Tactics for hunting them in the woods?

Bob-NY

In my area I am pretty limited to calling in either hardwoods or thickets and my max shooting distance is ~125 yards. Seems that everything that I've either read or seen on videos is about calling from open areas. How would you or do you call coyotes in the woods?

------------------
http://www.zing.com/picture/pb54202075843f346ffb53a01eac4b510/fea900b9.
jpg.orig.jpg

Bob,
You have to be ever mindful of wind direction when calling the thick stuff. If you have a pardner you can have sit down-wind fifty yards or more while you are calling, he can whack some of the critters that circle around there to catch your scent. If you use electronic caller, placing the machine cross-wind of your hidey hole helps a lot too.

In the woods I make my first series about half volume because a coyote could be very close by. I then increase in volume after the first few minutes.

I usually make shorter series because I don't want to be calling when a coyote shows up at close range.

I have found a motion decoy to help a lot when calling in the woods. It gets the coyotes attention off you so a shot can be taken. Even if the decoy is only 10-20 yards away from you. Good luck to you.

------------------

I have to hunt a lot of woods also. I find an area on an open flat, most of the time we try to get close to a water source. Don't ask me why, but I have better luck around a stream or farm pond. Set the caller about 50-75 yards upwind of the shooter. Yes upwind... the shooter has a better chance at getting a look at the yote this way, my other experiences led me to this. I use a squirrel in distress, injured woodpecker, crow distress, or fawn distress. The earlier the better... try to get in and set up under the cover of darkness, start calling right at dawn. Most of the dogs will circle down wind of the caller, USE FOX URINE as your cover sent! Coyotes will kill any fox they can get their paws on, especially one that is having breakfast in his neighbor hood! If you are hunting single think about a tree stand, I have not tried it, but understand that it is a great tactic. I have had good luck with my rabbit decoy, just have not tried it in the woods yet.

Hey guys...

I have suggested to others in the past that they try calling from a tree stand. I’ve gotten some feedback from some of those who hunt the thick stuff.

They have told me that the concept of calling from a tree stand made a world of difference for them. Wish I could be more helpful but where I call, seeing responding predators isn’t a big problem, in most cases.

Good luck to all you "thick stuff" callers...
wink.gif

------------------
yotewalk.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

I hunt the Ozark Mountains of Missouri. This is mostly heavy timber, pine, oak and hickory with brushy stream corridors and rocky glades ect... I like to think of predator calling as very similar to turkey hunting. Woodsmanship counts here! Location as in real estate means everything. Think of travel and approach lanes, terrain features such as ridge tops, secondary ridges, saddles, points, draws, hollows, blowdowns or clearcuts, flats ect... As in deer hunting any terrain break or edge attracts coyotes and their prey animals, rabbits, mice, small birds, differing vegatation, fruits, and berries.
I use a topo map and keeping the prevailing wind in mind plan my set-ups ahead of time by the map.

------------------
"Doing the right thing isn't always easy, but it's always Right!"

That was really some good info you gave GC,Here in NE Ky,I have to do most of my calling in heavy timber,and have to depend on approach lanes to be successful.I will use old logroads,stripmine roads,and major ridges to call from.Wene calling in thick and hilly areas these approach lanes will more times than not put predators right in your lap.

Bob

I don't have a lot of experience in calling in timber but enough to have had some success. I would call with 2 people or with an electronic caller. I would place the caller on the edge of a clearing opposite of where you think the coyotes will approach from. Have one guy position himself in the opposite edge of the clearing, just inside the timber, and downwind of the caller.
Coyotes will usually circle just inside of the timber line where they can see out but are still concealed. That's where the shooter needs to be. It's sure fun to shoot a coyote when he is looking away from you. This is the way we called coyotes in the mountains of Colorado. Try that and let me know how you turn out. Wiley E

I'm glad to see I'm not the ONLY one that hunts in the timber! I mainly hunt alone so that makes it a bit more difficult. I have hunted from treestand with my electronic caller on the ground and upwind of me, but I just can't seem to get those coyotes to show themselves. I must be doing "something" wrong, but I just can't put my finger on it! I tried changing my techniques by adjusting the volume, intermittent calling, decoys, throwing in a couple howls, etc... but I just can't entice those wary critters in.

Our season closed about 3 weeks ago, so I have until next winter before I can go play with the coyotes again. [
frown.gif
]

------------------
fea900b9.jpg.orig.jpg

Back