What Do You think?

Bob/SoCal

I'd like to get your opinion on 2 posts. Theres been a lot of discussion on the Predator forum and the Members forum on the state of our youth. You have 1 gentleman that hunts coyotes from a 4x4, or ATV (chasing I believe)..I can't quite remember, and then we have some or our older members concerned that our youth haven't paid attention in English class. Does this bother you?

1. I understand the young gentleman that chases coyotes on an ATV or 4x4 lives on a ranch. My own youth was spent on a ranch also and I know that coyotes are an animal that is quite adept at taking food off the table, so we need to look at why someones respect for an animal may differ from one that hunts on weekends. Does that make sense? If you're livelyhood depended on getting rid of a pest, no matter what it might be, at what length would you go. Put yourself in the shoes of the breadwinner of the family.

2. Spelling and grammar. Now, I for one am going to admit that at a young age I couldn't spell worth squat. Then came the military and report writing and I finally got it. I didn't spend much time paying attention in English class, I'm being honest here. I was much more interested in my car, my girlfriend and whether or not I was going to be able to go out on Friday night. I paid for that kind of thinking later, but what the heck, we all learn right? Do you think one should be judged on how they spell? Do you think that folks that lack in the spelling area are dumber than those who can? Do you think that once you reach an age where you'll need to find a job and interview with prospective employers that spelling and grammar will be important? Let's have a little discussion shall we? Let's not slam or as my daughter says "diss" others in the discussion, let's just see what ya'll think. It'll be interesting to hear some opinions.

Thanks,
Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob/SoCal (edited 02-21-2002).]

Here's a quick comment from another "old guy". Above is a statement "Do you think one SHOULD be judged on how they spell?" I think most people would have the same answer for that question. Maybe it should have asked "Do you think people ARE judged on how they spell?" The perceptions might come out a little differently. Bye.

I think that hunting is hunting and however you are going to hunt it should be okay.
I have bean folowing the fourwheeler/cyotes topic for the last few days and I think he is hunting just like the rest of us just in a diferent way and it is not unethical at all.
I also don,t think any one should be judged on there spelling eather.

Well I have posted on the topic as part of the youth. And so you can go read over there on how i feel about it. But hunting in not hunting. I feel theres Ethical and non ethical types of hunting and i think running somthing over is not hunting at all. It takes no skill to run somthing down. YOu don't gotta practice your shooting and you don't gotta be quiet and sneaky to get close you just give it more gas.

------------------
" DON'T ruin a good deer by running your mouth "

On the 4 wheeler issue i just want to say that whoever supports this is not a hunter. It takes skill to kill an animal the right way and not by running them over. I think whoever is doing this should lose their hunting rights. thats just how i feel.

------------------
have fun and shoot straight
brad

The way I see things it may be easier but it is still hunting. And besides hes only ever had one coyote that didnt die instantly and that was a large mail. Plus he is trying to save money for his ranch cuz cattle are expancive and the coyotes are cilling them.

Coyotebuster,
You have no buissenes telling people if they are a hunter or not. People don,t have to agree with what you think to be a hunter.

All of you are making good points. But lets refrain from giving body shots to the other guys
biggrin.gif
. We've all been brought up one way or the other, unfortunately our parents didn't have a textbook that featured proper hunting etiquette as a course study
smile.gif
. It's your responsibility, at least in my belief, to teach each other and learn from each other. We're hammered by the PETA people at every turn, us old farts are hoping that you young guys will take the reins and lead the hunting community into the future while protecting our rights.

I understand the distaste to these kind of hunting practices, but how many of you learn something when people are yelling at you?

We need to set a precedent here in the Youth Forum. Cordial and respectful replies are what we're looking for. If anyone decides to insult or otherwise slap another upside the head for something they post, I'll have to unleash the force..
biggrin.gif
. I don't want to do that. You guys are the future...You have no idea what kind of power you possess, power that can alter the course hunting and gun ownership rights are taking. From what I see, we have some pretty damn intelligent guys here.

Bob

Shane you really need to learn how to spell i couldn't hardly decipher your post. And Running things over with a truck or 4-wheeler is not hunting at all. And also it aint his ranch hes 13. And even if it is for the ranch this kids got guns, ammunition don't cost that much. I am going with coyotebuster on this one anyone who supports this kind of act is not a hunter or hunting.

And this kind of stuff if why PETA is on our butts. If they got ahold of this it would be one more log to add to the fire. And that one male that didn't die would be enough to give hunters a bad name. And Shane don't always beleive what people tell you man.

And to Bob/SoCal there is a written book of hunting, Its cold hunters saftey. They teach us hunting edicate. And the 10 commandments of hunting. They teach us to respect the outdoors and to hunt with the right equipment for the game animal. Maybe I need to send some of you guys a copy of the Hunters saftey book.

------------------

Deraq2, you gotta read my post again. Now, I asked members not to slap each other in this forum. You kinda nailed Shane for his spelling. That's of no consequence here, I could care less how you spell. I'm not your english teacher. I just want everyone to feel comfortable posting thoughts. If you're weak in the spelling arena, I can suggest a course of action. But here in the Youth Forum, we'll just take you as you are.
smile.gif
His post was just fine. I'm all for debate here, but should any member insult or start beating on another for whatever, they're toast. Besides, look at your post and then imagine someone critiquing yours.

Now, your comment directed at me about a book of etiquette. I'm well aware of the numerous publications available to hunters. You took my comment out of context. I'm saying that not EVERY parent is a hunter, not EVERY hunter is schooled in proper hunting safety and procedure. That's where those that are come into play. We as parents usually go by what our parents did for us. Let's say we have a kid whose parents would have trouble distinguishing the boom end of a rifle. So that kid comes here to learn. Let's make this a comfortable learning environment shall we?

[This message has been edited by Bob/SoCal (edited 02-21-2002).]

derag2
If you caould go back and read the text in the other topicks on this subject you would see that his mom does not let him carry a gun. She is very protective.

I am looking to bash no one but I think he knows how to spell Killing. Well I don;t know how anyone can learn if we can't tell them there wrong. If you don't crack down on them they will just keep on doing what they were doing because they know nothing is wrong. And i think most states require a hunting saftey course to be taken at a certain age.

------------------

Do you know this kid Shane cause you sure do know alot about him and his family. Maybe he isn't responsible enough to carry a gun on his own.? My mom don't like me running around with guns but she knows i know what i am doing and my dad and step dad know i won't do anything stupid.

And I am sorry about bashing you about your spelling but its just easier to read when the words are spelled at least close to how it should be spelled. and I am not saying i spell corectly all the time but i get the words as close as i can.

------------------

ok according to certain people this is hunting. Well if this is hunting i guess driving down the road and when a deer runs out in front of you you run it over on porpose is hunting? Well if thats the case this is not the board that i thought it was and may not want to be with certain people that think that is hunting. I won the sauk county huter safety student of the year here in wisconsin. Afterwards i became a junior hunter safety instructor. Ethics is described as doing the right thing and that is hardly what is hapening with the 4 wheelers. I had to write an essay and was picked from the dnr to win this and my essay was on ethics. Yuo guys havent jumped me yet but in a way you are. By promoting this you are giving every hunter a slap in the face and sending up red flags to peta. i guess only a select handful actually cares about the futer of our sport.

Running over a deer that ran out in the road is not hunting. He is having to wait quietly until the coyotes come up and notice all the mice running through the rows then he goes after them. That is not ust chance like a deed running out in the road.

OK SO IF WE SIT BY THE REAL QUITE LIKE THEN SEE A NICE BUCK COME OUT THEN IT IS HUNTING?? what a crock

------------------
have fun and shoot straight
brad

Hey you guy's, Bob is going to end up giving you detention if you don't shake and make up.
biggrin.gif

Debate's are good, but criticizing someone is frowned upon.

Ryan

Back