What Do You think?

Derag2,
Maybe he isn,t responsible enough to carry a gun, but he still can't carry one and he has a wad of coyotes to get rid of to save money.

Okay this forum is getting about as pointless as it gets. No matter what we say the kid is still going to go around running things over. So So/Cal i think you can close down this topic, I am getting a headache from trying to beat the info into this kid.

------------------
" DON'T ruin a good deer by running your mouth "

I finaly agree with you. I am not going to convince you your wrong, and you are not going to make me think im wrong. so I'm fed up with trying so im not going to mess with it any more

We are all judged by how well we spell and write, whether were young or old.

If your real bad in spelling or grammer then your teacher and parents didn't do their job. If they did and your still not with it, you need a kick in the butt to motivate you.

But your not a bad person because you can't spell or write that well. Probably won't get a decide job or be able to advance if you don't communicate well in writing and in your verbal expression.

As far as chasing coyotes on ATV's. Well if their destroying your livestock on a daily basis and it's effecting your income and life, then do whatever it takes.

If your chasin coyotes just because you can and you think that's neat, I don't. Out where I live it would be very difficult to chase one on an ATV and very dangerous even for motorcycles.

Further more if you get that critter cornered and he has a chance to bite, they will, just like a scared and injured domestic dog. NO THANKS, not worth it.

I've shot a few yotes that were still alive and when I walked up to put them down, they growled and would of bitten me for sure.

If I can't call them into my stand or catch them runnin the trails, then they live another day. Fair is fair. My part in this sport is to bring them to me or catch them off guard, not to kill them by any means I can. But I would declare war on them if they hurt anything near and dear to me or was killing my livestock.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it....

[This message has been edited by Dogboy (edited 02-22-2002).]

Guys, you just had a GREAT "discussion". Not an argument. Nobody HAS to convince the other to change. You exchanged information. You got to say what you feel. If one person changes his mind because you gave him new insight, great. But if not, that's OK too.

There's not supposed to be a winner and a loser in a discussion. Everybody is a winner because you've had a chance to see the other person's point of view. It doesn't say you HAVE to agree with it. If you do, it OK. If you don't, it's OK. That's called a discussion.

Now that you two have had the chance to get to know each other, you probably have a lot more things to talk about.

Rock On!

[This message has been edited by NASA (edited 02-22-2002).]

im just glad its over and everyone is still friends. I personally feel that if i cant call the yote or fox in to my call then i dont want to shoot it. If i walked up on one just standing in a feild i would let him go or try to call him in. That is just how i feel cause there areant that many of them around here and i feel that it is only worth shooting them if they are called, but thats just my opinion.

------------------
have fun and shoot straight
brad

sorry to step in here and maybe I shouldn't but I feel that a point needs to be made.
Has anyone tried to contact this boy and try to explain to him that although what he is doing might be in the best interest of the ranch he works on. but what he is doing does not need to be slapped all over the internet so that everyone can see!
just my $.02 worth but if you feel so strongly about this maybe it should be done and I feel that coming from a young hunters point he would understand more about what he is doing and maybe change his ways and if done in the right manner maybe you could convert him to another way of killing yotes.
Also flaming another hunter on this forum does nobody any good so please reread what you are posting and put yourself in the others position and if it would offend you try to find another way to get your point across without hurting someoneelse's feelings
thank you
renegade

Renegade is right on this one. Lets quit acting like babies.

There ranchers out there that will go to extreme levels to rid their property of coyotes. In my area, for example, their are many people (ranchers included) who chase coyotes down with snow machines.

I would tend to agree on this being an unethical practice, but putting an end to it via internet mud-slinging is a bit far fetched. No matter what kind of grime you fling at those who participate in or defend such events, they probably won't stop.

All I ask is that you keep it to yourselves. The antis are like vultures when it comes to things like this. By putting up posts describing such "techniques", our hunting rites are put in jeapardy. It wouldn't be fair for the great sport of predator calling to be ruined by something so elementary.

I have followed the bombardment of posts over the past few days, and we have all thouroughly pulverized the subject. I have come to the conclusion that the question of ethics is not something any one person will be able to answer. With that, I think it's finally time to say...

THE END

Lets get on with our lives already.

rojo

I ain't gonna say s**t about whether it's right or wrong to flatten dogs w/ a quad.

I do believe that individuals are judged tremendously on their spelling. On the job if I get a resume that exhibits poor grammar or spelling, I pitch it. I view people with poor english skills as being either incompetent or lazy. I have no need for those people on the job.

Considering that the internet is not a job resume y'all can write however y'all want. If someone has a problem w/ that than it's their problem. MY OPINION!

If my opinion pisses you off feel free to take out your frustration on a coyote using whatever means you have available.

This is a great topic. It's intresting to see the diversity in beliefs and what some consider ethics. First of all. As far as I am concerned.....how well you can spell has nothing to do with common sense. In my book it is the man with a clue that I tend to favor. Not the man with no clue and perfect spelling.
I grew up on a small ranch in Montana. Coyotes were our #1 enemy. I must admit that some of our method's of controling coyotes were questionable by todays code of ethics...according to some who have never seen their parents in despair at the loss of another calf. What some of you may not realize is that our tax dollars go to pay for the damage that the coyote causes. Today I hunt coyotes as recreation and doing my part to help control their populations, but there was a time that I hunted coyotes as an occupation with the USDA Animal damage control. For 5 years I worked Aerial depredation (helicopters) at times shooting over 100 coyotes a day in certain areas and in 2 or 3 months come back and do it again. Gassing pups in the den.....had to do that, too. Not very sporting I know, but it is a fact of life. I was raised to kill predators with any any means available to you. The loss of a half a dozen calves over the year for some small ranchers could have meant financial ruin. Those who are weekend hunters and have never known the hardships of ranch life should not be so quick to judge others for any method you may use to protect your assets. Put yourself in their shoes and try to picture a look of despair on your fathers face as he discovers another newborn calf thats been ripped to pieces by coyotes or domestic dogs. I can still remember like it happened yesterday a time when I went to the calving pen with my father when I was about 7 years old and watched him draw a bead on a pair of coyotes with his old 250-3000 as the coyotes tore at a calf that was still being delivered by the cow. I hated coyotes with a passion and made them pay for taking food off our table by making a living killing them. I have a very deep respect for coyotes today. I believe that they have their place and no longer want to remove every last one from the earth. I have since had the priviledge of once again working with our government (USFW) not killing them but assisting in the planting of the wolves in Yellowstone and some other programs to propagate the growth of coyotes in Colorado. The government is ensuring that we have populations of predators to hunt....guess they are trying to keep everybody happy. Introduce predators to strengthen and create populations (keeps the bunny huggers happy)and on the other hand spend millions of dollars to depredate them when they get out of control and kill livestock. All of which our tax dollars pay for. I have several times heard the coyote refered to as a "game animal". There is not one state other than maybe California that really refers to the Coyote as a game animal that I know of. Most often they are refered to as a furbearing predator or just a predator. Normally no formal seasons or bag limits are imposed. So this takes them off the "game" list and puts them on the "non-game" species list. In Arizona they are considered small game, so you have to have a small game license. That puts them right up there with jack rabbits and prairie dogs. To alot of states the coyote is nothing more than a furball coughing, bushy tailed over grown rat with sharp teeth that will eat anything dead,with in its power to overcome( lately they are taking a liking to small beings with sneakers)or anything that could even slightly considered food and rates about as high as a packrat for being any kind of a game animal. It is true that we need to be more politically correct and realize that we can no longer go around speaking our minds or conversing in public about anything that may be offensive to any one group or community of people for fear of legal reprecussion and trouble. In Montana we used to have this thing called the "3 S's" SHOOT, SHOVEL and SHUTUP! Some of you folks look at predator calling as a sport, for me it's a game between me and the Coyote(he is still winning for the most part), for the kid on the the ATV it's probably a way of life. There is no such thing as ethics when Mr. Coyote threatens your livelyhood. We like to preach ethics, but just out of curiosity. How many of you hunt with a reasonable caliber of cartridge to try to minimize pelt damage? How many of you kill and leave it to rot? In my code of ethics you attemp to make use of everything you kill. You respect what mother nature has given you. There is always something that you can use from that animal even if you have destroyed the pelt. I have a friend that makes necklaces from the bones in a coyotes foot. Flesh and clean the skull.
When I take an animal I even say a little prayer and thank the Creator for the gift. Contempt before investigation can leave you looking to be the fool, or, "Don't judge a man till you have walked a mile in his moccasins" Later Jeff

[This message has been edited by Hornetfan (edited 02-26-2002).]

Why are you getting on to the youth? I've seen plenty of moderators and older members that have plenty of punctuation, grammatical, and spelling errors. And can we leave the kid alone already? i know how much damage the little sob's can do, i've seen my family run over yotes with tractors, not because it was fun, but because it has to be done. He was not right broadcasting it like he did, or calling it "so much fun", but lets lay off already on the spelling and and the atv incident. Just leave us alone, because it is not helping to nag about it AT ALL. im coming back to edit this. Finally i guess this whole thing is over with.

[This message has been edited by browning ryan (edited 03-02-2002).]

Back