Rainier Arms

Grizzly Johnson

Reading another thread about AR barrels, Rainer Arms was mentioned.... I went to their site and checked out their brand series of barrels.

The "Match" series with .223/5.56 chamber says they start out as Wilson blanks.....

I would just like to be as accurate as possible out to say 300 yards.... just predators/varmints.... no bug hole competition matches.... I'm not that good yet.

Would one of these barrels be a good buy?

Features:

Stainless Steel Match Grade Wilson Blank
Length: 18" SPR
Twist: 1:8
Thread Pitch: 1/2 X 28
.750 Gas Block Seat
.223 Wylde Chamber
Rifle Gas System
M4 Feed Ramps
SPR Contour
Bead Blasted Finish
Weight: 2 lbs 9 oz

They are listed at $250

If I had to, would bump up to a "Select Match" at a last resort:

Features:

Stainless Steel Match Grade Shilen Blank
Length: 18" SPR
Twist: 1:8
Thread Pitch: 1/2 X 28
.750 Gas Block Seat
.223 Wylde Chamber
Rifle Gas System
Ratchet Rifling™
M4 Feed Ramps
SPR Contour
Bead Blasted Finish
Weight: 2 lbs 9 oz

They are listed at $365

I have the match version and am very pleased with it. I've shot six different factory loads under. 75 at 100 with two of those right around. 5".

I don't have any experience with either one, but I would say you couldn't go wrong with either. Thanks for the heads up, I 'm going to check them out myself.

My 2009 vintage RRA PP has a Wilson SS 1-8" with a Wylde chamber and is a very good barrel that never shows any copper on the cleaning patch and shoots very sub moa groups with my handloads. I doubt it's a "select match" but it's a high quality barrel that's for sure. When you are ready for bug hole competition this barrel won't handicap you.

Here are some targets from my Rainer barrel. These are reloads and some factory. This was my first day shooting with this setup at 120 yards. Why 120 you ask??? We turned our original concrete slab intended for shooting into a skinning shed so we setup under the overhang of the barn and the berm was already built.

2012-11-14144047.jpg

2012-11-14144040.jpg

2012-11-14144025.jpg

I want to hear more about that 308 ultramatch. I am sending back a 308 select barrel that just doesn't shoot how I want and going for the ultramatch, it will be an 18" because they're out of 20's. I think that will be fine on a 308 and will make it a little lighter also.

Rainier's cs is top flite, to the op rest assured that if your barrel doesn't shoot up to snuff, they will refund or exchange it, without the 3rd degree or any hassle.

Mine is 18in standard profile. I put it on a DPMS 308L that I could not get to shoot the way I wanted. I guess I expected to much from to little. Anyway I replaced the stock barrel with the ultra match and to say the least I am happy with the results. I am not an expert shot so the posted targets are about the best I am capable of. In the hands of a pro I am sure tighter groups are possible.

I have the Rainier Select 5.56 barrel and it is great. My next build will be a 6.8 and it will likely be made of Rainier parts. Not sure who makes the Select grade barrels.

Originally Posted By: RightsideI have the Rainier Select 5.56 barrel and it is great. My next build will be a 6.8 and it will likely be made of Rainier parts. Not sure who makes the Select grade barrels.

According to their website, the select match barrels are made from Shilen blanks.

Originally Posted By: Grizzly JohnsonOriginally Posted By: RightsideI have the Rainier Select 5.56 barrel and it is great. My next build will be a 6.8 and it will likely be made of Rainier parts. Not sure who makes the Select grade barrels.

According to their website, the select match barrels are made from Shilen blanks.

From what I have seen on their sight, the Ultra Match barrels are Shilen blanks. Haven't seen where they say what brand the Select barrels are but have heard they are BHW.

I will also add one more +1 for Rainier. I have always been very happy with my purchases from them and there have been more than a few.
smile.gif

Back