Issues with my new knife

Yes it is heat treated and I only put it through one tempering cycle for an hour @ 425 F. I do not know what steel it is. What I was told, a high speed tool steel. My grandfather used to work at 4 slides, and had some steel left over all of these years. It definitely is a carbon steel, but the ratio is unknown to me.

I believe that sharpening angle to be somewhere in the range of 20 degrees.

And you quenched it?

Carbon steel is not known to be brittle. I think the problem lies somewhere in your heat treat process. Is it now non-magnetic? If the grains look really large, then it was overheated somewhere along the line......

I will try to get pics ASAP. I have to get a photobucket account.

I quenched it in motor oil. I can not see the grain prominently. Yes a magnet sticks.

Sounds like it is likely a bit too hard. One thing to consider is if you are using your kitchen oven, the temp may well be waaaaay off. Get a thermometer and put it in the oven to test the temp. It also helps to add something of mass to the oven so the temp is more stable.

If you tempered at an actual 425 for one cycle, I would recommend you do two more one hour cycles at 425 degrees and test the edge again. If it still chips, temper again at 440 and test again. Keep upping the temper until it no longer chips.

If you already glued and pinned the handle, the epoxy most likely isn't going to like 425 degrees in the oven. If it isn't handled yet you are golden.
Good luck.

-Forger

I have the handles on
frown.gif

Could i torch it?

What is the handle material? If the handle material can take the heat, just put it in the oven until the epoxy softens. Then knock the pins out (drill them out if they are peened) and you should be able to remove the scales.
If the above doesn't work, you will have to live with a chipping edge or grind the handle off and then put a handle on once the temper is right.
Pretty much anyone who makes knives has had to remove scales before. I know it sucks, but it happens. Let us know how it goes.

-Forger

Update*** i am heating the blade with a torch and puting an edge on it, then tapping the blade on something i know will hurt the edge. I continually am doing this until the blade is to par. Thus far it is working, but needs improvement

Blade is fixed and i put a cold blue on the metal in a very spotty fashion causing an old gun metal look. Then i stuck the blade in lemon juice to seal the deal. Then i sprayed 3 coats of flat clear coat on the handles and polished them with an auto body scratch remover. I am now making a leather sheath. The knife is really starting to come together.

In making a new knife, the blade of knife is very important. It can be made from different types of material of materials, mostly with carbon steel, stainless steel, tool steel and alloy steel. As well as other material like cobalt and titanium alloys, ceramics, obsidian, and plastic is also use in knife manufacturing.

Last edited:
Back