What is your favorite firearm?

RedneckMatt270

What is your favorite firearm of yours? Mine at the moment is between my Winchester 30-30 and my Mossberg 500 20ga. I have taken a few sparrows with my 20ga and one quail but nothing with my 30-30 yet, I lean mostly on my 20ga.
Matt.

I can't really say there is one favorite. The ones I have that nobody could get from me belonged to my little brother who had to leave early. They are a Rem .22 pump, Ruger M77 .270 & a 20ga Rem 1100 & Ruger .22 MKI pistol. I really like my Pre 64 M70 FWT's, Parker 16ga and Win M21 20ga, & L.C. Smith 20ga two bbl set.

I can't say:-( I have a few that are not in the race, that I've bought just to have, and shoot a few times, but I have some whose val;ue are immeasurable!! I have a couple from my grandfather that I wouldn't take hardly anything for! I have a couple from my dad, and one he bought me for graduation is my most expensive gun! And then I have my MKII .22 that I take EVERYtime I go hunting, regardless of for what, and usually take it fishing/hiking/camping/boating as well. For use-purposes I like that lil .22 best, but for irreplacable, all time greatest, it'd have to be the guns I got from my grandpa and dad:)

I agree the one's from Gramp's and Dad's are the one's to be cherised forever and hopefully passed on to the next generation as well.

Oh yea, my favorites are my Win. mod 100, .284 that I got from my Dad. It was my first rifle of my very own and also a 30-06 I got from my Uncle. It is a Sears&Roebucks mod. 51-L. It has a Husqvarna action and the wood and barrel are from Hi-Standard and I think it is very light and very cool.

hi i am 15 and only started hunting 3 years ago. i have a 16 ga single shot(dont know what brand but its old, my dad used it when he was 12 and up and hes 43 now) a 20ga pump action model 1300 winchester. a marlin semi-auto .22 and .22 revolver pistol. i am on my way to getting either a .30-06, .270 or .308. i was weondering how much recoild each has. im only going to use them for kansas whitetails and smaller game. but will use for elk or lareger in about 7 years. any help woul dbe awesome

.308 has very mild recoil, 30-06, can't help you on that, a .270, whoa, I am 13 now and too me it has alot of recoil. My Savage 110 is in .270 and weighs maybe I am guessing, about 6-8pnds and kicks like a cow(haven't gotten the chance to get kicked by a mule.) Hope this helps.
Matt.

On paper the 270 kicks a bit less than a 30-06. My shoulder can't tell the difference. The 270 was made by necking a 30-06 case down to 0.277 inches. It holds the same amount of powder. Bullet weights are typically lighter than typical 30-06 weights, but they do overlap and even so are close enough to ignore from a recoil perspective.

The 308 is a short action round designed to approximate the 30-06 performance and with 150 gr bullets it does. The 06 has better performance with heavier bullets due to its larger case capacity. The 308's recoil is not bad, but different than an 06, as it typically is loaded with a different burning rate of powder. Best I can describe it is that to me the recoil feels somewhat sharper than an 06.

The stock design of the rifle will have more of a noticable effect on recoil to you than which of those 3 calibers you pick. If possible, try to shoot a variety of different rifles to see which ones you like best, regardless of caliber. Look for a stock with a straight comb and little drop, meaning the stock comes straight back from the grip without dropping down very much. This lets the rifle recoil straight back, rather than pivoting up and smacking you in the cheek.

My favorite gun would have to be my remington model 760 in 6mm, followed by my winchester model 72 .22LR, then my SKB 900xl 20 guage.

In my opinion the .308 is a shoulder friendly gun. But when i shoot my dads 30-06 i seem to get knocked around a lot, maybe its just me. I dont know abou the .270 because i ve never shot one.

hey im from illinois, im 18, my favorite out of the 10 guns that i have has to b my M16/AR-15 with the 30 round clip and scope that i have for it. its a coyote killin machine, its the exact model the military uses, a nice weapon. my second favorite gun i have would have to b my mossberg 500 military special purpose shotgun. i use that for deer hunt since we use shotguns in illinois. those are my two favorite weapons of choice that i own.

Robert, a .308 will not bite you.

Hey Matt, recognize me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My favorite rifle is my Winchester Pre '64 Model 70 rechambered for 7mmSTW followed closely by my new Lazzeroni/Sako TRG-S chambered for 7.82 Warbird (long mag).

Originally posted by Robert Dutton:
[qb]hi i am 15 and only started hunting 3 years ago. i have a 16 ga single shot(dont know what brand but its old, my dad used it when he was 12 and up and hes 43 now) a 20ga pump action model 1300 winchester. a marlin semi-auto .22 and .22 revolver pistol. i am on my way to getting either a .30-06, .270 or .308. i was weondering how much recoild each has. im only going to use them for kansas whitetails and smaller game. but will use for elk or lareger in about 7 years. any help woul dbe awesome[/qb]
Hi Robert,
The .308 would probably be your best choice of the three. The 06 and .270 both have a kick and I don't like either one and there is not much difference in felt recoil to me. In the .308, if you reload, you can make it do what ever you want. If you buy light loads, say Hornady 110gr. TAP, it will be very mild and have plenty of power for what you want to shoot. Later, you can step up to heavier loads when you need them. Great all around rifle with plenty of factory loads for you to choose from. Reloading is the key and it is great fun when you can work up a load and take something with it.

I couldn't resist adding my two cents to this board. My favorite gun is my Browning A-5, by far, however, since it is in emacualate condition and a serial number of 10X0 i don't shot it. My favorite gun to shoot would either be my Remington 7600 carbine in 30-06 matched with a 3x9 Bushnell, or my Ruger M77 in 220 Swift topped with a 4x12 Simmons.

Well I like my Ruger mk11 ( 223 & 270) but the gun that just lights me up is my kimber 45 auto
in brush country when you need fast and true it is the ticket and on the range the patterns you can paint with it are unreal... :eek:

I love my SkS45 I am accurate, fast, And comfortable with it.. it's a nice gun for the thick woodlands in missouri, Don't really need a gun that can hit above 200 yrds out here.. something that'll thump them close / And i use it for my deer too. but I would have to say That I'm equally in love with my 10/22 it's a beauty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back