Skinning coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomT

?????? But saving fur is a "non-issue these days with fur prices so low..." ??????

Taking the hide off a coyote isn't one of the easiest tasks I've ever encountered,
but most everyone has access to a couple of strong posts and a come-a-long. I
can tell you I have very rarely just let a coyote lay or thrown it in a ditch or just
cut the ears off and called it good. Maybe the hide was damaged or diseased or
rubbed and really wouldn't make a decent hide at all--you can still use the skull,
nails, pads/glands, urine...

I just can't let them lay or go to waste, and I hate thinking about all those really
furry ones ADC guns from the planes in the winter (though I understand they can
not be used and realize there could be a conflict of interest).

Hides are a great natural resource found on coyotes and can be utilized--even if
they aren't worth much AT ALL. How many of our parents/grandparents would
have told us: "...well, you shot it, you'd better do something with it..." (thank
God not "eat" it in this case, but you darned sure had better get to skinnin' it.

TomT

I think my grandad and his dad would have said,"That's one less calf and kid eatin' S.O.B. we have to worry about. Now get rid of that stinking bugger!" Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking what you beleive, but not everyone's folks feel or felt that way.

------------------
B.Pierce

[This message has been edited by Wiley E (edited 04-07-2001).]

[This message has been edited by songdogger (edited 04-08-2001).]

I thought shooting 'em was doing something with them...target practice. They aren't going to waste, think of it as saving paper.

Songdogger,
I understand how you feel but perhaps you could have said the same thing without the use of profanity? There are ladies and children who come to this board for information.

I don't take the hides, but I do take the heads. Nothing goes to waste. Bugs, Birds and even another coyote will eat what is left.

This is an old topic not really worth hashing out again.We wasted alot of time with it on another forum.And I think we all agreed to disagree....

sondogger, please don't take offense to my cleaning the post up a bit. The moderators have agreed to try to keep things reasonably clean. It's not like I haven't used similar language myself many times. There are some words that we believe cross the line for women and children. I hate to sound like the preacherman here but we have to stick to the rules we have laid down. If I cross the line, you jump right in the middle of me too. Please don't take offense. Wiley E

Tom T, although I respect your opinion here this is one of those moral issues. Every person has a different set of morals and they are not always consistent with actual regulations and laws. There are laws against "wanton waste" but they do not apply to coyotes. Hence, it is a personal decision whether to utilize or to leave them lay.

We have found that these issues end up being real controversial on other forums because not everyone shares the same values. When someone suggests others should follow their value system, arguments break out and no one gives. I realize that you never pushed your value system on anyone. I am just trying to give you and others a heads up that this is one of those no - win topics. Utilization vs. waste.

In regards to aerial hunting, most of the aerial hunting I do is after Feb. 1. Very few coyotes are not already rubbed by then and many have mange. If they were prime I don't think the taxpayers would appreciate taking 15 minutes of an $85 per hour contract pilot's time to pick up a coyote that was worth $15. Especially when weather allows a narrow window of opportunity.

This aerial hunting of coyotes is conducted in areas that have had historical livestock losses. By waiting until Feb. 1 it gives the recreational callers time to get them and that is when coyote immigration starts to slow down some. Again, I do appreciate your concern for waste and your position in trying to utilize coyotes to the best of our abilities. Wiley E

Well guys I keep the skull and the hides too! Just got to do it, and a photo too.

------------------
Jason's Gun Room
Quality Custom Gunsmithing

Wiley E--

I appreciate the "heads up" concerning this issue, and your explanation makes good sense.

Thanks for taking the time and space to do it.

Tom T.

Hears a outlook on it that i have not seen stated in the past and may help at least one person see things in a different light.

Reguardless of if the hides are prime or not when I'm hunting on public land I try my best to utilize most of the animal, hide's, skull, claws,
anything i can, simple because I feel its public property and to just kill it for the sport of killing deprives others to a public resorse. Maybe some one who will use it's hide? or a simply photograph of it living.

On the other hand if a Rancher wants me to kill every damn coyote i can before they eat any more of his calfs and hang them like voodo dolls on a fence so he can drive by and spit on them from his John Deer, well so be it! He has a right to manage his property the way he see's fit! But I never meet one who wouldn't let me take what ever i wanted off them first.

Texas has very little public land so you can see how some one might be a little upset or feel cheated if they where to go coyote hunting in their local public forest or prarie and find a gun shot coyote fullly intacte. Ya think close to what the rancher feels when he sees that calf go to waste?

------------------

Good Hunting,

The Boogieman

To a degree I partially agree with all of you. To take a position (A vs B), or to post opposition to one because you believe in the other, is all good and natural. Why a car vs truck, why pickup vs SUV, why blonds vs brunetts, why 17 vs 223, etc.....that's human nature.

Some on this board are recreational hunters, some pelt hunters, and some control hunters. Each has a different drive, intentions, and objectives. In all cases I believe that we have, in our own ways, learned to respect the Coyote for whatever reason. Out of respect for the vanquished hunter we should each take appropiate actions and not fault someone else because they do it differently.

A land owner on another post stated that " he didn't want a bunch of dead coyotes laying around because they drew other coyotes". Another hunter stated that " if the animal rights people saw all of these dead coyotes laying around they would have a field day".

Each is an opinion, but I believe that to protect our right to do what we all enjoy, however we enjoy it, we need to keep a weary eye out for the opposition too. Whether we use, or not, all or part of the animal, we should all consider cleaning up after ourselves, in whatever manner we feel appropriate for the situation. Either the 3S (shoot, shovel, shutup) or 4S (shoot, skin, shovel, shutup) works for me. Kind of like the Golden Rule! good hunting!........

Thank you Shotgun,you have put it like I was going to say. You have a great point about the Anti's,I have seen coyotes hanging from trees,along fences and yes hanging out of Truck driving down the road. I teach hunter Ed.here in Texas.I tell everyone to cover there Deer or any other wild life so that the anti's or even a Non-Hunter can't say anything about it.

Now I will get off the soap box. Like shotgun stated some of us hunt for control and other hunt for the sport. I would like to say I enjoy both. But I tell most of the land owners I will dig a pit and then cover it when I am finshed. I also use a lot of lime in the pits.

Thank Yuo for your time.

Doc

Sorry folks about the profanity. I was trying to show what my folks would have thought or said without me thinking of being tactful.
Wiley E, no problem about the edit. I should have done the same. I just got a little perturbed at someone trying to push their ideals upon others and make them feel bad about the things they do or don't do. Already been through that on other boards.

Rich, thanks for trying to keep me straight. I agree 100% about what you said.

I will be more tactful in the future.

------------------
B.Pierce

[This message has been edited by songdogger (edited 04-08-2001).]

TomT, No hostility directed toward you intentionally. I just typed before I thought. I admit that I let some lie, hang some on the fence and skin some. I don't have anything against your beliefs and practices and hope that you can understand or tolerate mine. Anyway, to each his own. Good hunting!

------------------
B.Pierce

My position on this issue is that I don't promote mandatory skinning, OR public display. Skin what you want, and take what you want. There aren't many requirements, to my mind.

Everybody is grown up and has a need to hunt, and their own reasons for doing it.

I'm not advocating this, but this is what I do, personally. I prefer to dispose of the animal properly, skinned or not. I will walk considerable distance, or whatever it takes, to make sure that the casual passer-by doesn't notice butchered, or wasted animals. Never regretted the effort.

Good hunting. LB

Well Guys ya'll sure are arguing alot ...or shall I say bickering back and forth... I just want everybody to know that Songdogger is one of my very best friends and when he speaks like that it is because were we live we have to put up with anti's around every corner and frankly it tends to p*ss you off pretty badly at times and I personally know what he meant when he said what he did and I have to agree with him 100% on people and there views they try to pass/push along to us other hunters..Personally if I wanted someone to tell me what to do and not to do I would enroll back into kindergarden...I am an adult and my family looses $5000.00 to $10,000.00 worth of livestock annually and if I myself want to shoot every coyote I see and hang it on a fence, dump it in a ditch or choose to skin it..I do not feel that any person on this earth can tell me if I am doing right or wrong..If some of the people disagree with this I am sorry for you...You do not know I guess what it feels like to loose $5,000.00 to $10,000.00 dollars annually to predation and until you do I guess you will go on judging others with your beliefs and not the situation at hand>>>>>>No offense to anyone.....Just standing up for my BUD and venting a little to the people that will listen to someone that is financially burdened by predation!!!!! For the sanity of all others some need to keep your ethics,morals, religion and any other personal beliefs to themselves and if any of use want your opinion I am sure we all are adult enough to ask you to preach your serman when we want to hear it!!! Good hunting to all & Help the beef industry.. run over a chicken!!! ha! ha!

------------------
Bus-Bus

Originally posted by Bus-Bus:
For the sanity of all others some need to keep your ethics,morals, religion and any other personal beliefs to themselves and if any of use want your opinion I am sure we all are adult enough to ask you to preach your serman when we want to hear it!!!

Well, Bus-Bus--

This is a forum where we can all give our opinions, whether someone asks for them or not--so if I want to rant and rave and express an OPINION, I'll do it--and even if that opinion is not all nice and buttered-up, it's still an opinion. I'm not going to pretend that what I write is gospel. And I can't please 100 percent of the people 100 percent of the time--that's for politicians to attempt.

Thanks for respecting my right to an opinion as I respect yours.

Tom T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back