thermal scopes from China ?

Alan D

Ok looking for a thermal scope for hog hunting. Why are they so high priced? Are they importing them from china and marking the price way up ? It seems everyone is so secret on there pricing . I was like when they first came out with night vision the prices were crazy high. now they are not that high priced for a good scope for hunting. I see where they are some from china if you want to deal with Yingtang cheechang Meeechang if you now what I am talking about. Whats the deal?

FLIR equipment is 100% Made in the USA, none of FLIR equipment is made in China.

Don't think it is legal to import any sort of thermal weapon sighting device, unless possibly if it is only 7Hz and not designed or adaptable to firearm use.

If you are importing Thermal Weapon sights from China you may have a USA Federal cold cell with steel bars surrounding you in your near future.
ohmy.gif

well it looks like I will just do the rental thing for a weekend of fun hog hunting. Just have watch the weather and pick a good weekend. Thermal scopes seem to used by guide services for hog hunting all over the US . there hunts are not cheap but they stay busy.

There is an outfit in Texas that rents out thermals for days or weeks at a time to try out for hunting, I don't have the URL for them but they sounded like a quality company, might want to check that out. Of course, many hog hunting outfitters have thermals too.

Thanks! I will check them out . Hogs have not been moving real good lately we need some moisture really bad around here . That really makes them start moving. Mark

As a Canadian we can legally bring in thermal sights from all over the place.

Let me be clear: everything I've seen sucks compared to FLIR They literally invented the technology back when they started using it in Vietnam

P.S. The other good way to get a FLIR unit up and running is to have a few guys go in on one. I've seen a few paintball and airsoft teams do this. Most of my hunting buddies all want their own though :p

Last edited:
Trying to save for a FLIR myself if life would quit taking my slush fund. Anybody using the refurbed PS-24 units. I saw some for $1699 versus the $1999 new price. Wondering if it is worth trying to save the extra $300 and going refurb.

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYTrying to save for a FLIR myself if life would quit taking my slush fund. Anybody using the refurbed PS-24 units. I saw some for $1699 versus the $1999 new price. Wondering if it is worth trying to save the extra $300 and going refurb.

Try to save up and get the PS 32. The higher resolution and 2x zoom are worth the price difference at this level IMO.

The big jump in price is with the LS series. Now you are talking almost double the price for the higher refresh and another increase zoom and resolution. Is is TWICE as effective for scanning for dogs/hogs?

Unless you are law enforcement/military it seems to be money wasted......

Last edited:
I've got an EMX MKII scope if you're interested I can send you some info. I bought a new unit so this one is up for sale.

Shoot me a PM or email

ATN ThOR scopes are 100% made in America. The thermal detectors are made by FLIR government systems, and the housing and body are all manufactured in California. The glass is the same glass used on heat seeking missiles. Some of the ATN starlight night vision is made in the far east including china but not the thermal. There is obviously a distinct difference in the quality of those units and American made units.

Back