Canned carp

yotehunter57

In the past couple of weeks I've canned several pints of carp. If you like mackeral patties or salmon patties, carp is as good as either, but not as strong as mackeral.

Shayne

sick.gif

I have never eaten carp but have tried buffalo and white amur (grass carp). I didn't like the grass carp, they tasted just like their name.

We use to put on a bowfishing tournament down on the Cooper River in SC and we would give away the fish to anyone that wanted them. Those people would push aside a nice catfish to get to a carp. They must have been good because they would fill up the trunk and the backseat with fish before they left.

I've never eaten a freah carp, I've been told they taste like CRAP ( carp, crap, get it? ), but the old timers allways canned them.
I have eaten lots of fried buffalo in the past and don't want anymore.
I did can some buffalo the other day to see how they are. Right now I'm canning the scraps of the carp and buffalo to seeif they can be used for coon bait in live traps.
The canned carp DOES make excellent fish patties. The buffalo is yet to be seen.

Shayne

Carp is probably the best canned fish I ever ate.
I like it straight from the jar with a little Frank's hot sauce and Saltine crackers.
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 In the past couple of weeks I've canned several pints of carp. If you like mackeral patties or salmon patties, carp is as good as either, but not as strong as mackeral.

Shayne

HOw about a recipe. What kind of carp?

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57 I've never eaten a freah carp, I've been told they taste like CRAP ( carp, crap, get it? ), but the old timers allways canned them.
I have eaten lots of fried buffalo in the past and don't want anymore.
I did can some buffalo the other day to see how they are. Right now I'm canning the scraps of the carp and buffalo to seeif they can be used for coon bait in live traps.
The canned carp DOES make excellent fish patties. The buffalo is yet to be seen.

Shayne

You may or may not have been told wrong. I've eaten a few fresh, early in the year before the water warms in the shallows. Most of them in the 3 - 5 lb. range. Fileted them out and tossed them on the grill with a little Lowrys, just a hint of garlic powder, and lots of lemon pepper. And, honestly... they were pretty tasty.

Have eaten a bunch of them smoked. Again, stay with the smaller ones, nothing more than 5 - 6 lbs. Brine them, let them set for 24 hours, change the water and let them soak in fresh water for about 8 hours, then smoke flesh side down first, so you cook the oils out of them. THEY'RE EXCELLENT!!

In both cases there... you're using a cooking method that allows the oils to be cooked out of them. Frying wouldn't allow that. In both cases, the fish we cooked were taken early in the year, from water that was probably in the 50 - 60 degree range. I know we about froze wading the shallows shooting them.

Likewise, canning cooks the oils out of them.

I'm sure you probably did, but be sure to cut out all dark meat on the outside of the fillet. Slit the filet either side of the lateral line at the tail, and gently pull to peel the fillets apart along the lateral line to remove it. That will remove most of your stronger flavor, oils, and any chemical or heavy metal contaminants they have absorbed into their system.

Originally Posted By: RedfrogOriginally Posted By: yotehunter57 In the past couple of weeks I've canned several pints of carp. If you like mackeral patties or salmon patties, carp is as good as either, but not as strong as mackeral.

Shayne

HOw about a recipe. What kind of carp?

Recipe?

I was broke as a joke a couple years ago and went and got some nice carp. I breaded them and baked them, not bad, but I turned everything I didnt eat into carp salad sandwiches. A little BBQ sauce in the sandwich and that was good stuff. My boss didnt let me forget about those sandwiches for the next couple years, he was supprised I lived through it.

No worries, I got a good job now but I like trying new stuff and this sounds good.

Back