..:::Yote Gun:::..

Silver Bullet

What do you all use for hunting yotes/fox/bobcats and other Predators or Varmints......

I'm getting my .303 mounted with a bushnell 3-9x40 and that will be my predator/varmint and deer gun...

whats urs???????????????????????????????????????

my "go to" gun is a Savage model 12 22-250 heavy barrel, topped with a tasco 3-16X scope, and finished off with a bsquare bipod. I shoot 55 gr hornady varmint express vmaxs. This thing is a tack driver. I use it when I figure that shots will be long and when I don't plan on moving much, as it is very heavy. My fun gun is a bushmaster .223 AR-15, camoed, and I shoot 55 gr ballistic tips through it. My first coyote (well, my first 5, actually) were shot with a marlin lever action 30-30 amd open sights. I have only killed one coyote with my .223, and I have missed an easy 200 yd shot with my 22-250.
bwb

I have a Remington M700 VS in .308, It has the heavy barrel and H.S. Precision stock, I topped it with Leupold 1 peice base and rings and a Weaver 4-16X42mm scope with a 4" sunshade, finally ordered me a Versa Pod, I like the idea that I can take the bipod off very easily when i dont really need it, I shoot Winchester Supreme 150 grain Ballistic Silvertips, it'll smoke a deer and yote both with the greatest of ease haha.

At this moment it is my Winchester 94AE ranger 30-30. Hopefully soon though it will be my Ruger KM77RFP .223 once I get the appropriate rings as I got a mis match pair, even with the height difference for to allow for the reciever differences, the rear ring it still too short or the front ring is to high. If I actually go out after coyotes before I get my .223 ready and dont want to use my 30-30, I might burrow my dads Colt AR-15.
Matt.

KINGKALLER,
the 22WRM is good enough for yotes then ill use my marlin 882L laminated stock, bushnell 3-9x40,Or i could use my rem mountian rifle laminated stainless,30-06 dont know yet
any suggestions??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
i hope to soon upgrade to a 22-250 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

my long range weapon of choice is my remington mod700 .308, with synthetic stock and matte finish. I have a Nikon buckmaster 3x9 scope on top. This is a real tack, and prarie dog driver. My ranch and go to rifle is my 30. carbine with 90 grain hornady xtp rounds. I have hit all sorts of critters with it including a squirrel at 50 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Backwoodsboy223,Pickle, and Gunnut, how much pelt damage was there when using .30 caliber on coyote? If you can, list bullet weight/type/manufacture, muzzle velocity, and range/bullet placement for the yotes shot. I shoot a Ruger .308win w/3x9x40 vx-II and can duplicate the 30/30 and 30 carbine balistics with it if need be to minimize pelt damage. Have not shot a yote yet, much less with the .308win, and would like to know what to expect with the different loads.

Joe-
I have only shot one coyote with my .308. He was facing me at about 50-60 yards. I put a 150 grain soft point in the center of his chest. It was nasty. Just about split his front quarters completely from his hind quarters. Not very fur friendly. Now, I have hunted with gunnut, and I know that he hanloads. He pushes a 90 grain hollowpoint downrange and it will do justice to a coyote. I shot one with a .223 last year, and he finished it as it was running away with a shot between the shoulder blades. Small entry, no exit. Sweet little round.
bwb

Hunters,

I don't know about you all but I did'nt have alot of money to spend on a good varmit gun. My choice ended up being the NEF 223 with a 3x9x40 bushnell. I allready had the scope and the gun was 220.00. It is a really fun gun to shoot. Being a single shot has not been a bad thing yet. I'll deal with that later. You really can reload fast if you need to. I move alot when hunting predators and this gun is really lite. Just my 2 pennies worth.

backwoodsboy223, your friend gunnut loads a 90gr .30 caliber bullet? is that a 30 carbine bullet loaded in a 308win case? If so, what powder/weight and if he has a chrony, how fast is it going? I kind of figured that softpoint 150's would do something like what you describe. I was thinking of my elk load which is a 180gr. hopefully tougher bullet construction wouldn't open up enough to do that kind of damage on a yote. I did make up a load this afternoon that could be of interest, speer 100gr plinker, seated long, with 5gr of unique. only loaded and shot the one. It went thru 2 2x4's and stuck in the 3rd one. very minimal bullet expansion, and sounds a little quieter than a 22lr. Will have to load up some more and head to the range with the chrony and targets and see how it does.

Joe-
I'll talk to gunnut today and either have him give you all the details or I will relay them to you.
If I had one gun to choose to hunt everything smaller than elk with, it would be my .308. That load that you are tinkering with sounds really cool. Keep me posted on how that comes out.
bwb

hey all that is a 30 carbine round as you suspected but i shoot it out of a carbine. No 308 case. I chronied it at around 2000 which is higher than the standard 1990

backwoodsboy223, don't think you have to have a magnum for elk. I shot a six point bull elk with my 308win this last season. killed him just as dead as the cow elk I got season before last with a 300 weatherby mag. The first shot killed him, but he didn't realize it, being near to private land, I shot him twice more to break him down fast. Time for all three shots was around 6 seconds, range was just under 200yds. All three shots landed EXACTLY where I wanted them to go, and since I practice with that gun alot, it seemed I just thought where I wanted to hit him, and before I could think about trigger squeeze or lead or anything else, the bullet was there. Gunnut, which bullet do you use for your .30 carbine {manufacturer/HP,SP ect.}, and how fur freindly is it? If it weighs 90 grains, I can duplicate that velocity with my 308win.

backwoodsboy223, finally got to do some more work on those reduced 308win loads. both loads use the sierra 110 varmiter. the fist one uses 26? grains of IMR 4198 for 2200fps and that one is in the speer manual so double check that powder charge as I can't remember exactly. The other one uses 5 grains of unique for 750-800 fps. even with a spread of 50fps I was still getting 1" groups at 25 yds, so it has more than enough accuracy for what I made it for, and it sounds maybe a tad louder than a 22LR. Have fun!

Joe- That is really great!!! I need to bug my friend who reloads to let me play with some loads. That sounds like you have a winner there. I take it you haven't shot a live critter with that yet? When you do I would love to hear how it performs. Thanks Joe.
bwb

backwoodsboy223, I haven't shot anything yet with that load. For some reason I am having accuracy problems with my rifle at the moment, sometime between now and elk season something happened that turned my rifle's accuracy from sub MOA to groups of 2.5" @ 100yds. Hope to have it fixed soon and then will go get something and get back to you.

Back