NEW Shotgun Pattern Test Results - Detail & Pic' heavy...

Originally Posted By: mac805Rich, What do you consider to be an acceptable pattern for #4 buck? With a taller bead and a slight change in my sight picture, I was able to bring the pattern down right where I want it.

Measured with my calipers the Carlson's choke is 0.665". I have a factory Remington extended super full which measures 0.675" and the factory flush full choke is 0.690". After multiple shots with each, the Carlson's was the most consistent and tightest pattern.

With eight shots for this load/choke combo I am averaging right at 10 pellets in a 9" circle at an honest 40 yards (first 4 shots adjusted for high POI).
--------------------------------
I need to apologize to you sir. I missed the portion of your above statement regarding your "Dead coyote" choke measuring .665. That is too tight for #4 Buck. My biggest gripe with Carlson is that they either sell you a choke that is too tight, or not tight enough. I think that your existing extended tube that you mentioned was .675 would be better. Now I do think that if you call Carlson's and tell them about your problem, they will swap you a new tube of around .675 I.D.

mac805 is shooting the No. Four Buck with .065" constriction from his Remington bore. If he is using a 3 ½” load then I would agree that is too much constriction. However, just for comparison my Benelli’s like .063” constriction for digesting a 3” No. Four Buck load. That is a .660” choke for the Benelli bore and I also tried .665”, .670” and .680” Kick’s chokes with the result the tightest choke shot best of the bunch. Again that is a 3” load and so is a bit less crowded when it hits the forcing cone and the choke so that does make a difference. I lost what length shell he was patterning?

Originally Posted By: GLA.ORHas anybody else tried the Kicks L or H chokes in their shotguns. I had thought about trying an L choke for my super nova but after seeing the patterns that sixohgto got I'm not too impressed. I have a few boxes of dead coyote left that I get good patterns out of with the DC choke and at least as good with 4 buck as what I saw there so I will stay with that. I guess there never will be a choke tube that works as well as advertised. I sure dont get 70 yard patterns that I would try on a coyote with the DC choke, even with the DC T loads.

i think i posted this here before but here goes. these were with a kicks howler H out of a mossberg 935 with 3.5" winchester #4 buck, note that point of impact is off, i just fixed that with a new burris fast fireIII holographic red dot
1st one at 30yds
2012-02-03_15-06-54_514.jpg

next pic is @ 50yds same gun/load.....id say anything isnt gonna farwell 50 yds or under
2012-02-03_15-07-25_522.jpg

Hows that #1 buck on fur? Im wanting to keep my furs and am trying to find a good mix between tight patterns and fur friendly! I have a Remington 870 Express Super Mag, I have a Truglo Choke on there now from turkey hunting that a .665". I have yet to do any pattern testing.

Originally Posted By: GCFour Buck or BB/T-size shot is the sweet spot...

Ill have to try some of those options out. Where are you located in Mo, GC? I live around KC, but own property in Crosstimbers

Originally Posted By: GCmac805 is shooting the No. Four Buck with .065" constriction from his Remington bore. If he is using a 3 ½” load then I would agree that is too much constriction. However, just for comparison my Benelli’s like .063” constriction for digesting a 3” No. Four Buck load. That is a .660” choke for the Benelli bore and I also tried .665”, .670” and .680” Kick’s chokes with the result the tightest choke shot best of the bunch. Again that is a 3” load and so is a bit less crowded when it hits the forcing cone and the choke so that does make a difference. I lost what length shell he was patterning?
-------------------------
GC,
I would appreciate seeing a photo of 40 and 50 yard patterns that you are getting with .063 of constriction. I have been ill with severe bronchitis, and unable to work on calls, so I took some time to look back at results I got with a Kicks .690. I have a .680 attached to my Beretta Extrema2, and had been telling myself that this was the best choice for my gun. As we both know, no two shotguns are alike in what they prefer and it is always a good idea to try a few different choke tubes in our quest for the best coyote whacking combination. The following two photos woke me up a little.
DSCF13541.jpg

DSCF13551.jpg

deerslyr1,

It is my opinion that the Kicks "HOWLER" tubes are their Kicks "BuckKicker" tubes under a different label. I am thinking that the Howler L is meant for lead pellets, and their H is for Hevi-shot. Your patterns look good except for a high point of impact. The point of impact can be corrected in various ways, so you should be in good shape. I mounted a Burris "speed Bead" on my Beretta, and adjusted the stock to fit my short necked and rather thick body. Now if I can just whip this Bronchitis, maybe I can get this old body moving again.
Good hunting,
Rich

Originally Posted By: GCThanks for posting those pictures. You did a really good job with your patterning and posting those illustrated pictures. Amazing what an extra 5 or 10 yards can do to a pattern, isn't it? Your pictures reveal how finicky shotguns, chokes and various loads can be and how important it is to pattern them to ensure that your pattern is at point of aim and how well it performs at any given range. And how difficult it is to find that often quoted 70+ yard shotgun, choke and load combination. It is also amazing how much difference .010" in a choke can make on a pattern or simply a switch of brand of shell and/or shot size. Honest testing results are interesting stuff...
smile.gif

I would be interesting if the individual pellets could be follow on their flight 'path' all the way out to 50 and 60 yards. I remember throwing knuckle balls that would wobble for a while and then would really fall off in a random path at the end.

Quote: I remember throwing knuckle balls that would wobble for a while and then would really fall off in a random path at the end.
Ah - the old Knuckle ball, I remember them, I could throw it better than the "curve ball".

I have a 12 ga benelli supernova, with Winchester 3inch double ot buck, with the primos jelly head choke tube, I can put all 15 pellets in the 12 inch ring @ 50 yards. With turkey shot winchester 3 1/2 in mags 4 shot out of the same gun and choke combination I have killed 2 turkeys over 60 yards each with only one shot and they never even moved around.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ILYoteHunterI have a 12 ga benelli supernova, with Winchester 3inch double ot buck, with the primos jelly head choke tube, I can put all 15 pellets in the 12 inch ring @ 50 yards. With turkey shot winchester 3 1/2 in mags 4 shot out of the same gun and choke combination I have killed 2 turkeys over 60 yards each with only one shot and they never even moved around.

You get 100% of the pattern consistently in 12" at 50 yards? That is... amazing.
unsure.gif

Originally Posted By: ILYoteHunterI have a 12 ga benelli supernova, with Winchester 3inch double ot buck, with the primos jelly head choke tube, I can put all 15 pellets in the 12 inch ring @ 50 yards. With turkey shot winchester 3 1/2 in mags 4 shot out of the same gun and choke combination I have killed 2 turkeys over 60 yards each with only one shot and they never even moved around. -
------------------------------
Amazing! No photo's?

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: ILYoteHunterI have a 12 ga benelli supernova, with Winchester 3inch double ot buck, with the primos jelly head choke tube, I can put all 15 pellets in the 12 inch ring @ 50 yards. With turkey shot winchester 3 1/2 in mags 4 shot out of the same gun and choke combination I have killed 2 turkeys over 60 yards each with only one shot and they never even moved around.

You get 100% of the pattern consistently in 12" at 50 yards? That is... amazing.
unsure.gif

And the turkeys didn't even move after being shot!

"And the turkeys didn't even move after being shot!"
---------------------------------
That turkey must have been dead already. I have shot the head clean off from a couple of turkeys, and they still flopped around a lot before they quit moving.
lol.gif

Back