Fur Mo-Van is Killing a Few ........ ...... PICS

Well.. alot has happened in the last week... and wasn't able to get on the internet for any updates.

Spent all sat evening talking to a government hunter trapper guy... which was really interesting.

Next day I traveled SE out of Ks, into Western Ok, and came across this plane crash that happpened three days earlier... pilot was okay and he had landed it on the road but turned into the field... wrecked the crap out of it.

GEDC1562.jpg

GEDC1561.jpg

GEDC1563.jpg

Deer season was over in Ok, so I went to my friendly farmers place to coyote hunt from Mon-Wed morning.

Deer hunters had things stirred up for sure, but I did manage to kill these two on my wed morning hunt. I had to leave by 9 am to go hunt with a good friend of mine, a little farther east from here, but I had enough time for a good set or two.
Hung my caller in a limb and got back 50 yds and started out with mouse squeaking. Two mins later a dog trots up to it, from his thick brush hangout, but it spooks when he saw it in the tree and spooks across the field, with me not taking any running shots. After a couple of mins of being mad at myself, I turned on red squirrel in distres, and a min later another dog does the very same thing... trots to the call... doesn't stop, but bugs out across the field, with me taking no running shots... dag-nab-it. Then... noise of vehilce's horn and yelling from a distant farm house caused another dog to bust out of the brush for an escape across the field. I was REALLY ready this time... wolfed him and he stopped for a easy broadside 150 yd shot, down he went from the 204... down but not dead, hit him in the spine, so had to send another finishing shot. So here I am... Happy now... and playing baby rabbit for a few mins trying to decide what to do next, when I look across the field and here come those two running to the call. When they got within 100 yds I turned the call off and they both stopped, which made a easy DRT for one of them. So now I'm REALLY HAPPY. I took these few pictures and got out of Dodge heading east to meet my friend.
It sure does pay to keep calling after shooting.

GEDC1577.jpg

GEDC1572.jpg

GEDC1573.jpg

Those dogs spooking at the sight of the call dangling from a limb has me thinking hard about doing something different.

GEDC1569.jpg

GEDC1570.jpg

The first dog was Big and Old with worn down teeth.

GEDC1576.jpg

GEDC1575.jpg

dry land is right... after 5 weeks of being out there... not a drop of rain touched me.

Everything is dry dry dry...

When coyotes howl... dust comes out as well.

Wish I had my scales with me to weigh that Big Dog.

I left 3... but don't shoot them... they're seed dogs for next year.

LOL.

I met up with my friend who also brought a few traps for bobcats, but only caught coons, skunks, and a porcupine. Trapping made it more fun by having something to look at in between calling stands.

The first evening he pulled in a female across a open wheat field with his foxpro fury, but let me send the 204 into her chest at 221 yds...DRT.

We stayed in his friend's cabin for a few days, which dragged my out of the van for awhile. That van was beginning to feel like home.

He shot his tack driving Steven's 200, 223... and I stuck with my CZ 204...not because of the caliber... but because of the Basix trigger. My two Savages have accutriggers on them... which will have to go or be adjusted as lite as possible... and my Tikka 595 22-250 has a pretty good trigger, that can probably be adjusted a little lighter. I only took it out once and killed a big male with it in Ks. After realizing what a PLEASURE it was to shoot the Basix trigger in the CZ... that I didn't shoot anythingelse... and I didn't miss a dog with it either... except for the very first one that came in for a chip shot, but I forgot about the lite trigger and touched it before the hairs were settled... stupid. That 204 dropped several dogs, even out to 300 yds, it's now my GO-TO-GUN.

We called in several dogs over the next couple of days, but only got these 6 shot, and he let me do most of the shooting.

GEDC1593.jpg

GEDC1599.jpg

GEDC1595.jpg

GEDC1594.jpg

GEDC1619.jpg

GEDC1614.jpg
GEDC1583.jpg

I would have killed more if I had better sounds on my echo call. It had enough for me to kill a bunch, but it's not able to take downloaded calls. My friend had a foxpro fury with some sounds I wish I had on my echo... guess I may have to upgrade.

I didn't realize it until the last few days of me calling by myself that the echo had some great squirrel in distress sounds that I should have been starting out with. There are some good sounds on there that I should have used instead of just starting out with some kind of loud rabbit in distress.

My friend had some good coyote whimpers that he used to call in males...which did work... and the cat and kittens... as well as the Tom and Jerry sound was super as well.... wish I had a few more extra enticements on hand. We'll see what the future holds.

Nice coyotes, and at least one of those coons looks like a monster!

Dan, I've really enjoyed reading about your trip so far. (You make it sound so easy, and it sure looks like fun!)
Thanks for sharing it with us.

I had one small accident... backed up into a oil pump jack fence railing... guess I'll have to take the bumper off and straighten out Jesus.

GEDC1641.jpg

It's been five weeks and one day since I left home... now it's time to take one last look at those Beautiful sunsets and get my butt home.

GEDC1556.jpg

Well I'm home already... and have mixed feelings about it, because it's hard to leave them doggies.

GEDC1640.jpg

It was a Great trip all around, met some Great people and made a ton of memories. I know you Guys are tired of seeing this thread pop back up all the time... but I do appreciate you all letting me share my trip, and giving me some tips and encouragement along the way.

Thanks so much... Dan

DSCF3006.jpg

thumbsup.jpg

Dan, looked like an awsome trip. I looked foward to seeing this tread. "Wonder what Dan got today!" Thanks for sharing.

neK... most of those pictures were not with the camera that you and I love so much...ONLY because my other little camera fit better in my pocket as I run around in the field. Now my wife is using your/our camera all the time.

Yellow... the coons were trap victims from my friend... one was a monster size coon. A coon dog would be in heaven out there.

I learned alot of stuff on this trip.

Wet-wipes are a must....

Hair triggers are a must...

A shooting chair with a stick attached across the back for a arm rest is a MUST....

Using softer calls like... mice, baby squirrels, meadow larks, female whimpers, and easier sounds like birds and such... are a must... instead of always just starting out with blasting rabbit.

Walking straight into the wind, setting your caller down, and setting your butt directly down wind 100 yds... can be a must sometimes if the set allows it.

Staying away from deer hunting season areas is a must...

Always play puppy in distress before you quit is a must...

Alway scan the area before and after a set with binos before you get up... is a must...

Having good friends is a must...

Taking your coyotes off your van before going into town is a MUST...

and I'm sure there are more must... or should be's... but that's all I can think of at the moment.

I started working on a log cabin today... Man O Man... it makes me miss those coyotes howling outside my van at night.

I have until Jan 1st to put some more deer in the freezer, then it's back after Mr Yotester... probably here in the Carolinas. Gotta try some mid-western tricks on these eastern dogs.

Oiltown... it's all there for the taking... and it doesn't take much to do it either. The big expense is in motel cost... if you can cut that out...then it's all down hill because only gas will be your biggest expense.

My hunting license in OK is good until July 1st... so I gotta get back out there again if possible before it runs out... unless they raise the gas back up again...which they probably will.

November is a good time to take these trips because they usually lower the gas prices, so as not to spoil Christmas, as you can see right now.

I traveled nearly 5000 miles on this trip.

Love the thread. Dan what a great trip. I have a group of friends from Sc that come out and we hunt every year. If your going to come out to ok again drop me a line, and I will try to make plans to meet up for a little hunting.

Back