Z71 vs Rubicon

daddyflea

I have been looking for another 4 Wheel Drive for at least 6 years ever since I bought a 2 wheel drive Pickup. I was looking at a Jeep Rubicon because I have had several Jeeps and I know they are not true 4 wheel drive unless you buy a Rubicon. Problem with the Rubicon is that they have way too much Computer Crap in them and no real engine to pull trailers. I pull Trailers a lot and sometimes they are heavy. A Jeep Rubicon is also way expensive. I found a 2010 for $29,000 that had over 60,000 miles on it. I finally found a 2012 Chevy Z71 loaded with 2600 miles on it with 60,000 mile warranty Bumper to bumper with a 5.3 V8. I bought the Chevy for 28,000 because it also has Lockers on the Rear End, so this is true 4 wheel drive. Did I make the right choice?

I don't know what you consider heavy as far as trailers go but no gasser made these days are geared for pulling much.
Everyone wants pickups to ride like Cadillacs and to accomplish this something has to be compromised.

Last edited:
The Jeep is great for tight areas but overall I personally would like the Chevy better. Throw a hard cover on the bed and you have a huge lockable storage area for hunting. You also have the cab space that is a bit more sealed than a soft top jeep or even the factory fiberglass. The truck will be a nice vehicle for a lot of tasks and can tow a decent trailer. As long as you are not pulling big weight you should be golden!

Most "true" four wheel drives (these days)....are really only two wheel drives anyway.
My 5.3 works ok for towing but certainly not set up to tow 8000# trailers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hunter GathererMost "true" four wheel drives (these days)....are really only two wheel drives anyway.

Yep, you got that right - I have a decent LSD on mine but nothing like a locker when you really need traction.

OP: when you say tow heavy, what are you talking weight wise? There are a few things you can do to make anything a better/safer tow rig if needed.
Congrats on the new truck by the way!

I have a 3 Horse Steel Trailer that I haul Horses in but I rarely ever pull it with my Truck. Wife has a One Ton for that. I usually pull a 12 ft Flatbed with my Kawasaki Mule in back. In the Spring I have a Mudboat that gets a lot of use and requires 4 wheel drive to launch. I have already found the 5.3 is not an economy vehicle especially with a Trailer behind.

I may need to add overload shocks on the back to increase my load carrying capacity.

I have a wrangler, they are toys. Not roomy, not a lot of power, not much for towing, not much for braking, not good for leisure riding. They are good compact vehicles that can take you where you need to go. Just don't plan on taking much with you and hope it is a short trip. I pull an ATV on a utility trailer behind mine and have had it push me down the road when I had to jump on the brakes. I plan to get something similar to the Z71 this year for more room, comfort, and towing ability. I think the truck was a good choice.

For what your wanting have you considered a toyota pickup? The things will outlast you, its crazy, I have a 95' with 260k on it and I pull my four wheeler with it, its lasted 6 years on the trapline and still goin strong.

I can't remember for sure how my Z71 is equiped from the factory. I's a 95, that I bought new, but when in 4WD, both rear and front lock in solid. It pulls like a tractor in the mud, but is a booger to turn tight if it's slick.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 I can't remember for sure how my Z71 is equiped from the factory. I's a 95, that I bought new, but when in 4WD, both rear and front lock in solid. It pulls like a tractor in the mud, but is a booger to turn tight if it's slick.

Shayne

I think the Z71 is the only truck that comes with a Locker on the Axle standard equipment. I have had a lot of Jeeps and was Generally satisfied with everything but the AC, but this new breed has way too much computer crap with no real guts. The Chevrolet has an engine that does seem to pull. The second day I had it, I was forced to pull the Horse Trailer with just one Horse in the Three Horse Trailer but it pulled it fine. I don't like all those auto locking doors but I do like the Thermostat temp control. I bought it for the 4 wheel drive but I hope I never need it. Come Sandbass season that 4 wheel drive will get a test pulling the Mud boat.

You made the right choice for all the reasons mentioned above. Doesn't sound like you're really pulling anything heavy so you should be ok.

Had an 06 Z71 and now have a '10 Rubicon. The Jeep has by far a better 4x4 system than the Z71 had. The Z71 was not even close to true four wheel drive as the Gov-lok is only a glorified limited slip system and not an actual locker. Just my 2 cents. As stated, Yotas are very good.

Last edited:
I think the 5.3L is a fine motor for the average load. I have an 02' with 4:10 gears and air bags in the back pulling this load I have no problem going 75 down the freeway. Other than the gas mileage with this load I have no complaints. And by the way this is a 1976 26' trailer that ways in at 6500#'s.
1350579452648_zps31f7e6f0.jpg

The Chevies are nice but I'm a Cummins guy. And sound like you got a 3 wheel drive since the front axle is open. I would have went with a power wagon from dodge if it were me. That was my favorite truck I have owned. Just couldn't tow like its diesel brothers. And can't get a cummins in the power wagon trim.

You still have a three wheel drive because your front is open. And its not a true locker in the rear its a crappy govlock, but for normal uses they are fine and you def made the right choice for pulling. Not that they are any count for pulling but some of the toyotas (trd package) come standard with a e-locker a true locker. Mine has it.

So far other than gas mileage no regrets on the truck. Gets about 14 normally. I do hate those automatic locking doors they bug me big time. I did check out Dodge. Son inlaw is a Dodge Dealer, but Dodge only offers limited slip and usually this is rear only. I agree with the Toyota but you have to get full size trucks to pull anything. I had a couple of the small ones and they did not have enough power to pull a boat trailer. I pulled the Horse trailer with two horses a couple times now and it will pull them 70 mph no problem.

I also have a Mule that is technically 3 wheel drive but in all things you must make some trade offs. Had a Rhino prior and it was really 4 wheel drive and smooth riding. Used gas terribly. Most times in real cold weather it would not start. The biggest drawback to the Rhino was the plastic floor. I ran several sticks all the way through almost breaking my leg. The Rhino was loud and hard on tires. Looking back I will take the 3 wheel drive Mule over the Rhino any day.

Back