Ballistic-type reticle experience

sscoyote

Sometimes when i go out hunting i take my friends kids along as i like the excitement of youth hunting experiences-- it reminds me of my youth some, i guess. We wer out a couple days ago coyote hunting on 1 of the ranches. We topped a sandhill, and started glassing around when i thought i saw something a long way off. So we gathered our gear, and started moving toward it, but didn't get far, and noticed that what i was looking at in the mirage of midday was a couple stragglers form a herd of antelope. But on the way back, i decided to take a look at 1 of the kids guns he likes to tote around-- it's a Marlin 795 .22 RF that i guess is real accurate. He's got a Simmon's 3-9X rifle scope on it with the plex reticle on board. When i looked at it, it looked to me that the plex post tip was down around 6 MOA or so. So on the walk back to the truck i started telling the kid how the scope could be used in a tactical manner as a 2nd zero, and how with a 100 yd. zero it was probably on at about 175 +/- or so. I also told him that with a lower magnification change to 4.5 power it would double the post subtension and would act as a 3rd zero out to about maybe 200 or so. The kid's a pretty savvy shooter, and he seemed to pick up on this info pretty well. Just before we get back to the truck we passed thru the edge of a big pr. dog town, and the dogs were quite active, so we decided to try some shots before moving on. I pulled the laser and got a couple readings @ about 275 on some dogsso i told him if he cranked the cope all the way down the subtension should be 3X what it is @ 9X, around 18 MOA, which oughtta be close. His 1st shot from the bipod-mounted gun was a little low-- on for windage, so he held a little higher, and voila hit (this kid's a real shooter)-- the dog runs all around , and just before he ran into the hole, the kid shoots again, and killed the dog right on top of his mound. Another pr. dog also bit it out there amongst the group with a couple hits, but of course a couple went into their holes before giving up the ghost. He ended up with 2 dogs to his credit @ right around 275 yds. with a 22 rimfire-- i thought that was pretty neat-- so did he! He probably was 1 for 2-3 shots way out there.

When i got back home i gave the kid 1 of my little silhouette targets-- a cinder block mold from the long side. I've rigged up a system wher i put 2 pieces of rebar in the ground, put 2 plastic PVC tees on top, and slide another piece of rebar thru them, and hang the target with some rubber bungee type s-hooks thru 2 holes burned thru the upper edge. The system works perfectly, and i carry it around in case i need to check 0 occasionally. The kid went out and got some white spray paint, and started doing some of his own testing at his place. He's got some pictures of it, and i've convinced him to try and write an article (for TVHM) on the tactical aspects of long-range shooting with a 22. We'll see.

Back