~ Lets see some STONES ~

Ricky Bobby

What kind of stones are you all using to keep them blades wicked sharp?

I want to hear about your sharpening process and/or techniques. Pictures are always welcome! I'm all ears.

wink.gif

2muchgun

Thanks for the info!

Let me ask this a little differently ... Let's say you lost all your knife sharpening tools & you have to start all over from nothing. What bench stones or sharpening products would you feel are necessary to obtain, in order to maintain your knives edges?

What type of stones? What type of grit? Would you include a diamond sharpener? What sizes of stones do you prefer? Etc. Etc. Etc.

I have zero credibility in the knife world. But I do have an india stone. I love it. I also have a cheepy 10 dollar lansik pocket stone, I actually have about 5 of them, I keep them everywhere....my desk drawer, center consol, my pocket, you name it. They are kinda my worry stone, safety blanket. I hate dull knives.

I have a LOT of knives, so need a bigger stone at times.

If you look at the pic, you will see a very large 2-sided stone in the back. I don't remember the grits. It is fine/course.

Under it, you will see a yellow Schrade diamond impregnated sharpener. I use this on pocket knives all the time. $15 well spent. I have used the [beeep] out of it.

Straight to the right of that (next to the 22° jig) is a simple Arkansas stone. It is a medium to fine grit. That and a extra fine grit Arky stone(below it) will take care of 90% of your needs.
AC6A5C66-8CD4-4CCC-A456-AAD6C23B4D31-196-00000025337F0B0F.jpg

Some form of quality leather strop is also nice to have.
15907D13-DE06-4057-8C93-8CA5607681ED-196-00000024B16E4F31.jpg

I do not own any electric sharpeners, or fancy sharpening systems. It took some practice over the years, but I am able to get a quality edge on most anything without these items. Practice is all it takes. You also need to learn how to do it without scratching up the blades. This takes practice also, but it will come to you.

Buy a crappy new model Schrade or some other Chinkwanese steel knife. They are very hard to put a good edge on. But they will teach you how in the process. (I'd start out with a fairly straight blade. The more curves, the harder to sharpen.) If you scratch it up, so what? Who cares?

Thanks Ken!

That was the type of answer I was looking for.
smile.gif

From what I'm gathering ... 2 different grit size stones(one of them an Arkansas) & a nice leather strop should take care of most my sharpening needs!

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Ward H.I have zero credibility in the knife world. But I do have an india stone. I love it. I also have a cheepy 10 dollar lansik pocket stone, I actually have about 5 of them, I keep them everywhere....my desk drawer, center consol, my pocket, you name it. They are kinda my worry stone, safety blanket. I hate dull knives.

I also have a medium India. I wouldn't trade it for a hundred Arkansas stones. Where did you get yours? I could always use another.
If I remember right, I got mine at a flea market.
My dad used to get them from Teletype, before he retired. An India is what I learned to sharpen with.

Like you, I hate a dull knife, even our butcher knives will shave. A few strokes on the India, and then a few strokes on an old leather belt and WALA.

Shayne

Back