Calling Red Fox????

msinc

I have both reds and grays on the land where I live. I have good consistent luck calling in grays but not so much with the reds. I know they are always a little tougher to get and that they will hang up a ways out, but I haven't even seen one hang lately. We probably kill 30 grays to one red on average. When I do kill a red I am really not doing anything different, they just come on in like the grays. I guess it could be a population thing.
I have this absolutley beautiful red right behind my house that just has to be mounted. I see him just about every evening or early morning on my game camera so I know he is hanging around. Anyone got any tips or tricks I should try for reds??? Favorite or most consistent red calling sounds??? Motion decoy or not??? Best time of day or nite?? Any info will be tried and appreciated!!!! Thanks in advance.

Set some traps
smirk.gif
I have the same exact issue here in my area of northeast Pa. Greys are easy to kill but reds almost never, and I mean never respond. I've tried different sounds, volume, length of stand duration, etc.
But I know guys in the southern part of Pa that have mostly reds and they come charging right in like the greys do here
confused.gif

I know what you mean...I have had reds bounce across the middle of a 400 yard long mowed field and run right to the call on a full moon night. I have also had grays hang a little and need some coaxing. But not lately. Some nights you would think reds are the dumb ones. They must all be genius now. One other thing...this place does not have hardly any fox hunters. There is probably not 6 or 7 in the entire county. I know all of them and half of them dont ever even kill grays because they just dont know what they are doing. So it's not like the reds are really educated around here, they just wont respond.

What is your calling sequence? I know a lot of guys when calling grays put on a sound and just let it blare and it works for greys. But it's different for reds in areas where there are predominantly greys.Try starting off with lower volume shorter sequences then turning up the volume a bit. They are more wary then grays so don't blast them out. Let them hunt the call. When they hang up use the bulb squeaker or lip squeak

I like a mouth call for Reds. My favorite is an old OLT call. Its about 3" long and has a top plate and bottom plate with a reed between them. You hold it in your teeth so the call is sideways. I guess thats a way to describe it. Its real easy to vary the pitch. I use eratic high pitched sounds with it. Not the Bla Bla Bla sounds some make. Just very eratic. Its real easy to vary the volume as well. By the way, this is a close range call. I set up every couple hundred yards when using it. Don't know if there are any available like it still. The idea though is high pitch, eratic and taper the volume at the end of the sequence. Just picture some poor critter getting the crap beat out of him and getting weaker as time goes on. I always end with this call even if using my Fox Pro. The Red that sits and just watches will often come in with this call. I think the Sceery AP6 call is my next choice for Reds. By the way, I worked in Aberdeen for a bit. Reds all over the place!

Back