Are coyotes a danger to my dogs?

thats kind of a loaded question. i allready had the answer so i wont take your money. lol. here is one we stumbled upon 2yrs ago 2 dogs a 21lb lakeland terrier and a 16lb patterdale terrier we were actually coon hunting and the dogs caught this old boy. the lakeland had it by the throat and the patt had him inside the inner thigh. by the time we waded into the fracas it was close to being over. the lakeland had him pinched down to his last breath. i realize this is a isolated incident as your 47lb yote female but the tenacity of 2 terriers was to muchfor this one.
huntingnov292008withjess013.jpg

I suspected it was LOL! Your throat dog is a keeper! Some dogs just don't catch on. Other's & they are few. Learn & adapt to throat holds quickly or naturally.

Most of of our sighthounds were not throat dogs. Except a couple. The other's got a face full of ivory for their efforts.

Another wk or so, I'll be after the coyotes. Run coyote...run
wink.gif

I can't speak for other peoples dogs or all the yotes in the world, but I can say that yotes around here are not really concerned much about dogs. For years working graveyard patrol it wasn't uncommon to find several yotes running together in the residential areas and often they had just munched on dog ... large and small.

I have 4 dogs on this place and the one seen in the picture below is an 80 pound Rot cross ... the yote is obviously cautious, but was watching me more then the dog . I snapped the picture and then sent 3 9mm rounds screaming down on that yote ... didn't hit him, but sure tried.

I have them around my fence line nearly every night.

yote-1.jpg

Last edited:
I think the difference is simply, our dogs get fed by us, and most don't have to work to hard. (most) Yotes have to work everyday to kill something, and of course have to be good at it or they die of starvation.

If it is humans you put up a MMA guy that fights everyday vs a guy 25% bigger but never fights, usually the MMA guy is going to kick his butt.

Practice and technique usually will prevail. Help your dogs out, bring them in or protect them by keeping the yotes away from them.

I seriously doubt a pack of yotes could take a pack of wild dogs, nor would they try. (having seen both in action) But thats subjective!

I've just got to ask after reading all the above comments. Why are folks having such difficulty in deciding what to do about yotes that show up at your property or house. Like Omnivore said, yotes have to hunt for their food daily and are, after all, WILD ANIMALS! They ain't stupid or they'd starve. Once they found your place, they don't forget unless you convince them they are not welcome OR you TERMINATE THEM on the spot. I ain't bloodthursty but my dogs comes first and the heck with the yotes. Step one if its a loner - 12 Gauge blast to convince them not to come back. If more than one yote, go to step two. If that hasn't faze it, step 2 - .308 hollow point well place between it's eyes. Step three, reload and clean up the mess. Gish!

i know of several border collies that were lured away from the ranch house killed and eaten.
keep them in the yard with a pen or chain.

cmiddleton, you are NOT the worst speller!

What are the chances of finding a 'yote den? Some say it's nearly impossible to find and that the den can be quite far from where the coyotes are hunting.

Originally Posted By: cmiddleton i know of several border collies that were lured away from the ranch house killed and eaten.
keep them in the yard with a pen or chain.

If you've got them on a chain, you better be close by to render aid. Otherwise you'll come back to find a chained up pet carcass.

Please excuse me for resurrecting an old thread. I just became a new member here after I goggled this thread. My only bad experience with coyotes so far is that they ate a bunch pears last year from my trees. I am planning to soon raised some free range chickens and I am deciding on what type of dog I want and the ability to fight coyotes and survive is a must. I am going to go back to our colonial roots for the traditional farm mastiff of the southern US which are locally called white english bulldogs. They are now extinct in an unmixed state in my part of florida and just about everywhere else. I know of a few people that are trying to restore this breed. It is preferred to the American bulldog (originated in the 1950's from the white english)since they are more easily called off. Their jaws can also open to about 90 degress and they have long front teeth. Tell them to stop and no matter what they will. If your dogs are intended to fight packs not only the ears but the tail needs to docked to help prevent the coyotes from stretching them out while the rest of the pack shreds them. It is clear from reading this that one dog is not enough. The discussion was most interesting.
I also plan to employ night vision, laser sighted guns, electronic animal calls from my front porch, shoot out of the windows and anything else that will work. I am not in this for sport.

you know how hard it is to find anything around here that isn't a pit, or a lapdog, or a lab. Nearly impossible. no real hunting dog pups for sale aside from mutts/labs.

I worry sometimes about my parents lab, shes 85lbs of muscle but doesn't know how to fight. She sure can run though so hopefully she'd make it back to the house.

Last edited:
I use to have a 140 Lb German rottie and my 45 lb basset hound they would run the field behind my place. the hound would run the coyote to the grss edge where the Rottie would take over i have found 4 coyotes one week on my deck as Gifts.

i wish tony tebbe would wade in on this one. i have a 82lb pit, male. and he is nasty. out of some of the bestcatch dogs, in the country. winegarner hughzee,and watchdog. he trains every day and is all muscle. i have my own thoughts on this. but being new i will keep them to myself. sure would be intresting to hear tonys thoughts

It is only a matter of time before the coyotes get brave enough to come into the yard and go after your dogs. Talked to a rancher just last week who one night earlier this year heard a loud banging on his front door. He comes downstairs to find a pair of coyotes on top of his heeler that was pinned against the front door. Pretty safe to say that if the rancher wouldn't have been home it would have been a dead dog. A few years back two dogs went missing from a farmstead and others were missing from nearby farms. I believe they found remains of some of the dogs and figured it was coyotes that had done it. Gov't hunter ended up coming in and flying the area and shooting 12 coyotes within a square mile from where the dogs went missing. Long story short, if there is enough coyotes and they have it out for dogs, they will get the dogs.

We lost the family yappy dog to yotes earlier in the year. Our other dogs are smart enough to stay close to the house but it is easy for them to wander off just a little too far...

Back