243 Factory Ammo for Savage Axis

jeremyray25

Was wondering if anyone has any experience with .243 factory ammo out of their savage axis. I just purchased the axis and would like to find out what factory ammo shoots the best. I understand every barrel/gun is different, but was wanting to save a little money if someone could share their experience. I don't reload, so factory ammo is the only way.

So far, I have tried Remington Core Lokt 100gr and Winchester Super X 100gr, both rounds are around 1.75" at 100yds. While this is not bad, I know this can be improved.

Anyone have experience with lighter grains (80, 90, or 95) for their axis? Or have suggestion on other factory loads to try?

I haven't shot factory ammo for a while now. When I did I found that hornady worked best for my gun. rem. Ammo didnt shoot well for me

I researched factory ammo in 243 recently for a buddy (who just bought a Savage). We've already tried 58 V-MAX in his, and as with my Tikka T3 Lite - these shot better than what you are talking about. 3/4" @ 100 or better I'd say.

I also bought him some Black Hills Gold 95 SST's, but we haven't tried those yet. I have also heard great things about the Winchester Silvertips in 95 weight. (BST's I believe those are... $31.99 at Cabela's at last check.) Another 95 that shot well in mine and a different friend's old Rem 700 243 was the "Fusion" ammo, made by Federal. These are much more reasonably priced than most, so if you can get them to work in your gun - they'll kill just fine.

thanks for the recommendations guys. This will hopefully save me some money before I find one that shoots well.

If you have any other experience with ones that work well in axis, please let me know.

mine loved federal powershock 100 grain bullets. 4 shots @ 100 yards and all 4 touching. By far the most accurate a factory load has ever been out of any of my guns and with results like that it made it difficult to switch to reloading.

I havent shot a factory round in over a decade. But ive tried loading corelokts in 2 or 3 calibers and gotten easily the worst grouping with them in every caliber. Junk imo, i cant imagine being so hard up for ammo that i would load them again.

I bought a predator model savage and spent lord knows how much money looking for the perfect bullet. I used to reload way back when but the equipment was alot more primitive and I found it annoyingly tedious.

After about 300 dollars spent striking out.I found a post someplace saying savage listed the the brand,bullet weight and bullet type they us to test them for the 1 MOA guarantee or whatever it is. Sure enough I went and looked and for mine it was a Federal 95 grain ballistic tip and sure enough after some tuning I was shooting dime sized groups.

Kinda sucked in a way because I hadn't planned on shooting that large a bullet

AMMUNITION BULLET WEIGHTS
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE VISIT OUR WEB SITE AT:

www.SAVAGEARMS.COM

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/manuals/manual_centerfire_rifles.pdf

---------------------------------------------------------------

It was late last night I was a bit off on my numbers. Or I found my info from another spot that's the problem with googling stuff and looking at 20 different pages.. at least for me. Sometimes I have trouble finding my way back to the same spot a week or two later.
Just go to to the main page and at the bottom there are manual/literature PDFs for different model guns.

After looking around a some more I found where it said use 95 grain bullets ( posted link) but some models say 70 grain.

One thing I noticed and maybe someone alot smarter than me will say it doesn't matter but stand a 95 grain federal NBT and a 95 grain Hornaday SST side by side on a table and see if you notice anything different between the two. I only bring it up because I was shocked I couldn't get Hornaday's to group very well at all.

I didn't see an Axis PDF but I expect if you have your actual manual it's right in there somewhere in the back. or just look on their site harder I just did a quick look around to do this post.

Good luck hope this helps instead of making it more confusing.

Last edited:
Back