Need an all around .243 bullet

d2admin

Administrator
Looking for a bullet I can use for deer, coyote, and groundhogs.

Shot a Berger VLD for deer. Accurate but poor killing performance.

Shot a Nosler Ballistic Tip. Good killing performance but would probably splash on a coyote.

Various VMAX. Accurate but not a deer bullet.

Somebody help me with a recommendation. Been thinking of the Nosler Partition just overpriced. Help...

I would go with the 85 Sierra HPBT. This was the first bullet I ever bought for my 243 after researching it - and wanted to go with IMR-4350, but nobody had any of that at the time. Since then I've been through a boat load of different bullets and powders, but I am back into testing again now with the 85 Sierra's. Accuracy potential on a first outing with both IMR-4350 and Reloader 19 both, is looking good and I have used this bullet before and know it will perform. I'm at about 45.8 with RL19, maybe 42.2 with IMR-4350, and I had been shooting it with 38.0 of IMR-4064 a few years back... so these and maybe a little hotter should put you in the ballpark. Work up in your own gun.

Another vote for the 85gr Sierra, a great do anything bullet. With that being said, the 95gr Nosler BT is an absolutely outstanding performer on game big and small. It also makes for a good long range pill out of my .243 and a buddies 6mm heavy barreled setup.

Depends on the twist in your rifle. I have a CZ 550 that so far I haven't been able to get the 95 grn VLD to group. It has a 10" twist, Berger recommend a 9" twist for this round and so far I think they are right on. I am trying some Sierra 85 grn hpbt.

I killed deer and yotes this year with 60 gr sierra HP... but your can get better BC with 80's... and the 80-90 gr is probably the best all around size as stated above.

I use to shoot the Nosler 95 grain bt for years. It is a great bullet and easy to find a load that shoots. I shot this bullet for years on deer sized game. I wanted deeper penetration and switched to the Barnes triple shock 85 grainers and absolutely love this bullet. It is more accurate out of this rifle and performs perfectly. I will say that it was sensitive to seating depth and took me a while to find the sweet spot (1-10 twist hart barrel)....and it is not cheap, but it has proven its performance.

I've had great results with nosler 95 bt for big game. I have shot a few coyotes with them as well. They don't leave the coyote pelt in terrible shape but does do some damage all depending on the range. I don't usually save pelts. My new go to all around bullet in 243 is 87gr Berger vld. Tried the 95 vld but didn't group well do to twist. I have also got great accuracy out of 87 v-maxes. My go to powder seems to always end up being imr4350. Good luck!

imo[probably get rashed for this one] if you save pelts then any bullet suitable for deer will pop a coyote open. i dont have much exp. with the 80's bullets but i have a friend thats shoots strictly 75g vmax for deer and coyote, he says both deer and coyote are dead on the spot. personally i shoot 2 diffrent bullets in mine,95g nosler bt for deer and 58g vmax for coyote

I dont know why ur having issues with poor killing performance from the VLD's. Thats what I switched too after shooting 95gn Nosler BT's with not so great killing performance on deer. (mule deer) My nephew has shot 2 muley bucks with the VLD's and both my sisters as well. First deer was my nephew who shot his first buck at 376 yards and it hunched up and walked to 404yards where he hit him again and dropped him like a sack of chit. My sister this year shot another muley at 303 yards and it took 3-4 steps and dropped.

Last edited:
I'm shooting the Berger 87 grain VLD and they are killing extremely well. I have not shot a deer with them but the coyotes are dropping like hammers. What twist barrel, and bullet weight were you shooting?

Originally Posted By: Mxracer532First deer was my nephew who shot his first buck at 376 yards and it hunched up and walked to 404yards where he hit him again and dropped him like a sack of chit.

Sounds like a gut shot, so doubt any bullet would perform better in those cases.

The Barnes TSX or TTSX both are mighty fine boolits

Was shooting Sierra 85 BTHP for a while. Very tight groups, but was a little disapointed when it came to knocking down deer. Shot some Sierra 100 BTSP. Did not have to touch the scope and the deer act like you let air out of them.

Originally Posted By: RadioOriginally Posted By: Mxracer532First deer was my nephew who shot his first buck at 376 yards and it hunched up and walked to 404yards where he hit him again and dropped him like a sack of chit.

Sounds like a gut shot, so doubt any bullet would perform better in those cases.

The Barnes TSX or TTSX both are mighty fine boolits

Actually both shots were within 2inches of eachother right in the boiler room.

Back