be effective. Some guys use electronic callers and place the sound away from themselves and shoot the coyotes as they circle downwind. Some guys post a partner downwind of the caller and shoot the coyotes as they circle downwind. So it really depends on your circumstances.

In the open country that I call, calling with the wind will educate coyotes. They just wind you and leave. It happens all the time when the wind switches while I am on a stand. I never call with the wind where I am at but if I had a partner to cover the downwind side, I might try it. If I had an electronic call and could place the sound away from me, I might try it. If I was in a coyote calling contest with high winds, I would certainly try it as the sound will not carry against the wind.

In regards to cover scents, they can also be advantageous for stopping coyotes in certain situations or for directing their approach to your call. That is their biggest value. As far as masking your scent, forget it. A bird dog can take a full load of skunk in the face and still trail birds. Coyotes will smell you right through it. Just ask anyone who has ever trained dogs to track people. Even the charcoal suits do not fool the nose of a canine. Just my thoughts! Wiley E

INTO THE WIND INTO THE WIND INTO THE WIND INTO THE WIND!!!!! They always want to get down wind and if they do it is at a long distance if they start to go down wind shoot immediately.That is what i live by but do understand that calling with the wind will work in other areas of the country.

What would you say is the "average" distance that you have seen them circling downwind of the caller? I hunt mainly hardwoods and thickets so this info can be pretty critical for my setups.

Thanks.

------------------
fea900b9.jpg.orig.jpg

Bob-NY,

The distance they circle downwind varies by coyote and by situation. Some will circle within 10 yards. I have seen some circle a half-mile out. Probably some have circled even further and I never saw them. Generally speaking, most probably circle between 50-150 yards.

I think most coyotes in open country circle to wind you at a distance of 250 yards and closer.It all depends on the terrain you are calling in.In the thicker stuff it is probably closer.I don't think a coyote can wind you 1/2 mile away though,than is close to 1000 yards away.As Wiley mentioned Ed Sceery swears by calling with the wind at his back,Since I followed Ed's advise and have been calling with the wind at my back my success has improved greatly.Open country,thick stuff it hasn't seemed to matter much.If most coyotes circle within 250 yards or so,I feel confident I can get a good shot at them before they wind me.The areas Wiley hunts though,I understand why it may not be the best way to go about it(wind at your back).I am not trying to ruffle anyones feathers I am just stating what has worked for me over the years.

[This message has been edited by UTcaller (edited 04-13-2001).]

OK, here's my take on this. I hunt coyote in both hardwoods and open country, ie: river bottoms and Sand Hills. When in open country, the best luck I've had is calling with the wind behind my back. This projects the call much further than if you calling into the wind. Granted, longer shots are taken with this method due to the chances of getting winded. But in the wide open spaces of Nebraska, coyotes can hear your calls all the way from South Dakota...ok, maybe a slight exageration on my part but you know what I mean. We're talking miles and miles of grass...no trees, no bushes....just grass. Many of the coyotes will follow the gulleys and valleys..and just before they think they're getting within visual of the prey, they'll pop over a rise. That's when daddy gets home.

In Hardwoods, I've noticed that no matter what position I take, the trees, hills and other obstructions bounce my call. At least I think they are. I dont think the coyote can get a real good idea of where the dying critter is with the sound waves banging back and forth between the trees. I use a scent in that scenario, a little pee pee here, a little pee pee there. Gives them a better idea where the prey is. I havent fiqured out how they can tell direction by smell and not by hearing....but they are coyotes. Shots tend to be MUCH closer in the hardwoods, I use a shotgun while working the river bottoms.

"I Hunt, Therefore I'm Broke"

I would guess that nearly everyone starts out hunting some sort of prey species- deer turkey=elk etc. Wind direction is important for one reason only them smelling you, This is a defensive mode BUT when you hunt a predator wind direction takes on a whole new meaning, they use their nose to hunt with, In an offensive mode, they are going to try and scent their prey and to scent any rivals-its our job to use this to our advantage

[This message has been edited by howler (edited 04-16-2001).]

Bob - NY, the distance that a coyote circles you is generally a result of habitat. Coyotes will "usually" use the available habitat to circle downwind of you. In heavy cover it's going to be closer than it is here in open grasslands. That is why I gave you the advice I did on calling in your timbered country. The distance that they circle in your case will "usually" depend on how far you are away from the edge of the timber. They will "usually" circle where they can see out but where they are still concealed. You should try to take advantage of that instinct to kill them in the timber. Try it and let me know how you turn out.

When the wind switches to my back, I have had coyotes wind me out of "MY" effective rifle range many times. 400+ yards! My howling will carry to a distance where you will have to move towards the coyotes to get them to respond anyway. The distance of sound is not an issue with the way I call.

Guys, try both methods and see what works best for you. I think this is another issue of dealing with the variables you are presented in the area you call. Remember it's not a matter of how many you kill, it's a matter of how many you could have killed. Wiley E

[This message has been edited by Wiley E (edited 04-16-2001).]

Back