Exercising your rights

Originally Posted By: reb8600To me it is just asking for problems. Personally I dont need to do it.

Ditto you are just asking for problems. 1. Giving ammo to the anti gun crowd. 2. Tying up public resources with people crying wolf.

3. What if you educate the public to feel safe around people carrying and the public doesnt call 911 but yet this time its a mental case with a gun walking down the street getting ready to be a mall ninja.

Last edited:
I don't think that takes "Courage"....With the recent events of the last few months, IMHO, that's just creating an unnecessary amount of stress on the general public, not to mention the needless calls to a 911 board...They only have so many lines to begin with...

+ 1 ot - We need to use common sense when trying to educate the general public.
A portion of the public already views gun owners in a bad light - dont give them more reason to do so.
Exercise your rights , by all means, but bear in mind doing like those guys in Orgon is doing just what the politicians do to us - trying to force things on us that we may or may not agree on.

I don't agree guys. We talk on here about our rights, but when someone exercises those rights we say they are causing problems? The law says it is legal, who are we or anyone else to say they can't do it. I understand that it is a bold move but they did nothing wrong.

Just wait till someone tells you its a stupid stunt for you to go to the range or go out and hunt some fur maybe that will change your mind. These guys were well within there rights trying to help out they can't be held responsible for others peoples actions such as calling 911.

bomberhat....Many years ago, before all the controversy, we used to have a car dealer that wore a ten gallon hat, dressed western, and carried a single six revolver in a western rig..(totally legal in MO since 1841)..as he was going around town conducting his business...Including going into banks and other places...

You would be surprised at how many calls of concern that we got on a weekly basis, even though he had been doing this for years as part of his advertising, about a man carrying a gun...

Even though we pretty well knew the subject of the call, it still ties up response units checking out the complaint...We ignored nothing...Even though it was a promotional advertising stunt and he was legal in his effort, it still generated a negative amount of concern...For while the officers were responding, their concentration was on safely arriving, they were distracted from other things going on around them at the time...

California up until the beginning of 2012 had an open carry statewide provision, pretty radical for this state considering it may be just about the toughest state in the US to get a concealed weapon permit.

What contributed to the ability to carry openly was the fact that very few people even knew you could.

I found out about it from a police officer that had responded to me calling about an extortion attempt, a guy kept threatening me but I had been armed and derailing his attempts, but he'd say things like I'll catch you someday without a gun and then we'll talk. One of the cops that responded told me I needed to start open carrying so this guy couldn't catch me away from home without a gun.

One of my friends said no way when I told him it was legal for me to open carry, and he bet me I couldn't get away with walking around town, so we did. We have two cops walking up and down Main Street in Placerville, so I stopped to talk to one of them and told him my friend didn't think what I was doing was legal. I had to turn sideways so he could see the gun as it was low key at the 5:00 kidney position, he asked was it unloaded and I told him of course. He proceeded to tell my friend that it was legal with the unloaded provision, keep a mag handy and you are good to go.

So when the Starbucks cowboys started making headlines by carrying their Glocks as conspicuously as possible in places like Sausalito, liberal strongholds to be sure, I said that they were drawing unnecessary attention to something most people weren't aware you could even do. They were making it worse by refusing to show ID when asked by cops to see some.

All a cop is trying to do when they check out a call of a guy with a gun is to gauge what type of guy is this and what's he up to. When a guy says I know my constitutional rights and I don't have to show you ID it is adding another fight to the open carry and compounding the problem. The guy who's open carrying who says sure, no problem, here you go sees the cop glance at the license, hand it back, and ask what's up. When you explain that you are exercising your right to open carry the response is, okay, have a nice day and be careful.

So sure enough in San Diego, breeding ground for influential politicians, we have a young guy on the boardwalk who gets called in "man with a gun". Cop asks can he see some ID and our freedom fighter says I'm not required to show you any ID, no. The cop says you can show it to me here or we can go to the station, so off they go to the station. They get there, the cop runs down the situation to his supervisor who says cut him loose, he's legal.

Our cowboy gets an attorney and gets a $50k settlement for his pain and suffering. City or county says to heck with this and the hometown state politician drafts an end to open carry, which was soundly passed.

Bottom line is that no matter how wrong this is, it was those who felt they had to use a right or lose it that caused it to be lost. Had they not exercised it for the heck of it we'd still have open carry on the books.

Meanwhile me who actually used it to protect against a known threat, can't do so anymore. When I did open carry nobody ever noticed I had a gun because my intent was not to be as conspicuous as possible, but to be as unnoticeable as possible. Rights don't have to be in your face to make any point, and trying to do so may just bring unwanted attention to a right you already have.

I'm in one of the easiest counties in this state to get a concealed permit, so that takes care of that.

Back