older leu.2x7 vari-x2 adjustments????

I_missed

this is not a repeat question. it might sound like it but taint.

what is the moa adj. on this older scope? description-2x7 vari-x2. friction. smooth. no click. 0 to 7 on both. has 1/2 tick marks. answers to this question get fuzzy with most answers cuz it always get into acomparison with other leu. scopes like vx2, vx1, etc. and "increments" and "clicks" and 1/4 moa.

QUESTION
if i turn my windage/elevation from zero to 4, did i make a 1" change at 100yds according to
design?
or---if i want to change poi 1" where should i turn it to from dial at zero setting?
u cant mention vari3, vx1, vx2, vd or any other scope. u cant tell me 2 send it in for upgrade and u cant use the word clicks at all. if me see the words "probably", "i think" or "aint sure but..." or "try" i will surely pull my last hair out. thankye, thankye, thankye(gomer pyle)

Last edited:
I know well the exact scope and adjustments your talking about. My brother in law had one of those on a 243 that he wanted me to sight in for him because he couldn't get it done. Indeed they are a pain in the [beeep] for sure. I only managed to get it close shooting 3 and making very small adjustments and shooting again. There seemed to be no correlation between the marks and how much it moved impact down range. It's a good thing he brought me plenty of ammo to work with. Those old friction adjustments suck, on his scope I don't think they were holding zero at all and I believe he has since replaced it.

I don't see your last hair making it long.... Good luck with it.

furhunter i think u may have unknowingly solved/answered my scope frustration/question.
that sucker taint holding zero... because of recoil me speculates!!

u were just being nice and give me a response since i wasnt getting any and you niced me and solved a puzzle all in one.

thank you furhunter

still no one can answer my quorstion?

here it chizz again-- If i move wind or el. dial from zero to 4 did i move poi one inch at a 100yd target?

or

if i want to move poi 1" at 100yds do i turn dial 4 whole numbers on dial or 4 marks?

All adjustments with the friction style turrets are approximate, all you can do is move them and try it. If you play with it for awhile you will see how accurate furhunter's post was.

GOOD INFO. cant believe a grade A company like leupold with an established top reputation would put out a product with the following user manual directions---U figure out how this product works and call us with the info . we are real curious about this un!!

I_missed, for your information I have a 3-9 scope like yours. My scope has always held zero. Whenever I changed ammo I would have to change elevation or windage, the dials work but it is not as precise as the newer scopes. I am sorry I cannot tell how much movement from zero to 4.

I have a couple of older leupold 3x9x50s that has the friction adjustment and like everyone else said its more of an estimate. If you move it from 0 to 4 it is suppose to move 4MOA or 4" at 100. I put one of mine on a new 243 I bought this year and had a heck of a time getting it sighted in. Sometimes I would move it 2MOA and it wouldn't move and other times I would move it 4MOA and it would move 8". I fixed mine by running the adjustments as far as they would go both ways a couple of times. I used a bore sight when I did to watch the cross hairs move and when I got done they moved consistantly with the adjustments. This seemed to have fixed mine dont know if it will yours or not but I would give it a try.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 99javI have a couple of older leupold 3x9x50s that has the friction adjustment and like everyone else said its more of an estimate. If you move it from 0 to 4 it is suppose to move 4MOA or 4" at 100. I put one of mine on a new 243 I bought this year and had a heck of a time getting it sighted in. Sometimes I would move it 2MOA and it wouldn't move and other times I would move it 4MOA and it would move 8". I fixed mine by running the adjustments as far as they would go both ways a couple of times. I used a bore sight when I did to watch the cross hairs move and when I got done they moved consistantly with the adjustments. This seemed to have fixed mine dont know if it will yours or not but I would give it a try.

+1 I do the same thing. I sight at a one inch grid chart. Keeping the laser light at the center of the target.

Back