ACCUTRIGGERS.... KEEP.... OR ..... TOSS.......???????

dan brothers

Last year when I shot coyotes with my savage 12, 223, with accutrigger for the first time... I realized that style of trigger felt wierd in hunting situations...but I worked with it.

Well... this year... they felt harder to pull through on... while trying to keep those crosshairs on a dog at longer yardages.

I fell in love with the custom trigger on my CZ 204 so much, that just touching the trigger fires it... which made for EASY SHOOTING... and MORE ACCURATE SHOTS.

I know everyone loves accutriggers... and for targets, it's fine...but for hunting... I ain't gett'n it. I have to get them adjusted to their max lightness... or... they are going down the road.... and they may anyways, because I just love knowing that just touching the trigger fires it, without worring about finger pressure and trigger control... and all that stuff so much of the time.

Either you guys have to help me get these things down to a hairs breath... or point me to a good reasonably priced replacement trigger.

Dogs at 100 yds are not to tough... and broadside is not to tough... but when they are 2-300 yds... and better... and are facing straight on chest shots... and it's windy.... THEN THE TRIGGER SENSITIVITY IS EVERYTHING TO ME. I've heard talk about triggers being EVERYTHING, all my life...but that bell never rang inside my head as loud as it does now.

Any and all help will be appreciated....thanks...Dan

You can make them quite nice if you can figure out how to adjust it beyond what Savage has built into their design. There is a section on Rimfire Central on how to adjust the rim fire version. The same can be done on center fire rifles. I have both my model 111 and model 12 done into ounce's.

Yes, that is the link.

The following is not intended to be instructional and under no circumstance should be used to modify a savage accu-trigger!

I have trimmed the main spring till I got it down to the desired weight. But go in small increments, and do it on the lightest possible factory setting so if you go beyond the point where the sear stays engaged on a bolt closure you can use your accutrigger tool to tighten it back up till it stays engaged on closing the bolt.
I have gone too far! Its not terribly unsafe cause the accutrigger sear engagement guard will catch the hammer, but be careful and just do a little at a time till you get it as light as you like.

Last edited:
took me couple hundred rounds to get used to mine, they are set at 1.5 pounds, i do like them now at first i did'nt.
rifle basics has a good trigger for savages

I just "adjusted" my accu-trigger over the weekend and although the blade part of the trigger is annoying, it breaks clean now, with no noticeable creep.

can anything be done about the blade creep... I guess I want it like a normal trigger... Basix is what is in my CZ. Looks like they have a drop in replacement for savage rifles for 150.00... that's 300.00 for two rifles...wow... that has me thinking about first trying a super adjustment process... which now sounds possible... now to get rid of the blade creep.

PS... if I pulled these accutriggers...would people buy them... if so... what are they worth...?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dan brotherscan anything be done about the blade creep... I guess I want it like a normal trigger... Basix is what is in my CZ. Looks like they have a drop in replacement for savage rifles for 150.00... that's 300.00 for two rifles...wow... that has me thinking about first trying a super adjustment process... which now sounds possible... now to get rid of the blade creep.

PS... if I pulled these accutriggers...would people buy them... if so... what are they worth...?

Here is a good link for the "blade removal procedure"
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._Trigger_Redeux

No the whole point of the accu-trigger is to make it feel like a nice two stage trigger. Other then the safety it provides be blocking the sear engagement.

I like my accutriggers and have then set 1.5 lbs on all my varmint & hunting rigs. The sear is there for safety as stated above.
On my older non accutriggers I put a Savage #2 basix in them, perfect trigger if you want to pull the accutrigger out...if you toss it out..toss it my way.

I don't really notice the accu trigger on my rifles. I shoot my rifles every week and in the summer I ran over 500 rnds combined thru my 2 savages that I dont notice the accu trigger design. It's like wearing a seatbelt,eventually you don't even notice you got it on after use enough.

they are good for targets, and I've shot them alot on targets...but when I'm trying to pull off a shot on a coyote that has just stopped for a moment... it's then... that it feels funny pulling in the blade before contacting the trigger... because my mind says it should have shot already when I touched something. My Basix trigger shoots when you touch it, but it's wierd when your touching the blade first, and then have to feel/touch the trigger... it's like two different feel things I have to think about when I don't need to be thinking about anything except the aiming. It may just be me... but I can't do it for hunting... don't have enough brain/feel power I guess.

What would they sell for if I sold them...?

Can you even feel that blade if wearing gloves? That could be touchy. My brother just bought one and when shooting paper I find myself paying more attention to what I feel with my finger than I do focusing on my target which while hunting wouldn't be good.

Willy... it looks like their trigger cost 195.00...plus it has to be fitted in house... which cost more as well... if I'm reading it right. The Basix is a drop-in for 150.00... but thanks for the headsup.

I go back and forth between Accu-Triggers and Non on my hunting guns and don't even notice the difference. I like to be able to feel my triggers as I hunt with gloves or mittens most of the time, that said I don't like triggers with any creep the Sav works well. On my target guns I like a Non and have a [beeep] Comp trigger on my Sav and a tuned Rem on my 722 HB 22-250.

Originally Posted By: dan brothersWilly... it looks like their trigger cost 195.00...plus it has to be fitted in house... which cost more as well... if I'm reading it right. The Basix is a drop-in for 150.00... but thanks for the headsup.

They are $102 with sipping for Fred's basic trigger and you can install it. (12oz to 2lb) It is also for sale a Brownell's website. You are writing about the benchrest trigger.

Back